Tips for Nighttime Sugar Cravings

Options
Any tips for cutting the desire for sweets at night? I've heard this is linked to fluctuating cortisol levels... all I know is that I do well all day until about 8:30pm!

Replies

• Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not really a tip, but I save calories for a sweet treat after dinner. Usually it's a small pudding cup (sugar free, I know I know) and it calms my craving. I typically crave sweets all the time, but during the day I can drink water and have a piece of fruit and be fine knowing I get my little treat later on.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's probably a habit. If you are used to eating sweets in the evening, you will want them if you quit.

The question is whether you have a reason (I don't care what it is, your business) for not wanting to eat any sweets in the evening or if you can decide to save calories and fit in a little something. I've done both. I quit eating sweets for a while and because I still liked having a little something after dinner I'd have some really good cheese (which is a dessert course, after all) or maybe some fruit if that doesn't play into the desire for sweet. After I did that for a while I decided it was fine to have something dessert like after dinner if I had the calories and would, but I wouldn't go over calories (or eat after my dessert right after dinner, since I wanted to break the habit of snacking), and I wouldn't do it every day.

On the habit thing, if you are used to eating when doing a particular evening activity (like being on the computer, watching TV, reading, even being in a particular chair), that could easily trigger the desire, so changing up activities can help.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Try this. Get your food scale out and slice up 100g of strawberries (32 cals), top with 1 TB dark chocolate syrup (50 cals), and 2 TB of Redi-Whip (15 cals). Super awesome sweet and decadent treat for under 100 cals and you get some vitamins and fiber to boot. I actually use my food scale to weight out the gram version of the chocolate syrup and cream so make sure I am staying in that calorie range but I can't remember what the actual weights are right now.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of tea and have some fruit - an orange, some strawberries, pineapple, berries. That usually helps cut down. Sometimes I have one of those 60 calorie Jello pudding sugar-free cups. They are awesome. The tea helps though because it gives me something to hold and sip on if I'm watching TV.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    If you're in the US, try to find Halo Top icecream. I just discovered it over the weekend but it's seriously amazing. It's under 300 calories for a whole PINT, and it tastes really really good. It's sweetened with ethryitol which is a wonderful sugar substitute without the nasty aftertaste or bowl issues that other types can cause.

Another option would be protein fluff. Google it! You basically just combine protein powder (apparently casein is better), a bit of milk (cow's, almond, soy, whatever) and frozen berries. You blend it up in the blender then whip it up with a Kitchenaide or hand-mixer. It becomes a huge bowl of fluffy protein icecream. Extremely low-calorie and you can eat a whole big bowl to satisfy your snacky urge.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello with 95 % fat free Cool whip. Works for me.
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Last night I wanted something, but I just went to bed. Doesn't hurt that I get up at 5AM and am always exhausted. At 8:30 I felt hungry and wanted something. Proceeded to take the dogs out for their last break, brush teeth, etc, and then go to bed.
  • loulouowens
    loulouowens Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Im the same, every evening after all my jobs are finished i sit down with a cup of tea, and always save cals for something, this could be a kitkat (107) a curly wurly (118) or sometimes upto (200) calories if my day has worked like that.

I tried not doing this but wouldgo a few days then binge, i love chocolate so allow myself a calorie controlled portion everyday otherwise i feel deprived
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I leave about 200 calories for the end of the day, so I can have my "dessert." It's always candy, chocolate, or ice cream. Hasn't slowed my weight loss down. And I don't freak out and binge from deprivation.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Halo Top ice cream!!! lol
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm on the Halo Top ice cream bandwagon, but yes, it's pricey. If you're craving chocolate, Popsicle brand has a low cal fudgcicle that is amazing. I also like the strawberries/chocolate syrup/whipped cream idea and have used that in the past to quell a craving for sweets. You can get a bag of mini chocolates if you have willpower and self control anyway and have one or two of those as well. I can't keep a bag of sweets in the house as I will just eat them all!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    halo top ice cream. sugar free pudding cups and now I love sugar free jello cups with sugar free fruit cup and cool whip- wonderful- or sometimes a small bowl of cereal with light milk is just sweet enough
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I either buy low-cal deserts, or I would recommend peanut butter. Somehow, it helps me with the sweet tooth I might have because it's usually something else that I'm missing nutritionally that makes me want chocolate and sweets. If not that, I find a protein packed snack, and get my sugar in the morning from coffee.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello with 95 % fat free Cool whip. Works for me.

You beat me to it! Except I skip the Cool Whip because I freaking love Cool Whip and can't stop at just one serving.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Have sugar free jello. One serving is 10cal
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Fast carbs make me sleepy so I save some for before bed.

However, tonight there is some low sugar, high protein cheesecake waiting for me: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10500016/low-calorie-protein-cheesecake/p1

I made chocolate raspberry.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    A hot cup of chamomile tea and some fruit does it for me. Whatever is in season and delicious. Currently munching on strawberries.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - save some calories for dessert. People have already covered my favorites - halo top, jello sugar free pudding, etc. Some other good choices - Yasso makes frozen Greek yogurt bars - it's just like an ice cream snack with cookie dough or cookies and cream. I also like regular Greek yogurt - the Dannon Light and Fit kind is only 80 calories and a good source of protein. (The Yasso bars are tastier but only like 5g of protein for 100 calories vs 12g of protein for 80 calories with Dannon.)

Tonight for dessert I had a low fat nutragrain eggo (70 calories) with a little bit of cinnamon spice and 2 tbs cool whip (15 calories.) It was delish and under 100 calories!

So unless you have some other dietary issues, you really don't have to abstain from late night sweets. Just find some low calorie ones that fit into your goal.
  • setzerfan
    setzerfan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A sliced apple does the trick for me, especially sweeter varieties like honeycrisp.
  • bringingsexyback2007
    bringingsexyback2007 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Halo Top ice cream! It is delicious and loaded with protein!