PMS...Fatigue...Muscles Hurt and No Motivation

Options
:grumble: I have seen a lot of postings when it comes to PMS and the cravings. I for the most part am prepared for that but what about the fatigue and wanting to do nothing but sleep. I am going through a 12 week fitnes challenge and going into my 3rd week feeling so tired I can't lift a pound. I do the aerobics and the fitness class but afterwards I am wiped out. My muscles are sore and hurts in all the wrong places and right now the only motivation I have is to lay in bed and watch tv. Has anyone else experienced this right before Hello Red shows up? What did you do about it?
Thank you for your advice in advance.

133837.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Mswonderful4u
    Mswonderful4u Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :grumble: I have seen a lot of postings when it comes to PMS and the cravings. I for the most part am prepared for that but what about the fatigue and wanting to do nothing but sleep. I am going through a 12 week fitnes challenge and going into my 3rd week feeling so tired I can't lift a pound. I do the aerobics and the fitness class but afterwards I am wiped out. My muscles are sore and hurts in all the wrong places and right now the only motivation I have is to lay in bed and watch tv. Has anyone else experienced this right before Hello Red shows up? What did you do about it?
    Thank you for your advice in advance.

133837.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • samantha_dawn_81
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to this one, I still can't control the cravings during that time, it all sucks.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you are really that fatigued and you haven't even started menstruating, it sounds like you may be undernourished. While losing blood, you can become anemic and feel fatigued, but that's not to blame quite yet. It might be time to visit your GP to get your iron and ferritin levels tested, and re-evaluate how many calories you're allowing yourself.
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    :embarassed: Being a male, I obviously cannot give you any advice regarding the PMS and working out. However, in most cases especially in the first few weeks, nutrition is the most important factor in one's road to weight loss. I do not know what kind of diet you are following but if you are limiting your carbs, then this would obviously be your reason. I Just finished a 4 week diet of 60% protein & 20/20% carbs/fats, and can tell you that the third week is hell. It always is everytime I cut my carbs. If you are following this diet (low carb) my advice would be to carb-up. Replenish your glycogen and refuel for the coming week. IF you arn't following low carb, disregard my previous comments and listen to the females :) KEEP AT IT THOUGH!!!!!!! =]
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Length warning on this post! :ohwell: However, this is a really great article. I suffered with horrible pms for years and years (I am post menopausal now) so I relate. Hope this article helps... It's really good.:flowerforyou: From this link: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/152079/the_top_10_food_remedies_that_actually.html?cat=22

The Top 10 Food Remedies That Actually Reduce PMS Symptoms

#1 Eat, Do Not Skip Meals

One of the reasons that PMS sufferers turn to the easy processed foods to alleviate sudden or constant hunger is because they have not been eating regularly and sensibly. Skipping meals when you have PMS is a recipe for PMS disaster. Not eating will not reduce bloating, cramps, headaches, nausea, or irritability.

Cravings occur when the body's level of blood sugar drops. Any other craving is an emotional craving. Do not let your body get to the point of cravings, feed it before that happens.

Quick Fix: Follow the grazing method, and eat five to six small, healthy meals to keep the body's blood sugar level.

#2 Be a Vitamin-B Fanatic

Vitamin B can be a girl's best friend. Health care practitioners sometimes recommend taking Vitamin B6, which can help with many PMS symptoms including bloating, cravings, tiredness, and mood swings.

Rather than take another vitamin on top of a multi-vitamin, try instead to add foods that are rich in Vitamin B to your diet.

Quick Fix: Eat a handful of nuts and a banana with some yogurt. Or, have chicken breast, some kind of eggs, or sweetpotatoes. Also be sure to incorporate whole grains, and beans into your regular diet.

#3 Satisfy Fat Calories with Healthier Fat Choices

When you regular diet is filled with fat-laden foods, you will suffer more from symptoms and discomforts of PMS. Because PMS symptoms can start as early as one or even two weeks before the start of the menstrual cycle, eliminating fatty foods from your daily diet is the best way eliminate the affect of fatty foods on PMS symptoms.

Quick Fix: Have a tuna fish sandwich, salmon for dinner, or snack on pumpkin seeds or walnuts.

