Lifting at home

Options
I cannot afford a gym membership right now, but I have two benches with dozens of plates, dumbbells in every weight, kettlebells, a Total Gym, bands, and a yoga mat. I would like to know if someone can recommend a program OTHER than New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've done it for a few weeks, but I really don't care for it and would like something different and....more.

Thank you all in advance! :)

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Fat loss? Increasing muscle size? Functional strength? Something else?
    And what didn't you like about NROL4W?
  • Goddess0921
    Goddess0921 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    What is your goal? Fat loss? Increasing muscle size? Functional strength? Something else?
    And what didn't you like about NROL4W?

To start, fat loss. I'm hoping for increased strength as I go along, as well. As far as what I didn't like, I just didn't enjoy it. It didn't really hold my interest enough for me to be excited to workout.

I know I can find plans online, but when I Google it, the sheer amount of articles I'm faced with to choose from is overwhelming. In a perfect world, I'd join a gym and hire a trainer. But, I know there are many people here who have the knowledge and experience who may be able to point me in the right direction.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    To put things in perspective you don't have to exercise to lose weight it's simply a matter of eating less calories than your body consumes. On the other hand the exercise is going to be a great addition and it's going to have a lot of benefits.

It's a matter of finding something you're comfortable with as far as an exercise program. I don't know if gyms in your area are expensive for it's just a budget issue but there are a lot of different online programs it's just a matter of searching and finding somethingand finding something you're comfortable.

Myself personally I like Tony Horton's Beachbody workout period they are expensive but it is a good workout also Beachbody has an online on demand exercise website. I believe it's about $9 a month
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
  • Goddess0921
    Options
    To put things in perspective you don't have to exercise to lose weight it's simply a matter of eating less calories than your body consumes. On the other hand the exercise is going to be a great addition and it's going to have a lot of benefits.

It's a matter of finding something you're comfortable with as far as an exercise program. I don't know if gyms in your area are expensive for it's just a budget issue but there are a lot of different online programs it's just a matter of searching and finding somethingand finding something you're comfortable.

Myself personally I like Tony Horton's Beachbody workout period they are expensive but it is a good workout also Beachbody has an online on demand exercise website. I believe it's about $9 a month

I'm already losing weight due to my chosen WOE. However, lifting will help speed that weight loss some as well as allow me to look better aesthetically. As I stared originally, I cannot afford a gym right now, at least not one with a good weight room, therefore I'm asking for some guidance from those MFPers who may be able to assist me.
  • Goddess0921
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Thank you! I'm going to check that out, it looks like something I will enjoy!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I liked ice cream fitness, I think, for allowing me to swap out other exercises for ones I had the equipment for.

My personal recommendation is to start with compound lifts - goblet/dumbbell squats, dumbbell bench press, overhead presses and kettle bell swings. Then use your total gym (I am assuming this is a cable machine?) to fill in some of the gaps. :)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves and Strong Lifts would be my suggestions. You can download the templates for SC online but I'd really recommend buying the book, it's a wonderful resource and I love the program. Strong Lifts 5x5 is wonderfully simple and there's even an app to help track your workouts (its free)
  • Goddess0921
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Strong Curves and Strong Lifts would be my suggestions. You can download the templates for SC online but I'd really recommend buying the book, it's a wonderful resource and I love the program. Strong Lifts 5x5 is wonderfully simple and there's even an app to help track your workouts (its free)

Thanks! I think I've heard of Strong Curves somewhere before, but I'm not sure. I'll definitely look into these!
  • Goddess0921
    Options
    I liked ice cream fitness, I think, for allowing me to swap out other exercises for ones I had the equipment for.

