Struggling Senior

Options
I have done low carb off and on for many years. I am 47 lbs. down from my all time HW. I have 16 lbs. to be my high school weight (50 years ago - lol). I'm 67, only 5"2" tall, diabetic, arthritic and have thyroid issues and fibromyalgia. My last A1C was 5.9, so that is good.

The problem seems to be that I get to where I am right now, time and again, and I can't lose another pound! I honestly think it is a mental thing. So, I bounce around within a 2-3 lbs. range, struggling day after day to not return to poor eating. Some days I succeed, some days I do not. Slowly, ever so slowly, the pounds creep back on because my carbs creep back up. Ugh! So, this past week I found myself up 10 lbs. and said "HALT!" In the last two days I've lost 5 lbs. Water weight, I know, but that is what you put on first as well. I just need to find the mental fortitude to keep going and meet my goal! Any other seniors struggling in the same way that would like to support each other?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private, so I will guess. Do you use a food scale to weigh everything? Do you pick the correct enteries from the database?
  • Miss_Hattie
    Miss_Hattie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 63 years old and have also been on and off numerous diets over the years. The most I ever lost was 125 pounds and I gained it back too. I'm now prepping for bariatric surgery. What kind of diet plan are you on? One thing I remember but din't realize at first was I could no longer stay on the same # of calories diet plan I started because since I lost so much weight, the same number would no longer help me lose. You'll need to lessen your calories now and maybe pick up the exercising a bit more too.
  • MoyMG
    MoyMG Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Ginadaye, I suspect that you are going below your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) on your calorie count, and because of that, your body is slowing down your metabolism so you cannot lose weight. I'm 64, and that's what my body does! I had gastric bypass surgery in 2012, and I'm down 140 pounds, but I have another 100 pounds I want to lose, and I've learned that I cannot go below my BMR of 1200 calories/day. And those are net calories, I have to figure in the calories I burn during exercise. MFP will do that for you, if you set it up to do so. Go look up BMR on Google, and figure out what your BMR is, then adjust your calorie count to ensure you stay above that number no matter how much exercise you do. I've set up MFP so I eat 1500 calories net per day (I actually eat at lest 2000, because I exercise 500 calories/day.) I know this sounds like A LOT, but I've found that I will lose 1-2 pounds per week this way. Good luck!