Protein Before/After Workout?

Options
I have my protein powder/bars/shakes and was wondering if it was more beneficial to have them before or after my workout? Or does it matter?

Replies

• kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    My personal trainer says it's better afterwards cuz ur muscles are repairing themselves and need protein. :)
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump
    mario_bump.gif

Would like to know that myself?
  • kslindner
    kslindner Posts: 107
    Options
    Oh... and it's also best to have ur protein within 90 minutes after working out.
  • michaelaam18
    Options
    After. Complex carbs before, protein after.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I try to have protein throughout the day, at least 30g per meal. And a share within an hour of weight training session. Before I use pre workouts supplements. Multiply your weight by .8 and that's how many grams of protein you should have a day
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    After. Complex carbs before, protein after.

What are good complex carbs to have before?
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Oh... and it's also best to have ur protein within 90 minutes after working out.

My personal trainer said the same thing. He recommended some carbs & protien before working out (more of a snack than a meal), then protien within 60 minutes of finishing to help repair muscle and keep metabolism high.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer says it's better afterwards cuz ur muscles are repairing themselves and need protein. :)

I heard the same.. I take my protein within 60 min after my workout.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Definately after and within 90 minutes!!
  • SageLikeTheSpice
    SageLikeTheSpice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    90 minutes? Man, I've been rushing to get it done in 30 minutes.
  • crmhaske
    crmhaske Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Complex carbohydrates are the "good" carbs in that they provide your body the fuel it needs to energize without them coming from processed foods. Having a meal of complex carbs before a workout gives you a boost of energy to get through it; however, I wouldn't suggest eating anything within 20 to 30 minutes of your workout. You should also make sure it is something small and digestible as exercising on a full stomach will be an unpleasant experience.

As everyone else has suggested, protein should be consumed following a workout as your muscles are primed to use the protein then.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    My doctor says to figure out the approximate amount of calories you're going to burn in your workout, and let that guide the amount of carbs you eat beforehand, but to also make sure it's carbs with some protein (like maybe a banana with peanut butter). He said that in order for it to be most effective, you need to eat/drink those carbs no more than 10 minutes before you begin the exercise, preferably fewer than 5 minutes... so think RIGHT before you start the workout. And the protein needs to be consumed immediately afterwards, too. No more than 10 minutes later. Definitely takes some planning ahead to do it this way, but it's worth it if it maximizes the benefits!
  • TooFitToQuit
    Options
    I drink 1/4-1/2 before my workout and the rest after. Drinking some before really helps boost my energy level!
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've also read that soluble protein post-workout is more quickly absorbed and therefore more effective.
    In other words, drink a protein shake instead of scarfing a chicken breast.

I don't vouch for this, but thought I'd throw it out there.
  • tushiness
    tushiness Posts: 29
    Options
    90 minutes? Man, I've been rushing to get it done in 30 minutes.

I know same! I always thought it was 20 :S
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    after!!!!!!! Eat like an hour before exercise also!
  • Rachel_RN_BSN
    Rachel_RN_BSN Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bump