Slow but making progress - anyone else?

Options
I started on here in early January. It's now almost the end of April, and I've lost 14 lbs (hurray!) with 22 left to go to reach my goal. (I'm 5'4", female, 41 yrs old, for context.) I do 25 - 45 min of aerobic exercise every day, which feels great. I usually exceed my daily calorie allowance, but not by a huge amount. When I started this endeavor I was determined to only do what I believe is sustainable - to make no changes I can't keep up long term. I eat pretty healthy but still eat pizza and chocolate sometimes!

I've tried making more drastic changes in the past - (attempting to give up all dairy, sweets, ect.) but could never stick to it. I like using MyFitness Pal because it makes me conscious of everything I put in my mouth (sometimes looking up the calorie count beforehand is enough to keep me from eating certain things, or eating much less of them), but I don't have to totally give up anything I like.

My weight goes up and down a bit, but the downward overall trend is encouraging enough to keep me going. I've realized that small consistent daily efforts make much more difference in the long run than having one "good" day. I rarely have a "perfect" day anyway! Originally I was hoping to be at my goal weight by the end of this summer, but things are going pretty slow so I may have to revise that. It's okay, though, as long as I can make the changes permanent. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can relate to this experience. Man, this is hard work, but seems to be worth it! The slowness is a little frustrating, though.

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,137 Member
    Options
    Slow is good! You have a long time to keep on going. I took many years of trying, and finally really pushed through to my good weight range about 5 years ago. This was post-menopause when everything is slow but it works! I have won and lost and won and lost the inspiration to keep up a good level of exercise - mostly winning because it really DOES feel great. Strength gets rid of pain as you age - so you are at a perfect time to set in those habits forever. I love your attitude, and that you see this as for life. Keep portions down, enjoy, and gradually it all pays off. You've got this!
  • kristinzilka
    kristinzilka Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Slow loser here too. I've lost 20 pounds since Dec. and have another 35 to go. I work out 3-4 days/week and stick to 1400 calories about 80% of the time.

It is frustrating though I am working so hard and people don't seem to notice my loses yet. I have to remind myself that I am doing this for my health and my children. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    on the slow training too - 11lbs since about November; but I'm trying to focus more on body composition, than losing weight - I'm tracking about .25-.5lb a week and have for the last 2 months but I'm down nearly 2 pant sizes
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    4 pounds lost this week but don't look now, a weekend is coming.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am a slow loser (lol) as well and I totally relate to you, OP! Sounds like what I have been doing with generally trending downward but periods of ups/no changes as well. I agree with approach too- I want this to be my LIFE not a momentary hurdle so I don't feel bad at all for slow weight loss. I am trying to lose around 30lbs by end of December but that is just to give myself a general goal to work towards so I stay focused in the long term not a "end all be all" type thing.

Good luck to all the other slowpokes out there! <3
  • Hallie82
    Hallie82 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yep 10 down since January. I've been in a gym boot camp for 6 weeks now and I'm guessing I lost 3 of those 10 then however I am seeing a physical difference so maybe changing to muscle?? I have two weeks left of the boot camp and then I'm going to concentrate on cardio, HIIT and eating this summer then weight training starting in the fall back at the gym. I'm at the point where I FEEL like I should be close to goal instead of 30 pounds away
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    It took a year to lose 30 lbs back in 2008/9. I counted calories, weight my food, didn't give up anything I loved, just shaved portions, weighed myself daily, and started exercising.

2017. Still maintaining that loss.

Slow worked for me. I don't log, weigh my food, or myself on a regular basis, but have kept up with the exercise I started when losing.

Cheers, h.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Im still new, (just over a month) but my weight was coming off pretty significantly in the first three weeks, and now ive been at the same weight for 5 days, I am thinking I will wind up being a slow loser too, I thought the first few weeks were too easy :( down ten lbs, 50 more to go!
  • long_for_me
    long_for_me Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Slow is good! Add me! I have lost 30lbs since November.
  • snooky211
    snooky211 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh this was a great thread to discover this morning as I munched on my toast and marmalade (!). I lost a steady pound a week for 10 weeks, and have stayed the same now for 8 weeks. I think that's ok, because I don't feel out of control and I know I need to up my game to lose the next 20lbs pound by pound. I'm trying to change my snacking habits for life, so am logging on each day in spite of exceeding my allowance and reflecting on how those snacks add up...

