Is anyone else starving??!!

Options
I just starting my 1200 calorie diet 7 days ago and am STARVING!!! Does this go away?? I have a hard time falling asleep because I am hungry!

Replies

• jcummings69
    Options
    I just starting my 1200 calorie diet 7 days ago and am STARVING!!! Does this go away?? I have a hard time falling asleep because I am hungry!
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Some days I am,but usually only on the days I work out. I've been doing lower calorie diets for years (my whole life it seems) so I think my body has adjusted.

Also, is 1200 calories what was recommended to you or did you pick that number? If a higher number was given to you by this site, go with that one. It will help you feel better and make you less prone to cheat. :flowerforyou:
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    There are any number of reasons you're going through this. The first that I can think of is that your goals when you initially set things up are too steep for what your body is willing to participate with you on. The second is whether or not your exercising and not eating a little more but not to the level of your bonus points. The third is whether or not you're drinking enough water in your diet.

If it's any of these reasons then I would either adjust my goals, eat some healthy snacks in between meals (fruits or veggies), and/or drink more water.

There are times when I feel hunger pangs but it's because I don't eat to the calorie level that my exercising indicates I can. I'm allowed 1570 a day to lose 2lbs a week without exercising and 2100 if I do exercise. I kind of work my self somewhere in between but never to the max allowed on those days when I get hit by hunger pangs.

Without knowing more of your personal routine it's really hard to guesstimate what might be the problem.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Try adding more fiber to your meals along with drinking plenty of water. Also eat whole grains, and fresh vegetables along with lean proteins.

If you set your weight loss for 2 pounds per week, reset it for a 1 pound loss until you get used to this.
  • ashleyjea1985
    Options
    Hi! the first week-week and 1/2 was hard, your body is used to eating more.

after that your stomach gets used to not eating a TON..

also youc an find ways to add more food in your diet.

say, using spray butter instead of real butter is a FREE 200 calories to eat something else.
    or.... whole wheat bread instead of white might give you an extra 100 to eat something else.

also exercise will give you extra calories.
    1/2 an hour on an ellipitical gives you 300!
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that if you leave a couple hundred calories for an evening snack, it eliminates the going-to-bed-hungry problem. Overall, I have been hungry a lot while on this program, but what's helped is
    #1--I always eat all my calories, including all the ones earned by exercise
    #2. I eat at least 6-7 times a day. I have breakfast (usually oatmeal with some blueberries and cinnamon), then a couple hours later I'll have a hard boiled egg, then I'll eat 1/2 my lunch before I work out, then the other 1/2 of my lunch after I work out, then maybe an orange or some bread/peanut butter in the afternoon, then dinner, then a snack. Ok, I just counted, and that's seven times a day!
    It sounds crazy, but this keeps me from starving throughout the day. These days, I can't even imagine eating just a breakfast, lunch, and dinner - I would STARVE.

Also a couple times my body has DEMANDED food, even though I had eaten all my calories for the day. I listened and fed it anyway and then felt wonderful. Listen to your body--it'll let you know when you've done the right thing. (Unless it's saying, "Eat the WHOLE pizza, come on, you know you want to..." Then ignore it! :wink:
  • theGuest
    theGuest Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    yes,

im hungry all the time.

even when im not hungry im effing hungry!

but if you are having smaller snacks throughout the day it could be your metabolism is adjusting to the constant nourishment.

Your body is taking in the calories and burning them then telling you it needs more energy (calories)

so if you are hungry... its just your metabolism working in your favor.
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hello. I find since I have been eating lots of vegitables and salads I don't get hungery that fast. Even though some of my meals when I started dieting were only around 900 calories (I know that is too low now). The benifit of eating a huge salad is that you can eat like a half a bag of spinach or 200g for only around 60 calories. Also never forget your lean protein it will help you feel satisfied longer one should eat around 2 to 3 oz with each meal. 1/2 cup of strawberries or blueberries (eat blueberries frozen for a cool treat) can also a be a good snack since they are both low calorie and can be added in between meals or whenever hunger hits the worst.
    Also if you are still really hungry you might want to up your calorie intake to the recomended amount until you get used to eating less and then taper it off if you are feeling good.

