Food

Options
So looking for advice aslong as I eat my 1400 cals a day does it matter what I spend it on. For example I be having 4/5 bits of bread a day as having toasties for lunch then toast with poach egg and bacon for evening meal after gym for easyness. Hoping it's OK as it's still within my daily cal intake thankyou

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Overall nutrition is always important. I aim for 80% of my calories from nutrient-dense foods and 20% from treats.

For weight loss, you need to consume fewer calories than your body uses. You can do that with smaller portions and/or satisfying substitutions.
  • partyqueen1234
    partyqueen1234 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes I know and 1400 is under way under but does it matter whst I use my calories on. I not really veg fan and eork and gym life hectic so cam only fo sandwiches for work and toast is better at night as easier
  • Elenjones1014
    Elenjones1014 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you eat a lot of toast/bread you may get fairly bored...
    1400 isn't that low... Mine is 1200.
    You might not be getting the nutrients you need if you don't eat many fruits or vegetables, different grain, etc...
    You'll still lose weight if you eat less than you burn no matter what you eat but you may not be a good shape as you lose weight if it's not a varied relatively healthy diet.
    Good luck
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd be hungry all the time with so much bread on 1400 calories. And yeah, you'd probably be lacking a lot of vitamins and nutrients.
  • partyqueen1234
    Options
    I am having veg though on sandwiches, I am hsbing protein through eggs and ham and pulses such as baked beans etc. I eont be having this much bread every day 2-3 days a week the rest of week will be soup for lunch with only bread in the evening.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Bread in and of itself won't do anything to harm your loss. If you're still getting a good range of nutrients, you'll be fine.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I think of my calories like money that I need to budget in order to get the most out of the limited resource.

Are you logging your intake? Start by logging what you normally eat for a couple of weeks so that you can gather some data. You can then go back through to see where you might eat smaller portions or make satisfying substitutions. Don't try to change everything at once. Baby steps will get you there.

I eat much less bread now than I did before. Not because I'm specifically avoiding it but because I'd rather spend my calories on other things.

For weight loss, calories are king. If you are aiming to lose weight, calories are where you need to concentrate. Nutrition is always a consideration for overall health and logging will help you tweak your way of eating to be more nutritious if that needs adjustment.
  • partyqueen1234
    Options
    That was my thinking currently I need to lose weight at eating 1400 cal a dsy while working out will do that and surely if I only eat bread up to 1400 cal a day which I am not going to do I still lose weight as still my calorie intake once weight off I will focus on changing it more for nutritional but currently eating like this works for me and I am happy to do it was just wanting conformational I will still lose as it's all with daily cal intake
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes I know and 1400 is under way under but does it matter whst I use my calories on. I not really veg fan and eork and gym life hectic so cam only fo sandwiches for work and toast is better at night as easier

It matters for nutrition and might matter for how satisfied you are and whether you are able to stick to the deficit without having a blowout day or being too hungry once the initial motivation wears off.

It's also important, whatever else, to get enough protein (at least the MFP goal, but that's sometimes low), if you want to maintain muscle (this is always one reason not to eat way below your deficit).

Doesn't matter for loss, and bread isn't necessarily a terrible thing anyway so long as it is not crowding out other things you need in your diet. I do think it's worth trying to learn to like vegetables, but that's for nutrition.