Need a Kitchen scale and HRM

Options
Justkf
Justkf Posts: 208 Member
Hey peeps, I am looking for two things
1> a scale to weigh food in ounces and grams to help me sort out my calories. Any favorites out there that are accurate and easy to use?
2 > a HRM to figure out my calories burned, any referrals are welcome. thanks!!

Replies

• LLaDonna
    LLaDonna Posts: 126
    Options
    I got a simple scale from Walmart for $5 and I bought my measuring cups/spoons there too. Can't say if it's the most accurate thing in the world, but I have been losing consistently since I started using them.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not sure on the scale, I'm using one I purchased from Pampered Chef; seems to work for what I need so far. For the HRM I have a Polar FT4 and absolutely love it. Watch for sales, but they run $70-$80.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I have an analog scale from Target that was also around $5. It's the Taylor brand. I love it! It comes with a measuring container that can hold the scale when you're not using it or it can be used as a tupperware on the go!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have the cheapest scale I could find at Target that has a bowl just in case I want to weigh a lot of things all at one time. I have a Polar F6 heart rate monitor. Watch, chest strap, waterproof, counts your calories, etc.
  • mommachef
    mommachef Posts: 52
    Options
    Don't know what kind of kitchen scale we have. It's digital. DH got it free through some rewards points at work.

I just bought a New Balance N4 HRM at Costco. It's a women's model. It was only $40. I haven't used it yet, but the reviews are good.
  • QuestForFitness
    Options
    I have a Garmin and LOVE it...its a little pricier than most, but I love all the extras, plus I got it on Amazon for about the same price as the others.
  • trout78
    trout78 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have a TAYLOR Digital Nutrition Scale; Model # 3833. With me trying to get healthy and a diabetic child I find this to be an essential in my house. My mother-in-law picked it up for me! I am not sure were she got it, but with the info I gave you, you can prob. find it online! It comes with a code manual...you can find your food in the manual, put it on the scale and punch in the code with the corisponding info. you want (i.e. carbs, sodium, fiber, chol, prot, fat.....) and it will figure it out for you! I love it! As far as the HRM, I am still on a quest for a really good one that doesn't cost too much, but I have heard alot people talking about the POLAR brand!
  • Brent_Arthur
    Options
    I bought the EatSmart digital nutrition scale from Amazon ($69.00) and it works great, super easy and has both ounces and grams.

Just starting to shop for an HRM to keep more accurate track of my calories burned this week too.
  • mrsgiffin
    mrsgiffin Posts: 122
    Options
    I got my scale from walmart as well. I think it was around $8. It is a digital one and I love mine too!! I did see one in a magazine tho that is a digital scale with a nutritional panel on it. It looked really neat but it is prob way more that $8. I have a mio motiva petite. I like it but its starting to not work so well. I don't know if its time to get a new one or a battery or what. But it has worked great in the past.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I also bought a cheap kitchen scale from the grocery store and I'm doing fine with it. the only thing I can say is that I am actually on my second cheap one, the first one fell apart and the spring broke, so I ended up buying it again because I needed it quickly (its kind of become an obession and I was going through withdrawl without it) if I have to get another one, I would spend a bit more and get a digital one. So I guess that would be my advice, if money isnt an issue, get a better one so it lasts. Although my cheap one works just fine...for now!

as far as an HRM, I have the polar FT7. i did a ton of research before getting it, and I found that the polars tended to rate a bit higher. Mine cost 110.00, and I got it on sale for 99.00. Worth every penny spent!
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    we got a mid priced digital scale from Bed, Bath & Beyond. I think it works great.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I got a sportline duo HRM at (post edited)short for- Richard's sporting goods for 70 - tracks your heart rate/calories - I don't even know how to use all the stuff it does yet LOL
  • chellebelle620
    Options
    I don't know what brand our scale is, but I would definitely go digital. I think they make life much easier. Meijer had a good selection when we bought ours.

I also have the Polar FT7 HRM. My husband and I just bought them this past week after I did a lot of research. Amazon seemed to have the best prices on them if you don't mind waiting a little bit.
  • nc1191
    nc1191 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about a food scale although when I went to buy my HRM at Best Buy, they had a digital one there that looked pretty decent.
    As far as a HRM, I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. It comes with a chest strap and is very accurate. I had trouble deciding on a brand, but I did a lot of research and heard a lot of good things about Polar. I bought mine at Best Buy for $89.99. Definitely worth it!
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale from my Weight Watchers days that does both ounces & grams and I recently got a Body Bugg for daily calorie burn. Highly recommend both
  • coltonsmumma
    coltonsmumma Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use my eBay purchased postage scale. It's very accurate. :)
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have a digital scale from Walmart as well and it was $20. I *love* it! I love the fact that you can choose your measurements (like oz, grams, etc) and it has a "TARE" function....this is very useful. The tare function is when you can put your plate or bowl or whatever on the scale and then have it reset to zero so you can then measure your food accurately.

I really wanted a Taylor brand and we had seen some at ROSS for $16.99. When I decided I did want to buy it, it was not there. If you are a bargain shopper, don't bother (IMO) spending a ton at Bed Bath and Beyond. Check out Ross, Marshall's or TJ Maxx...they have name brands for less. But most definitely, "splurge" on the digital scale, they are easier to read, more accurate, and you have more functions.

As for the HRM....RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH what you really need/want.

I started with a Polar F6 (phased out) and it worked well for about a year and a half. Then I *thought* I needed a new battery for the watch so I spent like $15 for a watch battery and it did not solve the problem. Turned out the transmitter was shot. Buying a new transmitter was just as expensive as getting a new HRM. So I ended up getting a New Balance one from Super Target for like $69 and it works JUST AS WELL as the Polar AND I can replace BOTH the watch battery and the transmitter battery.

But I also have a garmin 305 with GPS that my folks got me for Christmas....lots more functions (displays pace, distance, allows you to set timing or distance alerts) and tracks calories...BUT the calorie burn is always A LOT lower than my regular HRM.

Good luck!