Brain Tumor Surgery

Options
So I have Cushing's Disease which means I have a tumor in my pituitary gland that causes my body to produce insanely high levels of cortisol (stress hormone) that messes with your hormones and causes your body to go into a constant panic mode which results in fat production because the high cortisol/adrenaline rushes make your body think its dying which puts it in survival mode. Normally this causes immense weight gain, however in the last year I've lost 100 lbs. despite the disease advancing. In the last 3 months the symptoms have increased dramatically (bone brittleness, muscular atrophy, joint pain, mental fog, dizziness, panic attacks et al.) and I have surgery scheduled for this Wednesday - ironically, it's on my birthday...which is hysterical because I wished for a surgical date for my birthday.

I'm used to going to the gym 7 days a week but now I won't be able to and I'm terrified about what this means for my weight loss. I normally try and eat within 1200-1400 calories (or half of my exercise calories) with the exception of my birthday week! - so I'm not sure how I can decrease to make up for the lack of exercise and still stick to what is considered a balanced diet. I have no idea what to expect for recovery as the change in hormones will also affect my metabolism. Do I give myself a break and just try and eat healthy or do I obsess over calories that I can't 'fix' with exercise? Honestly, I'm just scared and overwhelmed about dealing with the after-effects of the surgery and terrified that I'm going to gain back what I fought so hard to lose because I don't know how long it will take for me to recover not being able to stick to my tried and true routines. Apparently it can take a year to reverse symptoms doing steroid/hormone replacement therapies and AHHH, I just don't know what to do.

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULALTIONS on your loss!!! That's amazing. As for the diet break, I agree. Work to maintain and heal. Right now that's the most important thing just don't start treating yourself to too many unhealthy treats as we are sometimes tempted to do. You have done an amazing job all with a disease that makes it harder to do. Cudos to you for hanging in there and good luck with your surgery. You are an ispiration.
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My best friend had that surgery in 2011. It went very well and recovery time wasn't bad, considering it was brain surgery.

I would eat at maintenance calories while you are recovering. Your body needs calories to repair.

Good luck!

Agree with this 100% - your body needs the fuel to recover from surgery.

Plus, if you are anything like me, anesthesia takes any desire to eat away for about a week. Ugh. Hate that stuff and usually drop weight because I am completely uninterested in food.

Good luck and happy birthday!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Have healthy foods and don't worry about losing.

Good luck. I hope it goes well for you. :)
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance until you are fully recovered. I wish you the best.
  • buffalo02
    buffalo02 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How did surgery go? I am dealing with my fourth round of Cushing’s disease. We could totally support each other through the journey of getting our lives back together.
  • NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It looks like the original poster hasn't returned since May of 2017, @buffalo02. Hopefully someone with similar experiences will stumble across this thread. I wish you luck on your journey!