#4 Increase Your Potassium

It's easy to increase your potassium intake to alleviate symptoms of PMS when you add fruit or vegetables to every meal. Have a bowl of fresh fruit salad: bananas, cantaloupe and orange. Have a bowl of fresh fruit salad: bananas, cantaloupe and orange.

Quick Fix: Drink some orange juice.

#5 Go for the Water

PMS-related Water gain and bloating does not call for over-the-counter drugs. Make sure you are drinking enough water, and add foods that have a high water content to your diet.

Quick Fix: Make a snack plate with fresh celery, sliced cucumbers, red bell peppers and carrot sticks.

#6 Get off the Refined Sugar Train

If you have been eating more but smaller meals, you shouldn't be craving sugar. When you eat too much processed sugar, you will feel more tired than energized. Go for natural sources of sugar found in fresh fruit or canned fruit with added water not syrup.

#7 Eat the Right Foods

Increase your intake of Vitamin E. Some women are helped by taking a Vitamin E supplements.

Quick Fix: Make a bowl of steamed brown rice and asparagus, top with roasted pecans.

wheatgerm oil, vegetable oils, nuts and seeds, avocados, oily fish, brown rice, asparagus.

#8 Fix that Chocolate Jones With Better Choices

Okay, sometimes you just have to have chocolate. Rather than have too much chocolate, stock healthier chocolate choices.

Quick Fix: Instead of rich chocolate ice cream, have Fudgsicles or chocolate pudding on hand.

#9 Get Your Magnesium Fix.

Magnesium can be found in many seeds and nuts, and brown rice.

Get magnesium from: nuts, seeds, lentils, bulgar wheat, brown rice.

Quick Fix: Have some vitamin and mineral rich lentil soup.

10 Got Milk?

Be sure to include calcium and Vitamin D in your diet. While this could mean a glass of 2 percent or 1 percent, milk, there are other non-dairy options.

Quick Fix: Have some asparagus, broccoli, some beet greens, or any other calcium-rich veggies.
  • Mswonderful4u
    Options
    :embarassed: Being a male, I obviously cannot give you any advice regarding the PMS and working out. However, in most cases especially in the first few weeks, nutrition is the most important factor in one's road to weight loss. I do not know what kind of diet you are following but if you are limiting your carbs, then this would obviously be your reason. I Just finished a 4 week diet of 60% protein & 20/20% carbs/fats, and can tell you that the third week is hell. It always is everytime I cut my carbs. If you are following this diet (low carb) my advice would be to carb-up. Replenish your glycogen and refuel for the coming week. IF you arn't following low carb, disregard my previous comments and listen to the females :) KEEP AT IT THOUGH!!!!!!! =]

Actually you do make a good point. I have cut way back on my carbs and only taking in 25 grams per big meals. I will take my day off from my work out to carb up a little more. You know whats so funny I ate a banana and believe it or not it gave me a little jolt. I just did this so maybe that is the trick.
    Thanks
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I agree with both the carbs and iron comments. The recommendation for carbs is 45-60% of our daily calories, as carbs supply fuel to our brain and muscles. And an iron deficit can cause fatigue (and, as a side note, will also make your flow heavier) although I don't know all the mechanics behind this. My nutrition course will get to vitamins & minerals in about 2 weeks, so I'll get back to you then :wink:
  • Kmill217
    Options
    45-60% is a bit high for carb intake while dieting. I like to keep it at 40% or below. Typically I reach my grams of carbs, but my % is much lower because of fiber (non impact carbs) I will get about 35-60 g of fiber a day. But I also (according to fitday) have been gettin an average of 223 g of protein. So obviously this not only boosts my weight loss, but my bowel movements as well :noway:
  • Mswonderful4u
    Options
    I know I am anemic but I take vitamins high in iron so I know that isn't it. I honestly think its the carbs. I get the recommended from here daily but during this time I may need to boost it up just a little more. I read somewhere that bananas help with the soreness, believe it or not, my soreness is very minimum right now. So maybe there is something to that who carbs thing with the banana.

