Help I can't get started

Options
ctbrown66
ctbrown66 Posts: 1 Member
I'm hooked on sugar and carbs. Am good till after dinner then I munch munch munch. I don't feel in control but can't break the cycle

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to completely cut out sugar and carbs? Unless you have a medical reason to be restrictive then enjoy those in moderation so you don't go crazy later in the day and eat everything in sight. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Eat the foods you enjoy in amounts that fit your calorie goals. Also when you're just starting don't even focus on calories - work on logging. Get some good logging in and then look to where you can adjust and change what's not working.
  • KiwiJo42
    KiwiJo42 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi. Ive been here for 3 years. Add me if you like. Im happy to support you on your journey.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Try smaller portions, and see if you a) were undereating during the day, b) have procrastinator's guilt or stress hanging over you, or c) feel bored or unfulfilled in some way. I find that all of these crop up frequently in my evenings!

Down 140lbs: My story.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    Try smaller portions, and see if you a) were undereating during the day, b) have procrastinator's guilt or stress hanging over you, or c) feel bored or unfulfilled in some way. I find that all of these crop up frequently in my evenings!

Down 140lbs: My story.

cgRVi.gif
  • Juggernautpint
    Juggernautpint Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I recently started after a 3 year hiatus which has now found me back to my former heavy self.

I lost over 50 pounds the first time around and I will apply the same principles I've listed on my profile, only this time only I will continue to log once I reach my fitness goal to prevent sliding back.

Starting up is really difficult. To get the momentum, break old habits and change the mindset is a big undertaking.

If you are a newbie, I'd suggest show the commitment by working on your profile and writing down your goals. This is affirmation on a psychological level. This journey is very much psychological and requires mental fortitude.

This is what I did to get started: Simply just log your food for 30 days as bad as your diet might, be not worrying about calories. This does two things, gets you into the habit of logging and sets a base line of your caloric intake.

After day 30 (or less) your goal is to establish a caloric deficit.

In my case I went for 1000 calorie daily deficit because I need a psychological weight loss boost to get me motivated. I have just recently introduced cycling back into my life for an extra burn now that the weather is warming up.

Day 60 I will implement weight training to prevent muscle atrophy (muscle burns calories). My intent is something like this 3 Days gym 3 days cardio. On my first go here, I just followed a daily deficit and cycled to lose the weight but lost a lot of muscle too.

It's Day 47 for me, one day at a time.

7512597.png

• Kayak_Fisherman
    Kayak_Fisherman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    ctbrown66 wrote: »
    I'm hooked on sugar and carbs. Am good till after dinner then I munch munch munch. I don't feel in control but can't break the cycle

I am retired and have the same problem. I am trying to stop those destructive munchies by snacking with a couple of cherry tomatoes rather than a sandwich etc and I also started a hobby which keeps me away from the food sources.
    I am hoping it will work for me :)
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Take it easy and work on creating meals with fresh foods and those that are minimally processed (dried, frozen, pasteurized, cooked, etc), first, and then get used to logging and portion sizes. When you've got the hang of this, you can start fiddling with macros if you want to (the ratio of protein, carbs and fat you eat), however it is important to realize that carbs aren't the enemy: they help you fuel your brain and your workouts. If you overly restrict your intake, your body will fight you. For weight loss it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're in caloric deficit (15-20 % below TDEE), but it is important for nutrition, so aim to eat a healthy and varied diet 90 % of the time - no need to feel guilty having that dessert on your birthday, just don't overdo it. You don't need to cut out food groups unless you have a medical reason to do so (like diagnosed celiac disease).

Create meals and snacks that you actually enjoy and don't restrict your calories much further than 20 % below your TDEE, so you do not feel deprived later in the day. It may also help to eat 5 or 6 times a day with 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks and to buy your food with a shopping list, when you're not hungry, so you're less likely to bring unhealthy food.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I like going for walks after dinner; it's not quite as hot, and it keeps me PHYSICALLY REMOVED from any snacking! I also keep super-low-cal snacks close at hand. Like there is a baggie of celery sticks right beside the keyboard, in between my forearms, RIGHT NOW. ;D

If you literally feel out of control, see about talking to a counselor or a therapist. You can do this!
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Start by just logging everything you eat. Then you can look at a few weeks of logs and see. Some simple swaps. Also I keep green beans around for snacks when want to nibble at night
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to plan some evening snacks into your daily menu. You could dice up an apple with some cinnamon and bake it so it's like a low calorie apple pie for dessert. Or make some cauliflower popcorn. Break a head of cauliflower into popcorn-sized pieces. Toss in a little olive oil (maybe 1T or less) and add salt or other seasonings like black pepper, cayenne, etc. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast until it starts to caramelize. You can eat the whole head for about the same calories as a tiny bag of potato chips. I wouldn't recommend eating the whole head as it may lead to digestive distress, but you could if you had the munchies. Or take a bubble bath at night or give yourself a mani/pedi or go for a walk or take up a hobby you can do in the evening.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I agree with poster above. Plan and log the evening snack ahead of time and work backwards. Make sure you leave room for adequate lunch and dinner. Try to find a lower calorie alternative for your favorite snacks, so you don't crowd out your main meals. You can do this!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    ctbrown66 wrote: »

I'm the one trying to lose weight and as I've gone along I've become aware of my wife's method of portion controlling her sweets and carbs. She uses a small plate or bowl. She puts her treat on her dish, closes the package of treats, and takes her dish with her treats to the chair, sofa, or desk where she intends to eat. When she's cleaned her plate of her portion, she stops. She does not refill. Maybe you could try that method.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A strategy that works for me is intermittent fasting, eating only between around 10am and 6pm. By cleaning up the kitchen and brushing my teeth shortly after dinner, I signal myself that I'm done eating until midmorning. This is easier for me than trying to moderate my eating in the evening. I'm short, old, and sedentary, so my calorie requirements are on the low end.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Start by just logging everything you eat. Then you can look at a few weeks of logs and see. Some simple swaps. Also I keep green beans around for snacks when want to nibble at night
    ^^^^
    Yup, log everything you eat, and get rid of the late night processed carb temptations - they shouldn't be in your house to tempt you.