I'm just starting & need advice :)

Options
I did a body composition test & went up 6% in body fat in the last year & am the heaviest I've ever weighed at 153 pounds with height of 5'3''. I'd love to see myself at 120. I'm getting married in a year and a half & it would be wonderful if I could get to my goal weight and change my lifestyle. I decided that I'm going to start 100% paleo tomorrow for a month. I'll see how that goes and possibly add in other foods here and there after the month is up. I'm starting a group training session this week that meets once a week for the next 6 weeks. I've done this before and I've made it my goal to go the scheduled time and then two other times per week. I've made goals to get in 10,000 steps per day and drink 100 oz of water daily. I don't want to start with too many goals at once, but do you have any other recommendations on what I should be doing to kickoff my weight loss?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficeit is all you need to lose. You can decide how you want to achieve that. Weighing and measuring all that you eat and drink is how to do it. A digital food scale is very helpful. Exercise will make you look and feel better and give you some more calories to eat. Good luck.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Making dramatic changes for weight loss only (such as going paleo, assuming this is not something you are otherwise interested into) means you will either give up halfway or gain it all back as soon as you get to your goal.
  • donovanwoodworking
    donovanwoodworking Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. It is easy to over complicate things. :-]
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's hard work. It takes a lot of endurance and patience and energy. You get out of it what you put into it. I agree with the above post that strength training makes a huge difference. I've lost 56 pounds but my trainer says that I look like I've lost 100. I've lost so many inches, being on a consistent meal plan and strength training 5-6 days a week. Like I said, it's not easy, but it can definitely be done! Power to you! You got this! You can friend me if you want to. :smile:
  • Deadlifting_Away_Doritos
    Options
    Hit the strength training!
  • WilliamAndersonLMHC
    WilliamAndersonLMHC Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on weight and diets, focus on creating lifetime habits that have you losing weight instead of gaining it. When we focus on weight and doing something for a while to lose, we actually reinforce the thinking and behavior that makes us gain. When we finish the diet, we are worse than ever! I was overweight and obese from age 7 to age 33 and yo-yoed many times with dieting schemes. In 1985, my training in psychotherapy together with what I learned through experience led me to be able to apply effective behavior therapy. I finally lost 140 pounds in 1985 and have maintained 180, within 10 pounds, since. Within a month of beginning this newest approach, I knew I would never have the problem again. My new addiction was better than the old one. p6zvs3st8rx4.jpg
  • fundamentallyfitfl
    fundamentallyfitfl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit is all you need! It's not easy but once you build those habits, you won't even think about it. I agree with William, if you look at it like a lifestyle change it's much easier. You can return to a maintenance level of cals once you reach your goal, so you won't always be in a deficit. I did the common sense diet (greens, complex carbs, white meat and lots of water) and lost about 60 lbs just watching my cals and cutting out 1 habit at a time
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!