My problem is that I hate exercise, apart from walking. I spend a lot of time sitting drawing, and I know I need to be more active. I'm thinking about doing some fast walking regime...is that even a thing?
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'4", 62 year-old female. It has taken me 13 months to lose 40 lbs - about 6 to go. Very slow....at first it was frustrating, now I'm completely OK with it. I figure I put the weight on over about a 25-year period, so taking it off in a bit over a year is pretty damn good. I think permanent changes in eating habits are more likely to stick when they are realistic and manageable and not drastic....Also - daily exercise has really helped me to maintain a positive and optimistic state of mind - an invaluable tool when embarking on any kind of major lifestyle change.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I started in mid February (signed up at the beginning of the year, but...) and I was sure I'd be down to my goal weight by my son's birthday (June 5). Now that I see it won't be that easy, I'm resetting to be done by the end of the year and if I'm feeling ambitious, by September (when I go for my physical). My doctor doesn't know I gained 20 lbs since I last saw her and I've already lost it all so she never needs to find out, lol.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am going on 42 years old and I am 5feet 7 and I have about 58 pounds to go to reach a reasonable weight. I have lost 20 pounds since last November. Slowly losing and it's frustrating sometimes but I noticed when I try to lose faster the more it backfires for me. I have my weight loss on 1 pound a week but I don't always stick with my calories everyday. I don't include my exercise calories so on the days I overdo it by some I believe I have some banked. It seems like sometimes my weight falls easily and others it won't budge for weeks! I am learning to be ok with it however. My only issue now is that my face is getting skinnier and my skin is looking older now! Lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think that 1 lb per week is "slow"? It's quite normal! It might be slower than you "want", but maybe the expectation, rather than the result, is the real problem. It is easy to educate yourself and adjust to a more realistic expectation. Very few people worry about losing too fast, even though it can result in muscle loss and health probs due to inadequate nutrition.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I started in mid-January and have lost 15-16 lbs so far with mostly diet alone. Right now, I only walk for stress relief, to read my book in peace and mild exercise (I like being outside). It seems slow to me, too.. until I did the math and realized I was still on average losing nearly a pound a week (.92 of a lb to be exact). Made me feel slightly better about the loss seeming "slow".

I think it's hard to view as anything but slow when you have other people on here talking about how they lost 40 lbs in the same amount of time.. especially when you have as much to lose as I do (looking to lose about 70lbs total before I reevaluate my goals).

Just keep trucking on. :)
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Another slow loser here. Only about 3lbs down, but PT and his focus on strength training is really changing my body for the better, so I am happy with that. I feel better, and I am becoming more defined.

I have also learnt I really love doing weights. The sheer satisfaction of going up in weight is immense!

Height: 5'10"
    SW: 183
    CW: 179.4
    Goal weight: approx 160

Hoping to drop body fat % from current 29.5 to low twenties.

Happy to accept new friends for support!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started in mid-January and have lost 15-16 lbs so far with mostly diet alone. Right now, I only walk for stress relief, to read my book in peace and mild exercise (I like being outside). It seems slow to me, too.. until I did the math and realized I was still on average losing nearly a pound a week (.92 of a lb to be exact). Made me feel slightly better about the loss seeming "slow".

I think it's hard to view as anything but slow when you have other people on here talking about how they lost 40 lbs in the same amount of time.. especially when you have as much to lose as I do (looking to lose about 70lbs total before I reevaluate my goals).

Just keep trucking on. :)

Read more threads, most of them are nowhere near that fast, Most threads are people saying the same as you. Just stick with your plan and keep progressing. It took me 2.5 years to lose 150 lbs. It was faster the first 6 mo and slowed down each 6 months. It's not a race, it's a lifestyle change.