How long does it take for your muscles to repair itself? How did you feel when you first started weight training?
  • Kmill217
    Options
    How long does it take for your muscles to repair itself? How did you feel when you first started weight training?

Haha- your body says NO. Thats what happens- I can tell you your not doing your body ANY favors the first week. Most people will tell you that if your body is sore not to exercise, but that advice should be ignored by ALL beginners. The soreness goes away, and the fatigue differs with each owns diet. I've found that higher protein for me helps me recover a bit quicker. Carbs really don't do a whole lot for me other than give me more energy. But If I get more than 30 grams outside of breakfast I feel bloated.

Needless to say anytime you introduce something foreign to your body, it is going to take some time to adjust (i.e. an earing/surgery, etc) so with that keep in mind that your body is going to adjust. The more amino acids you can get (just a complex word for proteins) the better and faster you'll recover. I am not big on supplements other than protein and creatine but Scivation makes an excellent product called Xtend. I am in no way affiliated with them, but I have found that my recovery & workouts are much more efficient when I jump back into routines. A simple web search will point you in that direction, but if it were me. Timely nutrition (no later than 30-45 minutes outside of postworkout) will benefit you more than anything! This is the time to get your carbs in. Extensive studies have shown protein synthesis to be no different from 20-40 grams so I don't waste my proteinz and I usually get about 20 g of protein and upwards of 40-50 grams of complex (slow digesting) carbohydrates. A banana is good for a quick insulin response which will help increase growth hormone which will inevitably cause muscle growth, but repairing broken down muscle tissue is more about nutrients & sleep!
  • weezie79
    Options
    I'm so hearing you on all of the complaints! :grumble:
    Aunt Flo is over a week late (first time ever) yet I am suffering all the usual PMS symptoms except they started the week before I would have been due - so two weeks of hell! :mad:
    Have done 2 preg tests and both negative. My trainer reckons I'm over-training and probably undereating but I know for sure I'm not under-eating :laugh: .
    I usually associate amensia with anorexics... hmmm
    I am feeling more fatigued than usual, but I don't know if that's a mental response to my inflamed ITB and not being able to run etc.
    I will say that I usually stick to 25-30% carbs, but the other night I had a big old bowl of wholegrain pasta and when I worked out at 7am the next morning I felt like a million bucks.:bigsmile:

OOOhh just remembered Australian biggest loser is starting in 5 mins. Yay, I have been waiting 8 months for season 4! :drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    45-60% is a bit high for carb intake while dieting. I like to keep it at 40% or below. Typically I reach my grams of carbs, but my % is much lower because of fiber (non impact carbs) I will get about 35-60 g of fiber a day. But I also (according to fitday) have been gettin an average of 223 g of protein. So obviously this not only boosts my weight loss, but my bowel movements as well :noway:

No, it's not high for dieting. Overeating makes you fat. Not carbohydrates. It's really a poor choice for an anemic to cut carbohydrates--if she's fatigued already, removing her easiest source of energy isn't going to help.
    I will school you on some sports nutrition. :wink: Since you're a BB.com member I know you can handle it.
  • Kmill217
    Options

No, it's not high for dieting. Overeating makes you fat. Not carbohydrates. It's really a poor choice for an anemic to cut carbohydrates--if she's fatigued already, removing her easiest source of energy isn't going to help.
    I will school you on some sports nutrition. :wink: Since you're a BB.com member I know you can handle it.

:noway: I agree to disagree. Everywhere I have read, and if my definition of an anemic is correct (iron deficient) the choice of carbohydrates is the most important. "

"The best sources of heme-iron obviously come from meats; Beef, Shrimp, Sardines, Turkey. This is animal iron. The best non-heme iron sources are beans, baked potato w/ skin, enriched pasta & canned asparagus. The absorption of Non-heme iron can be improved when a source of heme iron is consumed in the same meal. While some food items can enhance iron absorption, some can inhibit or interfere iron absorption. Avoid eating them with the iron-rich food items to maximize iron absorption." Here are some Iron Absorption inhibitors: Red wine, coffee, tea, Vegetables (green beans, spinach, sweet potato, whole grains, bran, and soy products."

