Calories burned have been way under!

Options
Just found this website with a calculator to determine calories burned per heart rate:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/314866-how-many-calories-are-burned-if-heart-rate-is-130-for-60-minutes/

It takes into account your age, weight, and heartrate.
Lately, I've been getting into 180-190HR during my 35 minute cardio sessions. MFP logs this as about 300 calories burned. This equation brought me to about 800 cals burned.
Who do I believe? Underestimating is always better, I suppose. But does anyone know exact measurements on heart rate and how it correlates to calories burned?
I don't have a HRM (heart rate monitor), so bear with me. I am aware that is the best indicator.

Replies

• woofers1803
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor that will calculate calories burned. The tools that guess don't give you a real estimate. MFP is high for some things, VERY low on others. Only really accurate solution is to get a heart rate monitor. I've got a Polar one with a chest strap and it's great. VERY accurate and allows you to adjust by weight and age and all. Great tool. Can't be sure without one.
  • chellebelle620
    Options
    What was your AVERAGE heart rate? It seems like this is what's used to calculate. This is another site I've used.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

We just bought HRMs this week, and I love that it takes so much of the guesswork out.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    haha i clicked on the website and realized there's math involved and clicked out! too complicated! lol
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    300 sounds more realistic. I burn 200 according to my HRM for a 30 minute interval elliptical session.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I wanted to avoid the cost factor of a HRM, but it looks like that's my only option! :P Haha thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • LoveBeingAMommy3
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor that will calculate calories burned. The tools that guess don't give you a real estimate. MFP is high for some things, VERY low on others. Only really accurate solution is to get a heart rate monitor. I've got a Polar one with a chest strap and it's great. VERY accurate and allows you to adjust by weight and age and all. Great tool. Can't be sure without one.

I have been looking for a good monitor that is accurate. What type is yours, where can I get it, and how much? Thanks!
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    HRM is the only way to be sure. I say invest in one...its a worthwhile investment
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Lately, I've been getting into 180-190HR during my 35 minute cardio sessions. MFP logs this as about 300 calories burned. This equation brought me to about 800 cals burned.

I don't know your age or physical condition, but the first thing I would question is whether you are truly sustaining a heart rate of 180-190 throughout your 35 minute cardio session. That's very high, and if you look at the heart rate charts, you'd have to be very young, and at about 90-98% of your max heart rate to sustain those levels. If you're 20, for instance, your max heart rate would be approximately 200 - 20, or 180. Then you'd want to exercise at some percentage of that maximum, depending on your goals.
    No one exercises at their maximum heart rate for very long, that's for sure.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't know your age or physical condition, but the first thing I would question is whether you are truly sustaining a heart rate of 180-190 throughout your 35 minute cardio session.
    Right, I was using the HRM on the machine, and this was after doing a 5 resistance on a stationary bike for 25 minutes at 13MPH, I moved onto the treadmill and was tracking my HR on its handlebar HRM. So, I know it was high, I was drenched, but I'd rather be sure it's that high. I remember being younger and watching out, I get into anaerobic exercise quite often and don't realize it.