Fitting in gym with busy work hours

Options
GhostX1994
GhostX1994 Posts: 58 Member
Looking for advice from others that work 40 to 80 hour weeks that can help me try find time to go gym and get fit? Or things i could do while im at work to help with fittness, im a traffic controller so few things i do to try help is instead of carrying a couple cones like most people do i carry 8 to 12 at a time walking them out to try help with fitness, also wanting to know what kind of food be best for me to eat at work as during my 8 to 14 hour shifts i tend to get hungry and not many options to eat at that isnt takeaway besides subway, any easy food preps and stuff that could help?

Replies

• laceyf53
    laceyf53 Posts: 110 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I really like daily burn because you can stream right from your phone or tablet and there are good 15 minutes workouts. They have a 30 day free trial, so check it out and see if it works for you.
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I work usually 60/65 hours a week, 12 hours a day, sometimes also overnights. You just have to commit to going, it's not easy but if you really want to do it, then you gotta do it. Look at your shifts, and decide when will work. Remember you don't have to do hours and hours of cardio.... lift weights instead and a bit of cardio. Commit to going at the times you've agreed to go, even if it's half an hour. I appreciate you will be tired. At the end of a 12 hour day, the LAST thing I want to do is to go and work out, but I gotta!

Could you get a trainer? Or book into some classes? Have something to keep you on track and have some sort of social interaction, that always helps!

Good luck!
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh and regarding food choices, plan plan plan. Make a 2 week rolling plan of what you can take with you. Doesn't have to be a salad every day, you could make wraps, quinoa salad, leftover pasta, maybe give yourself one meal per week that you can still have a take away at work, or a subway, but planning and proper prep here is key! If you think "oh I'll do it tomorrow" or
    "I'll just grab something at work" it all starts to go
    Downhill from there. Sit down, google recipies/ideas and make a 2 week rolling plan of lunches/dinners you can take with you. Snack on things like nuts, seeds, fruit, veggies that are filling, and help you feel satisfied but just don't overdo it.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I hear u ! I work like 10 hrs a day 5-6 days a week I usually start to workout about 7-7:30 at night on Sunday I can usually get an afternoon workout that's usually when I do my leg work / squats- i try to do a longer one then and do an hour one for the other 3 - 4 days that I lift so that's how I do it ...
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm not all that busy. I work only 40/hrs a week, but I'm also working on my graduate degree, and one weekend a month I go to drill (plus all the added teleconferences during the week). I only work my full-time job from 6:30am-5pm, but it's a 90 minute drive. So I'm up at 4am and don't get home until about 6:30pm. I found what works best is just going right on the treadmill as soon as I get home (and I only do 30 minutes, but I would do longer if I had the time, but between eating dinner, putting kids to bed, and homework I've just set it to around 30 minutes). I've had to start drinking pre-workout drinks at the end of my drive otherwise I can't motivate myself to workout. Whether it's placebo effect or what doesn't matter, it helps me. I tried the waking at 3am to workout (we have a treadmill at home) but I found myself more and more just pushing snooze, and I hated feeling rushed to workout, take a shower, and get around in the morning. At least at night I'm not feeling so rushed.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I just walk outside. It means that I have zero travel time and I don't have to pay for the gym. Eating is a much bigger issue. It's hard to get the time to prep everything.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you know your shifts and hours ahead of time, get a planner, sit down and slot everything in. Decide when you're doing what, how long it will take and stick to it. I usually plan every Sunday for the next week. If I realise that my Wednesday for example ended up way tight I will change it for the week after until I find my ultimate routine. I also meal prep accordingly. If you're doing cardio opt for HIIT as it will take less time. Get as much transport cardio in as you can as well. Walk places, take the stairs instead of the lift, walk up the escalators. Every little bit adds up.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Meal prep isn't too bad. Get a small cooler and keep your food in there. Water is easy (I literally take a gallon jug to work every day, or get a camelback and fill it). I bought one of those food containers with the 3 slots, the bigger one, then the 2 smaller parts. I can cut up romaine lettuce, a hard boiled egg, grilled chicken, some diced tomato, shredded cheese, and some avocado for a quick salad. Then dressing in a small container. In the smaller parts you can put stuff like wheat thins and carrots, or a fruit. Since you seem really active at work, maybe even premaking some wraps during days off would help. Add some fruit and veggies into your cooler for snacks. Maybe some kind of nuts. A lot of it is just planning and prepping on your days off so all you have to do before work is pack your lunchbox and go.