Ramen Noodles..

Options
I'm getting really tempted to dig into some of those Ramen noodle bags in the back of my pantry.. There not too high on calories but the sodium content is insane. Should I just throw them out?

Replies

• MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Actually, Ramen Noodles aren't that bad for you, just as long as you don't use the flavor packet. Add your own spices (I prefer pepper, red pepper, basil, thyme and just a pinch of salt).
  • jenjam27
    jenjam27 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I fell for the temptation one night and the next day gained 5lbs!!! I'm sure it was from the sodium. I like the idea above season them yourself i've seen people use them in salads
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat it then be sure you drink lots of water for the sodium!
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I make the noodles, chuck the packet of flavour (ie the salt) and then add veggies. It helps the sodium, at least.
  • redcurlygirl
    Options
    I love taking ramen noodles and making them into a nutritious meal (minus the sodium) I'll make them, and add 2 cups of frozen veggies and some preprepared strips of chicken breast. It makes an easy and relatively healthy meal for 2 in less than 10 minutes. It also does well in a container in the fridge for a few days or a few weeks in a freezer. Easy, cheap, and a great way to satisfy the craving. (I dearly love Ramen!!)
  • k1764940
    k1764940 Posts: 1
    Options
    Look at the carbs and the serving size! I thought they were not that bad until I saw those numbers!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Way back in Beforeland, I would make a pack of ramen and add it to soup, like cream of broccoli.

As long as you throw away the flavor packet and don't eat two packs at once, you should be okay. Add some veggies and herbs to the water while you cook the noodles. If you want the flavor, maybe only use half of the flavor pack.

And yes, chug water like a madman afterward!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Well I do sometimes get a craving for Ramen, but I've been a vegetarian for well over a year...before I started MFP or dieting. I found a solution that I still use (similar to others' posted)

I get the Edward & Son's Not Chickn boullion cubes and use half a cube of that and add veggies and only use half the pack of ramen since the veggies take up the other half
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I've eaten them once in a while but I only use about a quarter to a third of the flavor packet to cut the sodium way down.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    what i do with ramen. is i use half of the noodles, boil them with tomatoes brocoli and mushrooms. and put a ton of hot sauce in it.

i dont know what the sodium content is like but it makes me sweat and i drink a ton of ice cold water with it haha
  • jwerman
    jwerman Posts: 176
    Options
    I have to agree with some of the others on here and say, enjoy them but WITHOUT the flavor packet...not worth the sodium!! Just get creative with spices (I like garlic and cayenne pepper), add some chopped veggies, tofu, egg, or chicken and enjoy a fulfilling meal instead of one you may regret later. :)
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Bad bad bad! There is absolutely nothing good about ramen noodles. No nutritional value whatsoever.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Definitely skip the spice packet. That is where all the sodium in from.

But either way, the noodles are still not the healthiest...but everything is okay in moderation, right? You'll just do worse if you keep craving them. Just eat a small portion size with lots of veggies and some healthy, lean protein....and don't eat it every day. Every now and then won't kill you. Just be smart about it.
  • squishyjenn
    squishyjenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of the olden days when I'd cook up 1-2 packs of Ramen, drain the water and throw em on a very buttered pan to saute with the packet....ew!
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    me too, squishyJenn!
  • laurstarks
    laurstarks Posts: 35
    Options
    Look at the carbs and the serving size! I thought they were not that bad until I saw those numbers!

definitely not endorsing carbs in mass quantities (or ramen, for that matter), but on average a 1/2 cup to a cup (depending on the shape, of course) of regular pasta has around 40 grams of carbs, so it's not really that outrageous.
  • Gessa007
    Gessa007 Posts: 50
    Options
    Ugh this thread makes me want to hurl...... starting out on your own and all you and your room mates can afford is raman, never touch it again! :noway:
  • Wanda66
    Wanda66 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also boil extra hot water so I can flush the oil off the noodles in a colandar. And I ditch the packet.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Ugh this thread makes me want to hurl...... starting out on your own and all you and your room mates can afford is raman, never touch it again! :noway:

I agree. It just brings back horrid memories of days when I couldn't afford much else.