Source: http://www.healthcastle.com/iron-anemia-diet.shtml

So songbyrd, while the importance of carbohydrates is prevalent, you have to take notice to nutritional timing (i.e. eating every two hours, and what your eating with what).

IF I were anemic, I would most certainly cut out any coffee, tea, with any meal. Rather get my caffeine fix outside of nutritional intake. So, in essence we can derive that we are both on the right path. But as everyone here knows it is most important to take note what works for you!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

:noway: I agree to disagree. Everywhere I have read, and if my definition of an anemic is correct (iron deficient) the choice of carbohydrates is the most important. "

"The best sources of heme-iron obviously come from meats; Beef, Shrimp, Sardines, Turkey. This is animal iron. The best non-heme iron sources are beans, baked potato w/ skin, enriched pasta & canned asparagus. The absorption of Non-heme iron can be improved when a source of heme iron is consumed in the same meal. While some food items can enhance iron absorption, some can inhibit or interfere iron absorption. Avoid eating them with the iron-rich food items to maximize iron absorption." Here are some Iron Absorption inhibitors: Red wine, coffee, tea, Vegetables (green beans, spinach, sweet potato, whole grains, bran, and soy products."

So songbyrd, while the importance of carbohydrates is prevalent, you have to take notice to nutritional timing (i.e. eating every two hours, and what your eating with what).

IF I were anemic, I would most certainly cut out any coffee, tea, with any meal. Rather get my caffeine fix outside of nutritional intake. So, in essence we can derive that we are both on the right path. But as everyone here knows it is most important to take note what works for you!

From what I understood, you were directing her to eat fewer than 40% of her total calories from carbohydrates. Contrary to the protein-pushers on BB.com, that's not really conducive to a life change wherein an individual wishes to remain active on a daily basis without having to schedule carbup. That's all I was disagreeing with.
  • Kmill217
    Options
    OH- well why didn't you say that in the first place :tongue:

Well, none the less- we've both mentally stimulated, and confused the crap out of her.

In a lot of cases though, and extreme dieters & gym rats, eating heavy carbs once every two weeks is beneficial.

"EDIT"

And also, something I may add because I think everyone looks at protein in a negative light is do not be afraid of it. Eat your Fish & Chicken.

Again, the 60 year old lady that came into GNC every month to buy her protein powdeer lost 45 lbs in 5 months. Not by doing ANYTHING but drinking 2 shakes a day.

Jus' Sayin' Lol-
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Well, none the less- we've both mentally stimulated, and confused the crap out of her.

In a lot of cases though, and extreme dieters & gym rats, eating heavy carbs once every two weeks is beneficial.

"EDIT"

And also, something I may add because I think everyone looks at protein in a negative light is do not be afraid of it. Eat your Fish & Chicken.

Again, the 60 year old lady that came into GNC every month to buy her protein powdeer lost 45 lbs in 5 months. Not by doing ANYTHING but drinking 2 shakes a day.

Jus' Sayin' Lol-

LOL

We're not afraid of protein here on MFP...but there are risk associated with overconsumption. There are dozens of recommended daily intakes, and together they average a range of 10-35% of calories. I was a huge protein-pusher my freshmen year, but after 4 years of sports nutrition and exercise phys, I have wisened up. Protein has its place in muscle repair, but we need to eat more fat and carbohydrates to spare that protein for its purpose. Overconsuming protein does produce a lot of ammonia and does force the kidneys to do extra work and does not promote weight loss or muscle building. If you're filling your calories with protein, it's not going to be used for muscle repair. It's going to be used in glucose production to replace what you aren't getting from dietary carbohydrates.

Don't even get me started on GNC. They sell botted mRNA! Bwahah! :laugh:

Oh, and yea, carbups can be helpful. But I find at 50% carbohydrates I really don't need them, and I would consider myself a heavy gym-goer. I have depleted at 30% carbohydrates. I even did Keto for a long while. I have done plenty of carbups, but I think as far as keeping this lifestyle simple and practical for most people, it's easier to keep carbohydrates higher so they don't have to worry about it. This is a very different crowd from BB.com. :smile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

"EDIT"

Jus' Sayin' Lol-

LOL

We're not afraid of protein here on MFP...but there are risk associated with overconsumption. There are dozens of recommended daily intakes, and together they average a range of 10-35% of calories. I was a huge protein-pusher my freshmen year, but after 4 years of sports nutrition and exercise phys, I have wisened up. Protein has its place in muscle repair, but we need to eat more fat and carbohydrates to spare that protein for its purpose. Overconsuming protein does produce a lot of ammonia and does force the kidneys to do extra work and does not promote weight loss or muscle building. If you're filling your calories with protein, it's not going to be used for muscle repair. It's going to be used in glucose production to replace what you aren't getting from dietary carbohydrates.