My personal recommendation is to start with compound lifts - goblet/dumbbell squats, dumbbell bench press, overhead presses and kettle bell swings. Then use your total gym (I am assuming this is a cable machine?) to fill in some of the gaps. :)

Thank you!! I love the idea of something that gives me options for moves I don't have the proper equipment for...that is one thing I find really frustrating right now. I've never heard of ice cream fitness, but I'll be looking it up right now!
  • Goddess0921
    Options
    jcohen702 wrote: »
    If you're willing to spend a little $$ DEFINITELY consider beachbody on demand (BOD)! It's now $99 for ALL ACCESS for the entire year. WAY cheaper than the gym! ~$8 per month :)

I've personally done 21 day fix extreme (HIIT), 22 minute hard corps (boot camp style), Core de Force (think kickboxing/MMA mix), PiYo (pilates/yoga fusion) and now I'm doing p90x3...I could't even tell you my favorite but there's certainly something for everyone. I also only have a pull up bar, a few dumbbells, and resistance bands at home...so you don't need much....many workouts also don't require any equipment and a ton of the workouts are 30 minutes.

{side note} I'm actually running a challenge group through Facebook with BOD and am offering my challengers $10 off their subscription! TONS of meal plans, recipes, and accountability. So contact me if you're interested...I'd love to have you!

I have a few BB videos, but that's not what I'm looking for right now. I want to use my benches and weights, I just need some guidance on how. Thank you, though!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    As far as what I didn't like, I just didn't enjoy it.

for match purposes, i'll say that i flipped through nrolfw in a bookstore and didn't even make it all the way through on a 'skim' level. it looked like idek how many weeks of nickel-and-dimey isolation-y stuff. blegh. i'm a person who can't even tolerate those yoga routines that go all through your left side before you switch up and repeat on the right.

so if that's accurate (guess it might not be since i didn't even skim the thing properly) then you might prefer something straightforward and compound-based like starting strength or stronglifts. i've moved on to wendler 5/3/1 but i still much prefer that kind of simplicity.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Another vote for strong lifts here. It's simple and you can do it at home. It uses a barbell but I've been able to do it with dumbbells.
  • Goddess0921
    edited April 2017
    Options
    As far as what I didn't like, I just didn't enjoy it.

for match purposes, i'll say that i flipped through nrolfw in a bookstore and didn't even make it all the way through on a 'skim' level. it looked like idek how many weeks of nickel-and-dimey isolation-y stuff. blegh. i'm a person who can't even tolerate those yoga routines that go all through your left side before you switch up and repeat on the right.

so if that's accurate (guess it might not be since i didn't even skim the thing properly) then you might prefer something straightforward and compound-based like starting strength or stronglifts. i've moved on to wendler 5/3/1 but i still much prefer that kind of simplicity.
    Another vote for strong lifts here. It's simple and you can do it at home. It uses a barbell but I've been able to do it with dumbbells.

I've got Stronglifts open in a window on my computer next to ice cream fitness. Those are two I really like that were recommended. Thank you!

I've also ordered Strong Curves from Amazon....

I think I'm set...and possibly easily swayed... :wink:
  • lwr731
    lwr731 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm doing NROLW, and it seems to be a good start for me. I started a few years ago, abandoned it for reasons I do not recall, and I did BodyPump for a while. I still think of BodyPump as more cardio, but...Anyway, I had to change gyms, so I'm kind of on my own. I am able to do NROLW, and I see some results. Admittedly, the book is not user-friendly, and it is redundant. I know others prefer NROL-Strength because it gives options. Starting Strength is another popular choice.
    Let us know what works for you. I'm going to be looking for something else once I finish NROLW.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Personally I like All Pro. It isn't everyone's cup of tea but it works for me.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    Also take a look at the programmes on this thread.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Cheers, h.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I'm already losing weight due to my chosen WOE. However, lifting will help speed that weight loss some as well as allow me to look better aesthetically. As I stared originally, I cannot afford a gym right now, at least not one with a good weight room, therefore I'm asking for some guidance from those MFPers who may be able to assist me.

lifting doesnt burn a lot of calories,so it wont speed up weight loss,weight is lost eating in a deficit. but it will change how your body look. when you lift your body will retain water so that it can help repair your muscles.so that will mask any weight loss at times as well