Getting frustrated

Options
I had my fourth baby February 6th, weighed my self February 22nd and started counting calories. I needed to lose 2 and a half stone to get to pre pregnancy weight, and a further stone to my goal weight. I've lost 9lb so far, which has been about a pound loss every week (except last week, after Easter I gained 1lb). I have done this though dieting alone.
Monday I went to the gym for the first time, I also went Wednesday. I'm trying to ease myself back into it and plan on going 3 times a week.
I was expecting to see a good loss this morning as I have stuck to my calories and excercised. I have only lost a pound and it's disheartened me. I took a photo of myself last Friday, then one today and I can see a difference so why is it only a pound on the scale? I feel so disheartened.
I need to lose 24 pounds by August 12th when I'm a bridesmaid for my sisters wedding. It feels like I'm never going to get there :(

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you continue to lose weight steadily, and even more importantly, if you continue to "see a difference", what happens if you don't make your goal, which at this point only sounds like a scale number? Will you stop doing what is obviously working because it's not working fast enough?

Starting a new workout without that being in your routine is one of the notorious things that cause additional fluid retention at the beginning. Inflammation, muscle repair and the like could be holding up your scale progress.

ETA - Congrats on baby #4!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Adjust your expectations. You are losing at a good rate. Congratulations on the baby.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked, clothes came in sizes to suit certain measurements, not a certain weight... You should be looking at the positives - seeing differences in photos in a week is fantastic progress and will get you closer to fitting in a dress than a drop in weight.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A lb a week is awesome, and in my experience sustainable, I agree you need to adjust your expectations. If you keep at the rate you are going you should have around 20lbs gone by august, try to just settle in and stick to your plan. Weight loss takes time and persistence. Its not the overnight miracle it is made out to be on TV.

Keep up the good work!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about the scale. In fact, every time I start or increase my exercising, I typically either see a stall or a gain! And despite what well-meaning friends claimed, I KNEW there was no way I was building a pound of muscle in a matter of days. The first few times, it was so discouraging that I stopped exercising. Don't make my mistake! It's normal for your body to retain water when you increase exercise, but as it adjusts to your new activity level, that water weight will come off fairly easily.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am actually surprised you lost this week. When you start with exercise, you tend to increase water/fluid retention as a means to repair muscles. But like others said, your expectation is what needs to change. You are losing at a good pace.

And weight really doesn't mean much. If you want to change you body shape, make sure you are including resistance training and eating adequate protein (.6 - .8g / lb) and you will see better improvements.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am actually surprised you lost this week. When you start with exercise, you tend to increase water/fluid retention as a means to repair muscles. But like others said, your expectation is what needs to change. You are losing at a good pace.

And weight really doesn't mean much. If you want to change you body shape, make sure you are including resistance training and eating adequate protein (.6 - .8g / lb) and you will see better improvements.

I figured that meant without the fluid retention from working out - she may have actually been down 2lbs this week (but that is a hypothesis that I couldn't prove)
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear, and doesn't always reveal itself when we expect it to.

Also, trying to lose X pounds before Y date is a frequent stress trigger for people. I know that the wedding is important, but try to disconnect your desire to lose weight from it. Making ifestyle changes is hard enough without throwing goal dates on top of it. :)

It sounds like you are off to a good start, so just keep doing what you've been doing and enjoy that sweet new baby.

Down 140lbs: My story.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Just patiently stick to your plan of a moderate deficit and moderate exercise.

1 pound a week is amazing.

This is a healthy way to lose fat for the long run.

I tried to get off my pregnancy weight as fast as possible. All my restricting did was cause binges and here I am 5 years later. I have 11 pounds to go to prepregnancy weight. Had I just chose a moderate way of losing weight and had been consistent I'd be at goal probably before now.

I know a wedding is an event that is mortalized in photos but it's only a 1 day event. Do this for the whole future.
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you're seeing/feeling a difference, that's what matters. The number on the scale can be misleading, because it's so easily influenced by things like water retention.
    Have you been tracking your measurements in addition to your weight? Using a tape measure on your waist and hips can give you a more accurate sense of changes. Doing that, along with paying attention to how my clothes fit, has been a better motivator for me than weighing myself.
    Good luck!
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm feeling more positive today. I'm not giving up
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    You are doing great. One pound a week is very reasonable. I had my daughter in November and I understand the desire to get back to prepregnancy but give yourself time and a break. Ten months growing a baby = a minimum of 10 months to feel/look/be normal again. Slow loss is so much healthier and maintainable than quick drops. Be kind to yourself momma!