amy winehouse vs. norway tragedy...

Options

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    reminds me of when Micheal Jackson died and Farrah, he was all over the news and barely anything about her.

EXACTLY

Also Princess Diana and Mother Theresa.

Exactly what I was going to mention.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    glad to find so many like-minds. don't get me wrong - it's a total bummer about winehouse. but, like most of you have already said, we *need* to get our priorities straight!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Death is not a tragedy. . .it is simply the end of life on earth.. .. May all of those that perished rest in peace~
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's sad that people think it's okay to value one life over another. Amy Winehouse had an addiction. If anyone would be sympathetic to someone caught up in the throes of addiction, I would think it might be members of MFP, many of whom are dealing with food addictions. I read on here daily people begging others for motivation, saying they need "cheat" days, stubbornly refusing to give up non-nutritious sodas because they *have* to have it. How many times do you think Ms. Winehouse said that about drugs or alcohol? How many diets have you started and failed?

The incident that happened in Norway is sad and tragic. That does not diminish the fact that Ms Winehouse was so unable to get control of her addiction that it appears that it has cost her her life.

If you think the people in Norway are not being properly mourned, why not focus on changing that? Why do we need to further diminish Ms. Winehouse's sad life by attempting to devalue it further?

Why can't we mourn for both?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    anyone else think it's backwards that her death seems to already be eclipsing the gunning down of nearly 100 people? what a world, what a world...

:grumble:

No ****. Who the hell cares about some 27 year old super-drugie who pissed an enormous amount of talent away. Screw her... The situation in Norway was horrible.
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It's sad that people think it's okay to value one life over another. Amy Winehouse had an addiction. If anyone would be sympathetic to someone caught up in the throes of addiction, I would think it might be members of MFP, many of whom are dealing with food addictions. I read on here daily people begging others for motivation, saying they need "cheat" days, stubbornly refusing to give up non-nutritious sodas because they *have* to have it. How many times do you think Ms. Winehouse said that about drugs or alcohol? How many diets have you started and failed?

The incident that happened in Norway is sad and tragic. That does not diminish the fact that Ms Winehouse was so unable to get control of her addiction that it appears that it has cost her her life.

If you think the people in Norway are not being properly mourned, why not focus on changing that? Why do we need to further diminish Ms. Winehouse's sad life by attempting to devalue it further?

I second that, regardless of how they died, at the hand of someone else or self inflicted, it doesn't change the fact that they are no longer living with us and in my eyes they deserve the same amount respect..

I hope that they are all at peace wherever they may be x
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Wow. Some of the posts on this thread are disgusting. I'm sure Amy's mum would love to read people saying 'who cares' about her death just because she was an addict.

You cannot put value on different lives and deaths. I was shocked by the news of both tragedies...it isn't a competition!!
    So if a smoker dies of lung cancer it's not as important as someone who was murdered because they caused it themselves?

RIP all of them :(
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's sad that people think it's okay to value one life over another. Amy Winehouse had an addiction.

I agree. Death is sad no matter what the circumstances.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Well said. I'm heart broken for the people of Norway and for Amy Winehouse's family.

As far as I've seen, most of the U.S. coverage has been on the Norway bombings/shootings, with some coverage of Winehouse. It's been appropriate.
  • lizhipwell
    lizhipwell Posts: 70
    Options
    Yes... It makes me sick. SHE did this to herself... SHE wouldn't get off the drugs... We all knew it was coming, who cares. The Norway tragedy is WAY MORE important than her death.

I agree that it is wrong that Amy Winehouse gets more press than the tragedy in Norway but that is just downright mean.

exactly. a life is a life. i hope you never have to lose someone you care about to addiction, or watch someone struggle and fall over and over again. let me tell you, it's heartbreaking.

I agree! ALL of it is heartbreaking! The reason we are here on mfp is to get a hold of our own demons to one extent or another. My Mom never took care of herself...even with all of the family intervening...she had diabetes and heart disease partly due to her own addiction to food, a tendency to binge and purge and smoke....even then we mourned at her dying too soon at 57 years old rather than getting mad at her for being unable to tackle her demons. Anyone dying is a sad thing...
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Eclipsing for who?.... not me. I'm sad for both tragedies
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    anyone else think it's backwards that her death seems to already be eclipsing the gunning down of nearly 100 people? what a world, what a world...

:grumble:

No ****. Who the hell cares about some 27 year old super-drugie who pissed an enormous amount of talent away. Screw her... The situation in Norway was horrible.

How insensitive. You wouldn't be saying who cares if it was someone you loved. This sentiment is the exact reason people die from addiction. People do too much blaming of the person and not enough helping and treating their problem.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Who's Amy Winehouse? Cool last name lol
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options
    I don't watch corporate news so I would have no idea about who is getting more press. I know my thoughts have been on the people of Norway. Sadly I have been waiting for something like this to happen for some time, I just didn't expect it to happen in Norway. There is so much hate and propaganda being pushed around and people spread it around not considering how it could affect others down the road.

As for Amy Winehouse it is sad. Some people have a harder time quitting drugs for a reason and it is NOT because they're bad people. For instance there is a link between ADHD and addiction and how the brain reacts to rewards. That's just a fact. I am not saying that is how it is for everyone, but to pretend that everyone is the same is nieve.
  • sparrows7
    sparrows7 Posts: 59
    Options
    :bigsmile: Death is not a tragedy. . .it is simply the end of life on earth.. .. May all of those that perished rest in peace~
    That's pretty easy to say when its not your kid being shot. I don't think there is anything to smile about in either of these situations.
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well sheesh people we can have a heart. Both instances are sad and could have been avoided. I don't think either one is "more important" than the other. Both things happen all the time in the world.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    What is this a league table for tragedy?
    Sick.
    Or maybe it is a rallying cry against public opinion being dictated by the media.... Yeah right.
  • TheTeeWhy
    TheTeeWhy Posts: 186
    Options
    The media only latches on to stories they think people will care about, apparently they think people care about a cracked out drug addicted flash in the pan pop singer, than a terrorist attack.(you'd think the USA would care about them more, even though it happened in another country, and I mean terrorist not in the typical sense the media paints them to be)

Gooooooood bless americaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    well I absolutely LOVED amy winehouse and am really really upset that she has died. She was a tortured soul and a creative genius and her music and her voice moved me. I think its an absolute tragedy that she couldnt even face sobriety no matter how many times she tried to get rehab. RIP AMY

Oh AND i care about the children who died in Norway. Thats an absolute tragedy too, but MY heart is big enough to care about all of it because im not an unfeeling MORON like some of you

You dont need to compare the two. Its not some sort of morbid competition
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i feel for amy's family i truely do, but i admit to having little sympathy for amy herself, whilst i know that addiction is hard to beat, she had so many chances to turn her life around and had a much stronger support network than a lot of other addicts do and she wasted those chances and i think this is a great shame.

but i have been very annoyed with the ammount of coverage her death has received in comparison to the deaths in norway and china, especially when 2 seperate news reports (on different channels) have reported it as being the main news this weekend, one (bbc3) even said it was the only news that weekend on one of its reports on saturday