Tracking weight on MFP

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
I've been tracking my trend weight on happy scale for over a year now. Maybe once a month or so Ive changed my current weight on MFP, but I've never done it regularly enough to notice this so I thought I would ask.

Yesterday I switched back to maintenance again...entered my current weight...and got my new calorie goal. Well...today I was down another pound on the scale, so just fooling around...I entered today's weight and MFP gave me a higher calorie goal.

I completely understand why it did that (I'm under my maintenance weight today), but never noticed this before since I've never tracked a daily weight here.

Does anyone track their weight on a daily basis here and go by a fluctuating calorie goal to maintain? Like my maintenance calories yesterday were 1420 and today it told me to eat 1670. Then tomorrow it could change again.

Replies

• bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would change it daily as water weight will make your weight fluctuate. That is just my opinion though.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Are you just switching to maintenance? Look into reverse dieting, but keep the numbers consistent.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    I've been at maintenance before. Just needed to whack off a few vacation pounds so now I'm starting to increase again.

That is what I was thinking though...as far as fluctuations. It makes perfect sense in theory, but I don't know....
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Well, I think day to day is to inconsistent to really have a baseline caloric value. I think that if you are at maintenance and have not gained weight to just slowly drop calories until weekly progress is made (old school method)

Bodyweight can fluctuate A LOT based on
    Water Content
    Bowl Content

so take it as you will just think day-to-day would be a little challenging to accurately predict, not to mention way more complicated on the diet side lol.

But hey at the end of the day all our journeys are our own. Good luck to you and your goals!!!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I input my daily weight into 'check-in', not into Goals. When you input your weight into check-in, then every time your weight changes by 10 pounds or so, MFP gives you a pop up to requesting if you want to change your goals as your weight has changed enough to warrant it.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I input my daily weight into 'check-in', not into Goals. When you input your weight into check-in, then every time your weight changes by 10 pounds or so, MFP gives you a pop up to requesting if you want to change your goals as your weight has changed enough to warrant it.

I never knew about "check in". Where have I been for the past 600 days here?!?? LOL!

I think it's weird that it lets you get all the way up to 10lbs before asking though! 5lbs sounds better to me, but what do I know? Nothing apparently!