Can't reach calorie goal

Options
I just started my first week and I'm having a hard time reaching my calorie goal of 2200. I can barely reach the minimum 1500. Any suggestions?

Replies

• tifarahmonteith
    tifarahmonteith Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some people find it easier to drink some of their calories per day. For example, if you're looking to gain, then making a smoothie with like..... a cup of milk, a banana, a tbsp. of peanut butter, a scoop of some kind of protein powder etc (then add some ice and blend) can help add about 500 kcal/day. Not sure what your age, starting weight, height, or any stats are, but I agree that for most men, 1500 would be way too little. I am a woman of 5'7", 148 lb and I eat more than that and still lose 1 lb per week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Kuzofruit wrote: »
    I just started my first week and I'm having a hard time reaching my calorie goal of 2200. I can barely reach the minimum 1500. Any suggestions?

Eat different food that is more calorie dense. Eat more of what you used to eat.
    Do not restrict yourself to a low fat, low carb diet.
    Have some avocado, peanut butter, cheese. Use condiments. Eat some bread, pasta or rice. Have a potato. Eat a couple of pieces of pizza. Have a steak. Eat some trail mix. Drink smoothies, juice or milk.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    add in more caloric dense foods
  • eagle_74
    eagle_74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bacon, French fries, Milkshake, Bagel with Cream Cheese, Slather butter on veggies, Nuts, Olives.

Drink Calories if you must. I wish I had that problem. lol.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Step 1: Make sure you are logging accurately. 1500 is actually a fairly low calorie goal and a lot of people who struggle to hit this are actually eating more than they think and that's why they are struggling.

Step 2: Once you know you are logging accurately, if you are still under goal, it's time to include more high-calorie items. Chicken thighs instead of breast, nuts, oils and even things like icecream, chocolate, chips etc.

This ^

@Kuzofruit if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings we can check for logging errors, which are very common when one first starts out.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Step 1: Make sure you are logging accurately. 1500 is actually a fairly low calorie goal and a lot of people who struggle to hit this are actually eating more than they think and that's why they are struggling.

Step 2: Once you know you are logging accurately, if you are still under goal, it's time to include more high-calorie items. Chicken thighs instead of breast, nuts, oils and even things like icecream, chocolate, chips etc.

I'd start with step 1 here first before just jumping into eating more. It may be that you're eating more than you think you are. How do you figure out how much you are eating? Do you use measuring cups, eyeball portion sizes, or do you weigh your portions on a food scale?
    Also, are you comparing food labels against what is in the database when you log? The MFP database is user maintained. Even the green checkmarked "verified" entries and barcode scanning are frequently incorrect, or nutrition on products may vary by country, so make sure your logging is accurate first.
    If you weigh your portions and you are ensuring that your logging is correct, then consider more calorie dense food.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Butter, bacon, bananas.
  • edwill3456
    edwill3456 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Have some desert or something you like to eat.
  • Kuzofruit
    Kuzofruit Posts: 22 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Eat different food that is more calorie dense. Eat more of what you used to eat.

I'm trying to lose weight and that's the reason why I am on a low fat/low carb diet and I'm being very picky with my food. I'm only looking for healthy foods.

How do you figure out how much you are eating? Do you use measuring cups, eyeball portion sizes, or do you weigh your portions on a food scale?
    Also, are you comparing food labels against what is in the database when you log?

I usually scan the barcode and then compare the results with the label. Unfortunately, I don't have a food scale. I do use measuring cups and if a food is in a different unit I would convert it (cups to oz). There are times when I do need to eyeball portion sizes (a wedge of cantalope for example) but I'm pretty confident my numbers are accurate.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I'm trying to lose weight and that's the reason why I am on a low fat/low carb diet and I'm being very picky with my food. I'm only looking for healthy foods.

How do you figure out how much you are eating? Do you use measuring cups, eyeball portion sizes, or do you weigh your portions on a food scale?
    Also, are you comparing food labels against what is in the database when you log?

I usually scan the barcode and then compare the results with the label. Unfortunately, I don't have a food scale. I do use measuring cups and if a food is in a different unit I would convert it (cups to oz). There are times when I do need to eyeball portion sizes (a wedge of cantalope for example) but I'm pretty confident my numbers are accurate.

A low carb and low fat diet is hard since you're cutting down two out of three macronutrients with a diet like that. You can still lose weight eating fat and carbs, so you might look into either allowing more of those or you're left increasing your high protein foods.

Also, be very careful converting something like cups to ounces. One is a volume measurement and one is a weight measurement and they're not comparable. Unless you meant to say you're converting between cups and fluid ounces, you could be getting some very screwy portion sizes.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

A low carb and low fat diet is hard since you're cutting down two out of three macronutrients with a diet like that. You can still lose weight eating fat and carbs, so you might look into either allowing more of those or you're left increasing your high protein foods.

Also, be very careful converting something like cups to ounces. One is a volume measurement and one is a weight measurement and they're not comparable. Unless you meant to say you're converting between cups and fluid ounces, you could be getting some very screwy portion sizes.

^^This. If you are trying to lose weight, it's the calorie deficit that matters, not the carbs and fat. I have a 50% carbs/ 30% fat/ 20% protein split, and I lost 80 pounds eating this way because I ate less calories than I burned.
  • Kuzofruit
    Kuzofruit Posts: 22 Member
    Options

It seems I've been making that mistake. I fixed my error and it looks like I've been over counting my calories. Any suggestions on counting without a scale?

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

It seems I've been making that mistake. I fixed my error and it looks like I've been over counting my calories. Any suggestions on counting without a scale?

Is there a reason you can't get a scale?
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Yep, go to Wal-Mart or wherever and get one. They are cheap.