Protein shakes?!?!

Options
Does anyone know any protein shakes that work?

Replies

• princesstessa18
    princesstessa18 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I mean help stop the cravings and fill you up.
    Sorry should've been more specific.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Most protien shakes (whey) are designed to be digested quickly which is the reason it popular around workouts or for people that have a hard time meeting their protein goal by the foods they eat. It's easier to digest and it doesn't fill you up to the extent as protein rich whole foods with same amount of protein.

Casein powder is slower digesting protein if you're looking for more satiety.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I find the GNC lean shakes are more filling than my regular powdered isolate. More calories though. With fat and fibre they really fill me up though. 170 cals for 25g good enough for me
  • Zuzurillo
    Zuzurillo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've been really happy with Quest Multi-Purpose Protein Powder: 100 cals, 24g pro, 0 fat, 1 carb per serving. It's completely plain so easy to "doctor up" and make whatever flavor you feel like, add good fats etc... It makes fantastic low carb/high protein pancakes etc... too.
  • yogoson
    yogoson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    try to find a protein bar, less sugar and usually 20-25g of protein and imo, taste better
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I mean help stop the cravings and fill you up.
    Why not just eat food?

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Protein powder is not filling. Almost no liquid is going to be filling.

If you want something that holds you over, pair a protein shake with a pound of steamed broccoli or other fiberous veggie. Kimchi (spicy korean cabbage) is like 100cals for almost a full pound, full of fiber and biotics.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is great for getting extra protein or adding protein to treats that normally don't have much. In fact I have a protein cheesecake in the oven right now. It can make some of things more filling than usual but I don't find protein shakes to be very filling. I second the suggestions to use whole foods to keep you full. Lean meats and high fiber veggies are great.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Echoing what others have said and adding, what people find satiating will vary from individual to individual. Some feel full longer with protein, others prefer carbs, other fats. I find fats more satiating that protein or carbs so I tend to spend more calories on fat than someone who finds potatoes or lean protein, for example, satisfying. Luckily, I'm not a volume eater!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    yogoson wrote: »
    try to find a protein bar, less sugar and usually 20-25g of protein and imo, taste better

Most protein shakes don't have sugar. I think you got this backwards

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i use a tasty sugar-free, fat-free protein drink, but i mostly use it for muscle building on and after workout days.

i do eat quest bars because some flavors are insanely tasty, and they satisfy me enough with my chocolate cravings that i don't binge on chocolate. but everyone doesn't love every flavor, so it takes some experimenting. i love double chocolate chunk and also chocolate chip cookie dough the most. also oh yeah! one bars birthday cake flavor. i eat them instead of other protein foods, sometimes with brussel sprouts or asparagus or something like that with a low cal dressing.
  • TejahBee
    TejahBee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What I do is use the recommended amount of water, but half the serving of protein powder. I then add one tablespoon of flax meal, and a spoon of no calorie sweetener. Shaaaaake it up. You may have to shake it up halfway through drinking too.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The best advise I read regarding Protein Shakes and ANY supplement: "you must deserve to use a supplement".

Being said that, IMO people should start using ANY suplements when the goal is close to be reached.

I started using supplements (recommended by PT) when I have left 2 or 3 kilos to my goal (from 99 to 78, goal 75, 171 cms tall). That's when I stopped counting ONLY calories and started taking care of macros.

So, and again IMO, only start thinking on suplements when you are close to reach your final goal. Until then, cardio and calorie count.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a protein shake yet that DOESN'T have sugar. And yes, bananas count.

I echo the sentiment that real food curbs hunger. For me that would be slow digesting carbs paired with fat.

Celery with laughing cow.
    My breakfast, oatmeal with cottage cheese and PB2.
    Quinoa with minced veggies and a vinegar-oil dressing.
    Rye cracker and cheese.
    Nuts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yogoson wrote: »

I have no particular love for protein powder (it's fine if you need more protein, I had some yesterday in a delicious smoothie* that made up much of my lunch -- not all because I do like to eat something too) and enjoy the occasional Quest bar, and would even say that for me the Quest bar is more likely to be filling than a plain protein shake with nothing else in it. BUT, protein shakes can have less sugar if sugar is the concern. I normally get Biochem, which has none in the kind I get, and I know it's not hard to find other brands where that is so. (The reason I get the Biochem is that from sampling so far it tastes the best to me).

*My new obsession, unsweetened coconut milk (the 45 cal stuff), half an avocado, a bunch of spinach, and vanilla protein powder. Super delicious and creamy. Not low cal, though. ;-)
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is not filling. Almost no liquid is going to be filling.

If you want something that holds you over, pair a protein shake with a pound of steamed broccoli or other fiberous veggie. Kimchi (spicy korean cabbage) is like 100cals for almost a full pound, full of fiber and biotics.

I mix my protein powder with stuff to make a smoothie out of it. Like some unsweetened almond milk, frozen berries (strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, blueberry), a banana and protein powder. Or some chocolate cashew milk, banana, PB2, protein powder and ice. Give it a good run with the blender and then I'll spend an hour or two sipping that out of an insulated cup.

The berry version is 359 calories and the chocolate PB2 version is 345 calories to make a 500 mL serving that can function as a small meal. If I make one at around 12:30 for lunch, I'm good until dinner at 19:00.

• Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are infinitely better at making me feel full than protein shakes are. I like the Kirkland (Costco) Signature Protein Bars. They pack in a good amount of fiber, too. I add shake powder to my green smoothies or to "overnight oats", but just shake powder by itself feels completely unfulfilling.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes don't "work" nor does any other kind of food. You work by going for a run, picking up heavy things, or going for a bicycle ride. Protein just helps repair your muscles after you are done. It doesn't really matter whether you get it in a shake or from eating meat or from plant based proteins. For a lot of athletes, a glass of chocolate milk is the way to go.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    a glass of chocolate milk is the way to go.

The easiest and very economical alternative to fancy "recovery drinks".

By the way, on a separate note, protein powder is food. And I make a strawberry protein shake about 3 times per week for breakfast. Since I eat 5 times per day, it's a perfectly filling 350-400 calories (depending on how everything weighs out).

[ETA - I also use greek yogurt in the shake (more like a smoothie), which give casein protein - another reason it fills me up well].