1st run today

Options
I just completed my first bit of exercise since having my son 15.5 months ago! I do walk but I'm talking cardio like running, Zumba etc.

I'm doing the c25k and I feel fine after. My Fitbit said my heart rate was good. I feel really good though, and have lots of energy after. Just got to keep it up. What types of snacks would people recommend me having after? I don't like bananas and I have a nut allergy

Replies

• SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Not sure you really need a snack afterwards unless you are hungry. Maybe just some fruit?
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Great job! I like to have some milk afterwards (just a cup/8 oz) usually chocolate, but not always. I like a little protein recovery after a workout.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    As someone else said - CHOCOLATE MILK! Just have a cup (250 mL) though, it's really high in protein and carbs if you over drink but right after a workout it helps to replenish what your body needs from working out.

Congrats on the first run! It must feel great to be back :)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    What do you usually snack on? Have that. I don't have a regular snack after a run. I don't usually snack after a run. After a run, I stretch, have a cool down walk with the dog, shower, change and have dinner at it's usual time. (I run/work out after work). Whatever you have, dinner, breakfast, lunch, or snack, be sure to weigh, measure and log it. Running does not give you a license to "eat whatever you want".

Enjoy the run.
  • clairele84
    clairele84 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had some grapes in the end. I like be my food and was really hungry when I got back. I was not impressed with my hubby who had a jam doughnut and a pecan pastry in front of me
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Agree, there's no particular need to snack after short to medium runs unless you're hungry - then eat what you like.

I'd be concerned about 'what' I was eating if it were before a run so I avoid gastrointestinal issues during the run.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good job! You don't really need a snack after that, unless you are hungry, then just eat whatever snack you normally eat/plan for. Your body doesn't really burn enough to need much refueling/replenishing after that.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like to have almonds. There are some great 100 calorie packs. or I run close enough to dinner that I can just eat within 30 mins that way. Welcome to the run club! :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I always try to have a combo of carbs & protein both before & after exercise. Yogurt & fruit, protein shake with fruit, crackers & hummus, etc. I like both pb & bananas and I have some of each almost rvery day (but not together as some do), but those aren't options for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    As someone else said - CHOCOLATE MILK! Just have a cup (250 mL) though, it's really high in protein and carbs if you over drink but right after a workout it helps to replenish what your body needs from working out.

Congrats on the first run! It must feel great to be back :)

That's probably more calories than OP has burnt on their run...
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry - try finding some 50 calorie or 100 calorie snacks. Goldfish, grapes, pudding (I'm a sucker for pudding packs), a salad, lunch meat, Tuna and crackers, etc ... - whatever you enjoy.

Congrats on your first run!! Hopefully, 1st of MANY!!