Unfried Green Tomato

Options
trophywife24
trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
I have 20 huge tomato plants in my garden to can tomato sauce with. I have billions of beautiful, bright green tomatoes out there.. I adore fried green tomatoes.

And what do I love more than a hot, sizzling, fried green tomato? Not being fat! :)

So I thinly sliced one up, tossed it in a little yellow cornmeal with salt, pepper, garlic powder, drizzled it with water (so it'll stick better, no egg dip) and re-dipped it in the corn meal.. baked it on a well PAM'ed cookie sheat for about 25 minutes on 350*.

It wasn't as perfect as one fresh out of the fryer but it was pretty dang close and fulled my need for that fix.. crunchy outside and mushy, hot sour tomato inside. So there's something to try for you fellow green tomato lovers. :)

Replies

• chellebelle620
    Options
    Great idea! I was looking forward to some fried green tomatoes this summer, and now I have a healthier alternative. Thanks for sharing!
  • louisvillelady
    louisvillelady Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Too funny just talking about that earlier and my husband said yum after saying to fry them in bacon grease and I thought wellno more fried green tomatoes for me . Thanks for solving my dilema
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    next time try using fiber one ceral that has been ground up in a food processor as your breading... ads LOTS of fiber... I use it in replace of breading on chicken tenders I made in the oven for crispy chicken strips and as a breading for fried pickles... also made in the oven!
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Yumm I havent had friend green tomatoes in years.. that sounds wonderful! Something We use to have growing up was pinto beans with garden lettuce , green onions sprinkled with bacon grease ohh myy... boy those were the days..lol
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I thought that was just the name of a movie. Sounds yummy, though.