Help With Exercise

Options
Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who would be willing to offer me any tips they can to get started exercising, would love to just have a chat with someone who's more clued in than I am. I used to play sport in school but since being in college I haven't really done much. I hear that strength training is good but I'm looking to lose weight so I think cardio is a better route (?), in need of some advice to get into some kind of routine.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Replies

• nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Back when you did sports what did you enjoy?

There are activities that burn more calories than others, there are weight trainings that are more efficient than others but my number 1 criteria is to do something enjoyable.

To get started, the most important thing is to just do it! Get motivated and do it once. After motivation has given you a kick to get started, then you need discipline to keep going.

For running you can start by doing like 1 minute jogging, 1 minute walking (add more walking/less jogging or less walking/more jogging depending on how hard it is for you) until you are fit enough to just jog the whole time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great for building endurance, and for your heart & lungs. It also generally burns more calories than strength training. Strength training helps you RETAIN a larger % of lean muscle as you lose weight. It's also great for bone health & much more. In other words I would include both.

I would start out with free (or inexpensive) options to find things you like to do. You will become more fit as you learn. Finding things you like to do will help you be consistent, this is a good habit for maintenance.

YouTube is an invaluable resource. Fitness Blender, BeFit, Jessica Smith TV.....dozens and dozens of channels.

Check your local library for DVDs. Here's a link to a website to help you figure out what's out there: https://www.collagevideo.com/
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    The most effective way for me to get more exercise is to build it into my life - so I bike to work. Biking or walking some trips you would normally drive can save money and get exercise in.

I like Fitnessblender on youtube for at-home workouts.

If you're in college, look at the rec leagues for sports you played and liked before.
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I ordered a rowing machine on amazon and it's been great! I get up a little earlier in the morning and row for about 20 minutes. When I get home from work I have dinner and hang out with my kids then when they head to bed I get back on the row machine for another 30 minutes, sometimes I'll lift weights instead of row. I played sports in high school too and once I left for college the working out just kind of faded away unfortunately. This is what works for me and my schedule, I'm certainly no exercise guru and breaking up the workouts may not be the best way to exercise...I'd love some feedback :)
  • MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also, if your in college maybe look into taking an exercise/fitness class as an elective. That way you'll get a couple workouts in a week and earn some credits.
  • hjsparker
    hjsparker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I found that starting out slow and getting a good routine are key. There's no point in doing a super hard workout and being so sore you do nothing for a week afterwards.

My current routine is

Mon, Wed, Fri - Bodyweight strength training using the app Sworkit
    Tues, Fri, Sat - Running, usually between 2-5 miles
    Sat - Yoga/Pilates to really stretch out my muscles

I always do a 5 min warm up and 10 min stretching after strength and 10 min stretch after running.

I think if you're just starting out go slow to begin with, do 3-5 days of exercise per week and gradually increase this as you feel your strength and stamina increase. If you do strength training, chances are you'll hurt but don't let this put you off. If you can't face another strength session when you're due for one, do a slow jog or even a brisk walk just to get something active into your day!
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to burn calories, something aerobic is better. While you are on campus, if you generally try to catch a bus to class, try walking or as someone else suggested possibly biking instead. Taking stairs instead of elevators, etc. It is much easier especially while in school to build it into your routine. As your body gets used to this activity, build other aerobic activities into your routine, such as jogging, longer bike rides, or some kind of elective exercise class. If you tend to work towards a goal, maybe register for a 5K or a walk that happens sometime in the next couple of months.

IMO strength training is good as it builds muscle, so when at rest you burn more calories in general. However, strength training doesn't burn a lot of calories while you are doing it.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Just because you have a lot of weight to lose doesn't mean you can't lift. Lifting will help shape your body as you go. And it increases your calories burnt through the day.

Maybe try Jamie Easton's live fit trainer on body building (there is an app). I think it's a complete program and good for beginners.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I agree with @nFoooo to find things to do that you enjoy doing. And your college may have some intramural sports that anyone can join. Like ultimate frisbee, kickball, softball, etc...
  • jesshayds
    jesshayds Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the feedback! I think I'm going to kickstart a cardio routine (the walking/jogging method) and see how it fairs for me once college work thins out.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to record my lectures at university and listen to them over and over as I went for powerwalks or runs. Revision and exercise all in one, haha. Also recorded myself reading my own notes and listened to that as well. Great way to get your work done at the same time as you exercise and you can get rid of the "don't have time" issue. Good luck!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The best routine to get into is to do something different for cardio frequently.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    strength training is more effective for fat loss than cardio

but eating healthy is the most importnat