Which calories earned by walking should I believe?

Options
Can anyone advise? I've recently linked my iPhone with MFP so it tracks steps. It tells me my morning walk has gained me 93 cals. However when looking at logging cardio walking at 3.5 mph I would gain an extra 268 cals. With such a huge difference I'm wondering if I should go for something in the middle or just assume the lower number is more accurate?

Any insights from people who use daily walking to help with weight loss appreciated. Thanx

Replies

• 1coolmofo
    1coolmofo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat back work out cal or even track them. But I would trust the phone at 93cal. I found unless I am on a treadmill I overestimate my pace and that could be the factor here.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ellefox70 wrote: »
    Any insights from people who use daily walking to help with weight loss appreciated. Thanx

Calories burned in walking are about 0.3*bodyweight in lbs per mile. So for me at 160lbs I burn about 50 calories per mile. Climbing adds a little to that.

The key point is your distance covered.
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Calories burned in walking are about 0.3*bodyweight in lbs per mile. So for me at 160lbs I burn about 50 calories per mile. Climbing adds a little to that.

Right, ok. Wanders off to find calculator...

Thank you.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    1coolmofo wrote: »
    I personally don't eat back work out cal or even track them. But I would trust the phone at 93cal. I found unless I am on a treadmill I overestimate my pace and that could be the factor here.

Ok thank you.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Why would you wander off to find a calculator when you are reading a website on a device that has a built in calculator?
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've always thought the calories burned seem a little on the optimistic side. I usually log walking at a slow pace 2mph and usually log less time than I actually walk because I'd rather not over estimate. I also usually push a double buggy(stroller) and have a backpack on, which adds a bit of resistance but again, I use the lowest cal burn option because I don't want to over estimate.
  • ellefox70
    Options

Thank you.

Why would you wander off to find a calculator when you are reading a website on a device that has a built in calculator?

Because I want to read how to do the calculation whilst using the calculator.
  • ellefox70
    Options
    I've always thought the calories burned seem a little on the optimistic side. I usually log walking at a slow pace 2mph and usually log less time than I actually walk because I'd rather not over estimate. I also usually push a double buggy(stroller) and have a backpack on, which adds a bit of resistance but again, I use the lowest cal burn option because I don't want to over estimate.

That sounds sensible, thanx