Best of luck
    B
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do you find that having snacks makes you hungery all the time too? I've been doing the snack thing for a few days again and find that about a half hour after snack time I'm starving. I know it is my metabolism reving up but it sucks that I have to deal with hunger almost all the time because of it.
    The only thing I've found that helps is fill up on water or if I don't have the time to take a break just wait it out knowing that losing isn't going to be easy but it will be worth it and sometimes I find my hunger pains leave when I have either given it enough time or reaffirmed my goal.
  • Oreo64
    Options
    Possibly try this? www.applepatchdiet.com/jk70368 Works for me and I used to be ALWAYS hungry!
  • jcummings69
    Options
    The 1200 calories is what this site stated for me to loose 1.3 lbs a week. I do work out and eat additional calories based on what I burned. I have been going over the alloted protein allowance and under in the fat allowance. Some days I will have 100 + calories left but only in fat according to my food chart. What am I supposed to do, eat a tbsp of lard?? I do eat small meals through out the day as well. It seems as though no matter what I eat I am still hungry though!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about which nutrient (protein, carbs, or fat) the food is coming from. Just have whatever will fill you up. Anytime I have pizza or something sweet, I always want more and still feel hungry. If I have an apple, I usually don't want another one.

I took me over a month to train myself on the new diet. I would cut back to 1 lb a week. You can always go back down.

Good luck.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I've been at this for about a month and in the beginning I had horrible hunger pains, mostly at night. I eat dinner about 6:30 and usually go to bed my 10:00--so that seems like a long time to go without food, I mean, I wouldn't go more than three hours without eating during the day. The only thing I found that really worked for me was having some kind of warm drink in the evening.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    Hi! the first week-week and 1/2 was hard, your body is used to eating more.

after that your stomach gets used to not eating a TON..

also youc an find ways to add more food in your diet.

say, using spray butter instead of real butter is a FREE 200 calories to eat something else.
    or.... whole wheat bread instead of white might give you an extra 100 to eat something else.

also exercise will give you extra calories.
    1/2 an hour on an ellipitical gives you 300!

Well, lookie here.........the message finally got through to you!!!! You have to EAT to LOSE.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I can't make it through the day without snacks at midmorning, afternoon and before bed. When I started, I ate those 100 calorie sweet snacks like oreos, etc., and it did nothing to curb my hunger. Now I eat granola bars, an apple, yogurt or 100 calorie popcorn and it gets me through until my next meal. I always make sure I have 300 calories for snacking. It helps me to put my food in right away in the morning if I know what I'll be eating during the day. I can always change it if I need to. When I make good food choices, I'm always surprised by how much I actually can eat. I also am only aiming for 1 pound a week. I know I can't stick with it if I'm hungry and I want to make a life-style change, not just lose weight and get it back when I'm "done". I did find after a week or two of this, my hunger did reduce, just keep trying!
  • jcummings69
    Options
    Well apparently something must have been working because this morning was my weigh in and I am 7 lbs lighter!!! No wonder I was starving. I know that this was probably only a one time thing because my body is adjusting but I just hope that I don't gain it back!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If you are really low on your fat intake, as you said you are always below that, it could be contributing to your hunger feelings. You need good fats in your diet for your body to work correctly and to help feeling full. Try snacks like almonds, almond butter, avacado and light string cheese. That may help.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    (Unless it's saying, "Eat the WHOLE pizza, come on, you know you want to..." Then ignore it! :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kimford28
    Options
    I had that problem at first too... I did find that by eating more protien and fiber keeps you full for longer. Also, don't forget about drinking lots of water! that helps too!

:bigsmile:
  • kat1000000
    kat1000000 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had that problem the first couple of days and then i found stir fry!!!!!!!!! I cut up all kinds of fresh vegtables in my wok add a serving of chicken breast/shrimp or what ever meat i want that night. Add a touch of soy or whatever spices you like and stir fry it with a quick spray of olive oil. It's very good and you can really eat alot, and i mean alot and still stay within your calorie limit for the day. I have also been making alot of huge salads, very low calorie and it fills me up. But i always save these for my dinner that way i don't get hungry again before bed. I am actually stuffed right now from tonights salad. It have lettus, snow peas, bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, green onion, no fat dressing, cabbage, and i topped it off with 2 morning star spicy black bean burgers crumbled on top. It was a big enough bowl to feed 2 or 3 people but i ate it all, LOL! It totaled 400 calories.