Why am I not losing weight? (Macros included)

2»

Replies

• nikkibay8
    nikkibay8 Posts: 23 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    a surplus of any one macro will not cause you to gain wieght. Your not in an overall caloric deficit is all it comes down to. How did you pick 1400 and 1550?

I calculated my BMR for maintenance and then created a deficit at approximately 15%. A few different calculations gave me a healthy weight loss at 1400-1500 calories.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    edited April 2017
    nikkibay8 wrote: »
    For the past 6 weeks, I have been eating 1400 calories (1550 on workout days).
    5'4.5"
    136lbs

First of all, I think you are at a fine weight and it sounds like you are fit as well. Fantastic! Go celebrate!

Second of all, any calorie calculator (including the built-in MFP set-up) will tell you that at your height and weight, (ignoring exercise and assuming you have a desk job), you will maintain your weight at about 1600kcals. To lose a pound a week, you'll have to go to 1100kcals per day. Check out this one.

But: Clearly, you need more calories to compensate for your exercise. There, you need to estimate carefully and eat them back sparingly. It sounds as though you are good at keeping track, so just keep at it and it will all work out!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »
    a surplus of any one macro will not cause you to gain wieght. Your not in an overall caloric deficit is all it comes down to. How did you pick 1400 and 1550?

I calculated my BMR for maintenance and then created a deficit at approximately 15%. A few different calculations gave me a healthy weight loss at 1400-1500 calories.

Your BMR or TDEE? You're supposed to deduct calories from your tdee, not bmr. My bmr is 1400 calories, but i don't go below 1600 cals to lose weight.

• PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    When someone is in a deficit doing lot of activity but weight loss stops generally the problem is a "whoosh" http://leanmuscleproject.com/how-whooshes-impact-your-weight-loss/

If it's not water weight and you're weighting and counting correctly, it must be a miscalculation somewhere.
    SideSteel wrote: »
    As far as the body-fat percentage goes I would honestly ignore it entirely especially given that the difference you are seeing is WELL under the rate of error in measurement.

Agree with this, 6 weeks is not a long period of time, the BF% and weight can vary for the above reasons but I'm not sure about your body measurements.

• nikkibay8

Your BMR or TDEE? You're supposed to deduct calories from your tdee, not bmr. My bmr is 1400 calories, but i don't go below 1600 cals to lose weight.

[/quote]

Both! Should have specified. BMR multiplied by my activity level to get my TDEE, then a calorie deficit.
  • nikkibay8
    I pulled a month of data and your intake looks reasonable. There were about 5-6 days out of the month that appeared to not be completely logged

These are my cheat days where I go out to dinner with my friends. Wondering if I am way overeating there.... I haven't really tracked those portion sizes..
  • acfarmgirl
    acfarmgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Look at what you are eating and when you are eating it. Look at your total carb intake. I keep mine below 150. Then reduce your calories by 100. Sometimes a slight reduction is all you need. If you have been doing the same workout for awhile. Modify or try a different work out
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    This web page is blunt but helpful: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

I lost 65 lb. by maintaining a consistent calorie deficit for nearly two years. Some days I was over my target, or even over maintenance, but on average, I was below. I then maintained for a year. And then I slowly put on about 10 lb. because there were days when I overate (on vacation, business trips, stress from a family illness) but I didn't compensate on the other days. I'm back on track now to lose them again by tracking more carefully and being honest with myself.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 402 Member
    I pulled a month of data and your intake looks reasonable. There were about 5-6 days out of the month that appeared to not be completely logged

These are my cheat days where I go out to dinner with my friends. Wondering if I am way overeating there.... I haven't really tracked those portion sizes..

You might have your answer right there. So you're not actually eating 1400-1500 calories a day, you are eating more than that if you have a large unlogged meal every six or so days.

I go out and eat in restaurants as well, but a) I refuse to call them cheat meals, I hate the name, and b) I log them, best that I can, even if it's over 2,000 calories. It keeps me in the know about how much I am eating.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Yeah if you've had several days where you have eaten significantly more than usual you could wipe a small deficit or at least reduce it enough that you won't see any scale loss for a couple of months due to water weight fluctuations.

You should start logging those just to see where you're at a bit better and make adjustments from there. It may be that you need to "bank" calories from earlier in the week to use on those evenings out to keep your full deficit. It's going to be very important with you having only a few so called vanity pounds to lose.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    You're also within a healthy weight range for your height, and it tends to be harder to lose when you're within a healthy range already.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    acfarmgirl wrote: »
    Look at what you are eating and when you are eating it. Look at your total carb intake. I keep mine below 150. Then reduce your calories by 100. Sometimes a slight reduction is all you need. If you have been doing the same workout for awhile. Modify or try a different work out

Food type does not affect weight loss. It's a calories game.

Carbs are not the enemy. People can lose on high carb too if they're in a deficit.