Stuff still in the fridge, etc when starting to diet

Options
I still have a few things in the fridge, for example a package of brats (bratwurst) that I haven't grilled yet. I just hate to waste the food, do I grill it then just eat smaller healthy portions (if that's possible, 350 cals each and about 80mg cholesterol, which is what I really need to avoid). Do I just toss it and say "oh well". It's not something I could take to a food pantry. There might be a few pizzas in the freezer as well.

Ans also I hate to say "starting to diet", I know it's something I should always be watching. But right now I am trying to lose the weight, I know in the furture I can eat more than I am right now, but not like I used to.

I am also thinking I could eat some of these foods but have to really watch the other things I eat that day, it might be a good learning experience for me.
Gilly

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I had a bbq and got other people to eat my crap foods. :)
  • vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    Options
    Smaller portions will do. Every food is healthy, you just have to watch how much you have and how often you have it.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    PORTION PORTION PORTION! MODERATION MODERATION MODERATION!!!!!!!!!!

go ahead and take a peak at my diary.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options

lol i love this idea. just give it away to family and friends. who says you have to eat it all yourself?
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    You could eat brats with steamed broc...or a brat with pasta and cherry toms and shrooms..If you have a family, they can still eat them ..I still feed mine what they always ate as it was fairly healthy but my portion control and lack of exercise was where my probs were...I cook different to lose but I will go back to eating with everyone else when I have lost and just maintain...
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Love that idea! Doing it in August.. Thank you! :smile:
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I get rid of my crap food in moderation. I've found that if I don't give into the smaller cravings every now and again, I end up binging on the bad stuff all at once in a crazy, sugar-fueled explosion.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I eat my "crap" foods a little at a time. Like I might eat super-healthy for a week, and then one day I'm having a fabulous day or in a hurry, I throw in some "crap" food. Seems to be working. Also, consider it a lifestyle change :bigsmile:
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    If you are struggling with the food in the house (or if to eat any of it at all)...give it away (neighbors ect...) and lose the temptation.

Portion control is definitly key... WHat you can do is to separate out the brats, wrap them individually and then freeze what you arent going to eat now. Then...thaw one at a time (or whatever you need to feed the household), then you dont have to be tempted by overcooking portions.

As you continue to shop...load up on healthy(er) food going forward.
  • acesauls
    acesauls Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said in that you don't want to just throw the food out. It much more fun to share it with others while saving yourself from eating something you really don't want to.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    PORTION PORTION PORTION! MODERATION MODERATION MODERATION!!!!!!!!!!

go ahead and take a peak at my diary.

jujubean1992,
    First congratulations on the weight you have lost. Great job!
    Forgive me but...OMG! I did look at your diary. It is one of the unhealthiest food logs I have seen on MFP. You may be losing weight but all that soda and junk food will kill you! I'm not trying to be mean but you will be much healthier and likely feel better to drop all the sugar filled and fat filled food and replace it with healthy alternatives. You are nowhere near where you should be for protein intake. Please consider some lean proteins, vegetables and fruit.
  • GillyWI
    GillyWI Posts: 27
    Options
    It's not a huge package of them, it's 4 or 6. And it's also just my wife and myself (she is in good shape). So thinking about my last thought, that I can grill them and we can eat them, but have to watch my other meals very closely that day. And again this would be enough for supper one night and leftovers the next, then they'd be gone. They are not a great temptation to me though.

Checked out some chicken brats that I had tried earlier in the year (nutrition info online) and they are not really much better, cals are lower but still fairly high in cholesterol.