Why have you succeeded this time?

daneejela
daneejela Posts: 461 Member
edited April 2017 in Success Stories
I might be wrong, but I'll assume that manny of you who have successfully lost weight have some previous fail attempts..what was different this time? Why have you succeeded this time?
Did you knew at the beginning that this time you are going to the end?
Were you sure that you'll make it or you have moments of self doubt?

I am asking because I think it can be helpful to a beginners like me :)
I really admire you guys&girls here!

Replies

• 320sycamore
    320sycamore Posts: 54 Member
    @andst5001, that is an incredible amount of weight to lose in less than a year - congratulations! How did you lose 2.5 pounds a week every single week for 50+ weeks? Were you eating an obscene amount of calories prior to embarking on your weight loss journey (e.g., fast food every meal)? I'm eating 1,200 calories a day and losing 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week, but I know that I will not lose 100 pounds at the end of 52 weeks. Just trying to figure out how you sustained that rate of loss for that amount of time, and whether I might emulate it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    edited April 2017
    I have succeeded every time I wanted to lose weight.

Looking back, it seems that during times when I have a serious medical issue (i.e. surgery, DVT) and I'm moving house all around the same time, I put on a bit of weight. I'm less focused on what I eat and exercising less.

Once things have settled, I lose that weight ... usually quite soon after. And then I maintain for a while.

The first time this happened was in my early 20s. Went up and just into "overweight" after a major surgery and a move 2 provinces over. Lost it as soon as things were settled, and maintained that for the next 20 years.

I've never tried a "fad diet" ... always just CICO.

• hoorayselma
    hoorayselma Posts: 127 Member
    edited April 2017
    Good question
  • ericabalko
    ericabalko Posts: 11 Member
    Hi! Mesomorph here. Knowing that I'm a mesomorph made a huge difference on why this time is working/different than other attempts. Also, I learned my pattern by looking at my tracking from before. I learned 1)moderate is key! (12000 cals is to low for me) 1370 is right and no more super intense 6-7 dy/wk workout protocol. 2) I lose for 3 days then hold for 4. Knowing that helps my morale. I know not to panic and quit or tweak anything just stay the course. Hth! I am happy to talk if you have questions. Mesomorphs bulk easy so have to be careful not to go too low on cals and high on exercise or starvation mode hits! Too high on cals and bulking hits.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I never had any other attempts...I lost 40 Lbs about 4 years ago and have more or less maintained my weight (I put on a little every winter and take it off in the spring when my normal riding habits take over). I am interested in being healthy and fit...so I do the things that healthy and fit people do...I eat well and train regularly.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Not unlike Harry Potter fans would do it: destination, determination, deliberation
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Once I realized that losing weight is simply math (simple does NOT mean easy) ... and I knew I could rock math ... the weight came off and keeps coming off.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I actually had never attempted to lose weight before MFP. This has been my first, only, last attempt. I've always been a healthy weight, but several years ago I noticed that as I was aging, the weight was creeping up into the upper levels of the healthy range. So I came here to reverse the trend and lose the extra pounds. It was simple and straightforward, so I've stuck with it for 6 years now (over 5 years in maintenance.) Logging and tracking on MFP is a lot like a game to me. It's fun and easy so I have no reason not to keep doing it. :)
  • YenVerhoeven
    YenVerhoeven Posts: 2 Member
    I went to a dietician to find out what my resting metabolic rate (RMR) was. My RMR tells me how many calories I can consume per day without gaining or losing weight. After knowing my RMR, I have been eating under that, and using this site to track calories. However, my RMR is pitifully low, because I'm a small person. Knowing my RMR was like knowing the truth - I couldn't deceive myself into eating a bit more or over, because what I burn is really what I burn, and if I eat over, well... as some people have mentioned, it comes down to simple math - you either eat under to lose, or over to gain. It's simple math, but as others have said, it's not easy AT ALL. So, to be able to eat more, I exercise, and use my fitness tracker to let me know approximately how many calories I've burned. Then, I add that onto the number of calories I can consume for that day.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!