Just over 50 and beginning the journey

Options
Hello, happy Friday
Well, here I am and beginning my journey to shed some pounds mostly because I want to be as healthy as I can be. Anyone who has had success in saying good bye to 50 lbs, I would love to hear your success story. Thanks so much

Replies

• iamjen04
    iamjen04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No success yet but I am also over 50 and just started!
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There's a thread women over 50, starts new every month, check it out if you're interested
  • Patti705
    Patti705 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am over 50 and weight loss has been a life long battle for me....and defitenly has gotten harder in the last few years. Recommitting myself to eating better--that is my issue as the exercise doesn't bother me. I am looking for a few good friends to encourage and chat. I have looked at that over 50 and there are so many people I can't keep them straight and for me it's just reading along.....:). Let me now if we are looking for the same sort of thing, Either way, good luck in your journey.
  • lora54
    lora54 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, and good luck! I'm new as well!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Over 50 here also and unfortunately a yo-yo. I struggle with the last 10-15 pounds continually! But the upside is, I mostly keep at it and don't just give up. I have always struggled with my weight it seems. I am also a reader of the over 50 group. The ones that post seem very active. Not a success story yet, but a work in progress.
  • blackbearseatbeets
    blackbearseatbeets Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    50 years young... I check in often and trying to drop 30 lbs. Anyone is welcome to add me.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 and have lost most of the weight I wanted, about 55 lbs I guess. Still working on another 10 this year after maintaining last year due to injuries.

I found it fairly easy to lose the first 45 lbs and a bit harder now that I'm leaner than when I started. I don't like to starve myself because I workout pretty hard running and lifting weights so there's that issue as well.....LOL

I have a trainer whom I work with online after he left my gym and so I post my workouts for others to see to get some idea of what they might want to try.

Any of you can friend me if you want. I'm very active here
  • hbratset
    hbratset Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am nearing 50 (46) and I am struggling so much more than I did in the past. I am trying really hard to be healthy and active, and have health and being able to be active as my main focus instead of what the scale says. Please add me if you'd like.
  • morag20
    morag20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, am over 50...just ;-), and have decided enough is enough. Fed up being out of breath and having to "climb up" furniture to get up off the floor. Needing to lose 4 stone so have started going to cross fit...been twice so far and quite enjoying it, surprisingly. Cross fit trainer pointed me in the direction of my fitness pal to keep track of my progress, so i'll be dipping in and out.
  • Fran69fje
    Fran69fje Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 72 and trying again. Lost 23 lbs 3 yrs ago but gained back about 18 lbs. I was on a severe low carb diet for 6 months and was starving the entire time. Will add a more balanced diet and add more exercise although I hate it.
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Anyone else having trouble getting on food diary?
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Hello, happy Friday
    Well, here I am and beginning my journey to shed some pounds mostly because I want to be as healthy as I can be. Anyone who has had success in saying good bye to 50 lbs, I would love to hear your success story. Thanks so much

I'm over 50 and have dropped over 40 since Jan.

I'm doing it all through diet so far.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    wow, truly motivating. The greatest thing I discovered this year was like minded individuals.

OP
    275lbs was my peak freshman year high school, it has been 10 years sense then now, feel free to see my profile pics, I decided to take the plunge into the unknown. I worked very hard to get to those points physically but now its led me into a point now that, I feel theres no turning back!
  • jilliebuck5164
    jilliebuck5164 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Over 50, looking at a diabetes diagnosis. No longer want to carry around the extra stuff! Kids are grown and moved on, it's time for ME to do something for ME! Very excited to be a part of this journey with you all. Best to all, let's keep talking.
  • lallybc
    lallybc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    54 years young and motivated to lose 60 (again) - hit gym regular for weights but need to up my cardio . Unfortunately a stress eater and that just sneaks up out of no where , should also meal prep better -- looking forward to journey with health minded friends
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm 50, and living into 50 being the new 30! I'm happy to help and encourage you on your journey.
    I find MFP to be extremely helpful, just with the comprehensive data base and the community support. My diary is open, if you need food ideas.
  • Reversaldude
    Reversaldude Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new on here, 56yrs and want to lose 26 kilos. Started this week and so far feeling great about it, getting used to measuring in macro nutrients for a protein heavy approach, have a nifty excel ss which calculates my macro needs, which a guy in Georgia US whipped up, who had been through a time of his own and won, he also created a few page doc outlining how he did it, that is what I am following. and also using a 16/8 plus a 1/6 approach. Tuesdays will now be my 1 day. doing the 16/8 has been super easy and using an 8 hour eating window and then only eating whole and fresh with an emphasis on good protein is an absolute pleasure. started cycling around the palace most days, and will start back at the gym to get on the resistance machines say 2/6 days the other 4 will be mostly cycling while we have the summer weather in London.
    I am DB2 controlled by exercise and diet only, i will entirely shake that condition off, hence reversaldude, as I absolutely believe that it is a lifestyle choice not a disease. Happy to share any info and will post my journey.
    Anyone out there using IF with healthy eating and exercise?
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    E
    Fran69fje wrote: »
    I'm 72 and trying again. Lost 23 lbs 3 yrs ago but gained back about 18 lbs. I was on a severe low carb diet for 6 months and was starving the entire time. Will add a more balanced diet and add more exercise although I hate it.
    Fran69fje wrote: »

I'm 70 it's harder to
    Lose when you get older, do you find that? Good luck I'm sure the answer is there somewhere
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    I lost 50+ pounds at age 59-60 (while hypothyroid, BTW), and am now going into year 3 of maintaining a healthy weight, at age 62. For me, it was all about changing my eating (mostly portion size), because I was already fairly active. (I didn't change my exercise activity significantly.)

Weight loss turned out to be surprisingly simpler (not always easier ;) ) than I expected, and the rewards were huge: Formerly high cholesterol/triglycerides, now solidly normal - doctor's no longer recommending statins. Formerly high blood pressure, now normal to low normal. Pain from torn meniscus in one knee, and some osteoarthritis, formerly routinely uncomfortable and occasionally quite painful, now only giving occasional discomfort. Overall feeling of well-being, mysteriously much improved (lower systemic inflammation, maybe?).

So worthwhile: I wish I'd done it decades ago!

I didn't do any particular named diet (other than the vegetarian thing I've done for 44 years now, from thin to fat to obese to thin again). I just logged my eating here on MFP, tried to get solid nutrition, focused on eating foods I enjoy that gave me nutrition and helped me feel full, and worked my way through gradual improvement.