Oh, and yea, carbups can be helpful. But I find at 50% carbohydrates I really don't need them, and I would consider myself a heavy gym-goer. I have depleted at 30% carbohydrates. I even did Keto for a long while. I have done plenty of carbups, but I think as far as keeping this lifestyle simple and practical for most people, it's easier to keep carbohydrates higher so they don't have to worry about it. This is a very different crowd from BB.com. :smile:
    Yet a million more reasons we love you so here on MFP SBS!! You tell it how it is in a very educated yet understandable way!!

btw...I'm not afraid of protein either for what it's worth:laugh:

Thanks for all the goodies you share with us from your incredible brain, experience and from the heart:heart: Song:flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:

You're one of my favorite peeps on this site Girl, you don't mess around you tell it like it is to help folks here better ourselves:wink::happy:

FC:heart:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

"EDIT"

Jus' Sayin' Lol-

LOL

Yet a million more reasons we love you so here on MFP SBS!! You tell it how it is in a very educated yet understandable way!!

btw...I'm not afraid of protein either for what it's worth:laugh:

Thanks for all the goodies you share with us from your incredible brain, experience and from the heart:heart: Song:flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile:

You're one of my favorite peeps on this site Girl, you don't mess around you tell it like it is to help folks here better ourselves:wink::happy:

FC:heart:

Awwwwwwwwwe thank you dearie!! :smooched:

I love you guys here on MFP...everyone is so kind and open-minded and we all have so much to offer one another. I am always glad to help! :flowerforyou:
  • Kmill217
    Options
    I agree with you. And don't get me started on GNC- lol. I learned a lot, but was not pleased with how they operated their company. But that's an entirely different subject in itself.

As far as protein is concerned, my point was simply not to forget about it. You know just as well as I do that women in general (yes, I am assuming this, but I'm sure there is some study out there to back me) have the "protein" branded into their brain that they're going to get big and bulky!

Don't speak generally about just any old' carbohydrate. People need to read what is in those carbohydrates. (I.E. pharaceutical sugars malodexetrin, dextrose, etc) Your sources of carbohydrates should be the all natural kind. The kind which we can get from the ground. Potatoes, Grains, Vegetables. Not the produced kind like you'll find in the cereal isle!!!!!

Now with that being said, everyone still needs to enjoy life. And they can. But unfamiliarity with correct nutritional balance will give them conflicting results.

I'll simply end with the approach to just eat wholesome healthy food, and your body will take care of the rest. But everyone knows at some point you plateau out. This would be the reason why the guy who eats fast food every day stays at the same chubby weight, their metabolism adjusts. And if people lose weight, and their metabolism adjusts and settles, then this is where protein can come in and break them through the dreaded plateau.

Obviously another topic again, but I just wanted to make sure people understood what our educated minds were discussing!

I like that there is a different breed over here. Obviously someone as educated as yourself can clearly make decisions that which are beneficial to your body. But everyone is different, thus why I am bringing different scenarios to light.

:noway: another novel
  • Mswonderful4u
    Options

You know something I think you are right about the coffee!!!!
    I didnt know it effected iron. I did notice when I cut it out the first week I was great with my eating habits but when i gave into my craving I started feeling more tired than ever. I slept this weekend and didnt do any work out and today I feel a whole hell of a lot better. I will cut out the coffee and see how that does. I also saw the xtend on bb.com so i will get some of that and take it along with my herbalife i will be starting soon. I read a lot of success stories on there and it seems like you almost have to take supplements in order to see quick results. I dont mind just want to get busy and stay dedicated.