It's Not Hunger It's Thirst

Options
seantnash
seantnash Posts: 77 Member
edited May 2017 in Food and Nutrition
No it's not. It's wanting to swallow that entire box of doughnuts in one gulp.

Drinking a glass of water is definitely no replacement for wolfing down a pack of Oreos :smiley:

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Cosigned.
  • seantnash
    Options
    Well that's what the milk is for, for thirst!
    Duh!!!

I'm British though. Milk and cookies isn't really a thing here :disappointed: Even Oreo cookies are really biscuits over here. Though they get a special exemption for being so freaking awesome :smiley:
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I am on a 24hour fast. Can we not talk about hunger please. Thanks :p
  • seantnash
    Options
    I am on a 24hour fast. Can we not talk about hunger please. Thanks :p

Water, all you need is water :smirk:
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    seantnash wrote: »
    Seriously though, if I'm (genuinely) hungry then I find water will take the edge off for like 5 minutes, if that. Rather than actually being thirsty instead of hungry I would posit that you're bored rather than hungry. Getting water gives you something to do, thus not thinking about your belly for a little while.

I could of course be wrong. But, whilst I totally advocate staying well hydrated, it's never been a hunger "cure" for me.

On a serious note, hunger most of the time is mental. Practicing IF for 4 years has taught me that hunger is not bad. Things get much easier when you accept it for what it is and do what you have to do.
  • seantnash
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Some of us just have really broken hunger cues!

Must say that's something I've really worked on over the past couple of months. Establishing proper eating routines and being mindful of my thoughts / body's needs. It's not easy after over 30 years of disordered eating but, every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better and learning about my own body.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    seantnash wrote: »

On a serious note, hunger most of the time is mental. Practicing IF for 4 years has taught me that hunger is not bad. Things get much easier when you accept it for what it is and do what you have to do.

That's SO true - and applies to lots of aspects of life, not just hunger. We view things as being inherently bad or good rather than just being what they are.

I've decided to quit smoking whilst losing weight (a masochist I know!) and, instead of getting myself into a state about me wanting crappy foods, I accept them and have them, but still sticking to my calorie allowance as much as I can. My macros have temporarily gone out the window for the next few weeks. And that isn't a bad thing. It's me reacting to my situation right now and doing what I need to do for me to be able to not smoke *and* lose weight (or maintain) at the same time.

As a result of being kind to myself and just accepting it for what it is I've lost 5 pounds during my first week of not smoking (I'm 380 pounds hence the larger weight loss). I know me and I know if I was worrying about things like macros and punishing myself for eating that tub of ice-cream I'd have probably gained 5 pounds this week AND started smoking again.

I don't know how new you are to this, but I have to say you have figured a lot out early. Good job!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Totally true. I always want food. Sometimes I need to drink, but I am definitely hungry.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Drinking a glass of water is no replacement for a few fingers of good Scotch.

Is this not the "thirst" you are referring to?