Tips to get back on track the very next day?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies but this is happening because you're restricting
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had one of those days yesterday and it was very enjoyable! But I'm not going to do it again today whereas in the past I probably would have done (especially as it's a bank holiday weekend here in the U.K.). I think the difference is that I still logged everything yesterday (it took ages!!) whereas I just wouldn't have bothered in the past. Plus I woke fairly early today so walked for 1.5 hours before breakfast, which always helps boost my mood. And I've made sure I've already logged what I'm going to eat for the day; including the large glass of wine I'm intending to have with dinner, and I'm looking forward to the meals I have planned.

Hope you work out what works for you. Baby steps over here seem to be working for me.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Eat, log, reflect, next day. I have been smashing way to many calories the past two weeks. I no it, I'm aware of it and understand why after reflection. I have to do something about it and I am tomorrow. I'm moving on and trying harder. I can't be lazy, it just needs to be done.
    Small goals for me. This week is to make sure I'm drinking more water, it helps with hunger for me, good luck, u got this :-)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Maio44 wrote: »
    If I'm feeling like I need more to eat, which may lead to eating anything at hand, I make a spicy vege curry. Very low cal, as it's just veges and spices. I use a tomato passata for sauce and if I need to, coconut essence instead of coconut milk to keep the calories as low as possible. If I have a decent number of calories left, I make the real thing! I find spicy food helps curb any cravings for me. It takes time to make, so I know if I'm really actually hungry, or if it's bored-hungry, then by taking the time to make the meal I'm over it. Spices definitely help me. Even just the smell of them cooking helps.

Doesn't help you move on, sorry, but might help next time you get the munchies.

Recipe?

OP, listen to your body. If you're really hungry and unsatisfied, it's going to be hard to keep going. Try different foods to see what satisfies you at the lowest calorie cost. Volume? Protein? Something else?

Ideally you can avoid getting to the point of "eating everything in sight."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're being overly restrictive in general both in terms of calories and probably "good/bad" food so you binge and restrict and repeat. If you're trying to cut weight, eat at a reasonable deficit...eat for your nutrition but also understand that you can have "discretionary" calories as well. Do a moderate amount of exercise...eat at maintenance once in awhile...be happy and healthy.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    No tips, it's called discipline. You just do
  • ladypew
    ladypew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue sometimes. Some of us are too human, even if we are adults. And yes it's better not to cheat/binge/ but s**t happens. I read this and it gave me a different outlook. A bit weird of a writing style but it helped me. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Binge-Again-Permanently-Overeating/dp/151516294X/
    The worst thing to do is have the attitude I used to have "well I've had one slice of cake I might as well have a bag of crisps, a donut, more cake etc."
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure you're not aiming for too huge of a deficit. Doing that tends to lead to binges. You may need to adjust your daily calorie goal.
    2. Figure out whether you're an abstainer or a moderator. In other words, can you handle treats in small portions on a daily basis? If so, try allowing yourself that. If you're an abstainer, that will be counterproductive. But when moderators try to abstain, they tend to wind up binging. So, it's a "get to know yourself" kind of suggestion.
    3. Make the splurge worth it! If you're eating a lot of calories, but it's not what you *really* want to eat, I think you're more likely to keep splurging as you subconsciously seek out "the good stuff". A dinner out at a nice steakhouse with a rich dessert is the same calories as sitting in front of the TV with way too many chips and cookies. But the first one is easier (for me) to recover from because it was special.
  • Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I am trying to get back on track after a day of eating a whole bunch of junk food, I try to block off a specific amount of calories per meal. For example I will per log like 300 calories for dinner, so when it comes to dinner time I have those calories set aside so I know when i can eat what. Basicaly i split my calories for the day into 4 parts, breakfast lunch, snacks and dinner. I eat around 1200 calories so for me that would be the 300 calories, so I know at breakfast not to eat more than that and it continues through the day.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ladypew wrote: »
    I have the same issue sometimes. Some of us are too human, even if we are adults. And yes it's better not to cheat/binge/ but s**t happens. I read this and it gave me a different outlook. A bit weird of a writing style but it helped me. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Never-Binge-Again-Permanently-Overeating/dp/151516294X/
    The worst thing to do is have the attitude I used to have "well I've had one slice of cake I might as well have a bag of crisps, a donut, more cake etc."

The kindle version of this book is currently free on US Amazon, so I've downloaded it. Thank you for the tip!

• AshAlvarezz
    AshAlvarezz Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! It's so hard to stay on track, nice to know someone else has the same issue.
    I ate a bunch of junk food last night & feel like *kitten* today because of it, so I'm trying to now get the mindset if I eat a tiny snack I'll be okay, but if I eat as much as I want I'll feel like garbage. I craved all day yesterday then at night I gave in & snacked on a little bit of everything because I ran out of my heathy & filling snack biscuits
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I purchased _Never Binge Again_ after seeing it mentioned here; it was free on Amazon, and $1.99 for the audible download. I'm listening to it in the car, and it *is* kind of a weird style (and the choice of narrator is pretty strange, too) but an interesting premise.
  • lifestyle70
    lifestyle70 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I pull out my notecards that have my life goal, monthly goals and weekly goals and remind myself of why I am trying to make better choices. That usually sets me back on the path.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Self management and control is the key for me. I got nothing a bad day even I eat not that good it's just a surplus calories eaten in the day I could deficit it the next day motivate yourself. ☺☺
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Maybe reevaluate your diet plan. You shouldn't be in a position where you're starving and having to fend off eating. Maybe have higher protein in your meals to satisfy and make you feel full longer. Keep healthy snacks on hand for days when you might be too rushed to cook a full meal. Thinking ahead goes a long ways. In the end we all have a bad day or two. Just gotta get up and start the day like it didn't happen.
  • zelya202
    zelya202 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    -I don't judge myself after having a day with lots of calories
    -I let myself enjoy it
    -It is easier to come back to normal days as there is no guilt
    -I do it by knowing that i am in this for a long haul, so a day or two won't matter in a long term.
  • twistedingenue
    twistedingenue Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    No tips, it's called discipline. You just do

You still have to learn and build discipline. It's a skill!
  • mfpanyko
    mfpanyko Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree - it is a skill. There are certain "visuals" that help me:
    - If you break an egg, do you throw the other 11 on the ground? No, you clean up the mess and move on.
    - If you get a flat tire, do you puncture the other 3? No, you fix it and keep going.
    - If you make a wrong turn, do you stop your trip? No, you get back on track...
    - You get the drift....

Also think of this as a learning process. Visualize a baby learning to walk, What if that baby fell and then said "I might as well stick to crawling, I'll never get this right...". Give yourself credit for doing the right things and forgive yourself for mistakes, but do try to learn from them. I also believe in tracking the mess, no matter how bad.

And lastly, talk to yourself the way you would talk to a friend who had a slip-up...

I hope this helps. This does not end at goal so you need to be flexible and know that every day will not be perfect.