Maybe finally found some help with PCOS

Options
I don't usually blog but I feel like I should if it can help others with losing weight, particularly if they suffer from PCOS (Polycycstic Ovarian Syndrome) or whatever the male counterpart may be.

If you are unfamiliar with this syndrome, it is a syndrome where insulin resistance in the body cause all sorts of problems like: lack of/infrequent cycles, infertility, acne, inability to lose weight, cystic ovaries, hair loss, diabetes, inflammation, among other things.

My PCOS presented itself to me around the age of 10 during a pre-puberty stage. I was a small thin child who suddenly gained a lot of weight within about a year. Slowly I thinned out throughout puberty, but my belly fat always remained. I was very self conscious and wore clothes to cover my belly at all times.

From the beginning of my cycles, they were never regular. They were not a month apart, sometimes 40 days, sometimes I skipped a month altogether.

My freshman year of college I left home for the first time and loss my best friend in a car accident. These stresses increased my PCOS symptoms, most noticeably, I did not have a menstral cycle for a whole year. I went to the gynecologist and she told me I most likely had PCOS and put me on birth control to regulate my cycles. It did regulate them, but I also put on a lot of weight over the next 3 years. At graduation, I was about 30 pounds heavier than I was as a freshman.

Through my 20s I dieted and worked out and gained and lost weight within about a 40 pound range over and over again. I got married young, at 24, and started trying to conceive a baby around 27. I had to see a reproductive endocrinologist who put me on metformin to regulate my cycles. It did that, but I was still not ovulating. So at 29, I conceived my first son with the help of an oral medication, chlomid. I was able to keep my weight gain minimal throughout pregnancy, but gained 30+ pounds nursing over the next 18 months. I was at my heaviest point of my life.

I also had a horrible bout of cystic acne on my entire face as well as severe sleep apnea. I was miserable and very stressed out because I had a difficult time being alone 24/7 with a special needs toddler.

Around the age of 33 I decided to get my body ready to try for another child. I did the paleo diet and lost about 30 pounds pretty quickly. I also started sleeping with a CPAP machine. Within about 6 weeks of using the machine, I was pregnant with my second son. I believe that a combination of diet (low carb/high protein) and the first time on having some sort of real sleep in years helped me conceive my second son. I did not have to take any meds.

Throughout his pregnancy I only gained about 10 pounds because I started heavy. Then, after his birth I was suddenly almost 30 pounds lighter than I was to start the pregnancy! During this pregnancy I did have gestational diabetes and had to count carbs for the first time. I believe this led to weight LOSS during pregnancy.

Again after 18 months of nursing I put that 30 pounds right back on.

So from the age of 35 until now at 42, again I have been yo-yoing between about 35-40 pounds. Ugh!

Finally, I found a Doctor in Colorado Springs who specialized in the care of women with PCOS! What?!?! A doctor?!?!?? A real medica professional?!?!? Not an online nutrition coach. Not an acupuncturist. Not a yogi. Not someone who wants me to meditate and become a vegan?? (I'm not knocking these people. They are all helpful in some way. But PCOS requires medical attention, not just calming down and magical nutrition and stretches to cure you).

So in November, this doctor put me on Phentermine and Metformin. He said the Phentermine will help me with cravings and be able to reset my set point weight because my body always wants to jump right back to the same number. This is a strong body reflex in women with PCOS. The metformin will help the insulin resistance and weight loss as well.

So it is almost 6 months later and I have lost 33 pounds. Up until this point it has all been with sticking to a very low carb/ high protein diet - less than 50 g of carbs and 80-100 g of protein per day. It is very difficult to continue to eat this way, but the Phentermine has helped tremendously. I also have only been doing light workouts up to this point; walking, light weights and yoga. I am currently trying to increase my physical activity to push the weight loss a little more and because I miss it. I have always been physically active. Two years ago I trained for my first half marathon and actually GAINED weight while running and eating healthy. PCOS is a very unforgiving syndrome and makes it feel hopeless to lose anything. I know I am lucky because I was able to conceive two babies and have not had any losses. I have relatively clear skin now and a decent head of hair. My doctor has told me I do NOT possess polycyctic ovaries. My cycles are now regular with no birth control pills. My biggest wall is tackling this weight loss. I kept remaining in the red Zone for pre-diabetes. It just got to the point for me where I needed to find some real help or face diabetes. It's either the Phentermine and Metformin or it's become a diabetic. I am choosing against Diabetes. I will do whatever it takes to avoid that.

I recently had my blood drawn and my A1C is down about 1/2 a point since November. I will continue this method of weight loss until I reach my goal weight. For me that is about 55 pounds away. I feel like it's more realistic now. I will keep you updated.

If you suffer from this syndrome, seek help. It's not your fault. Don't beat yourself up. It's a hard one to tackle, but it can be done.

Nice to meet you all.

Replies

• yourock2018
    yourock2018 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi that was inspirational, i have PCOS and have been blessed to have two children with help of ivf, but losing weight yes a problem just a question, what do you set your goals for carbs, protein and fat on the app and ideas of how do you increase protein (what are the best proteins to have that dont kill the fat goal)
  • lainamarie74
    lainamarie74 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm trying. Really trying. I try not to go over 50 g of carbs. This includes veggie carbs. So it's very low. But the good thing is I can subtract fibers from the carb count. That helps a lot because the veggies and fruits have lots of fiber too. I do limit fruits though because of the sugars/carbs. I aim for 80-100 g of protein. I try for the higher end because I'm already eating so little as it is. I do not have a target fat count. I've asked my dr and they say just to choose healthy fats. So usually I'm around 50-60g per day. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. For me, the Phentermine makes all the difference. Without it, I would be obsessing about food all day and it helps me not to get such low blood sugar where I feel horrible and weak. Part of PCOS is having such a need / craving for carbs. They are so hard to cut not just because they taste good, but my body wants them. Without them I just feel terrible. Sweaty, chills, shaky, weak, tired, etc. The Phentermine is controversial because the FDA has only approved 3 months of it before you have to get off. It is also one of the Phens from the Phen-phen that was taken off the market in the 90s because it was causing heart issues. I think heart valve problems. This Phentermine comes from the "good" Phen that did not cause this problem. It does have side effects though. In people that already suffer from depression , it can make that worse. It can also increase blood pressure and /or make you jittery. Some also complain about constipation as well. For me , I'm using it under the care of a physician. My blood pressure is fine. At the beginning I was a little jittery, but not to the point where it's a problem. And it passed. Also I have had severe days of constipation, but over all nothing too significant. So for me, it works. Definitely get it from a doctor and NOT on the internet. My insurance does not cover it but a month supply is less than $20 which is worth it to me. Something to consider for sure.
  • tpavur88
    tpavur88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and have only felt good and lost weight on Paleo. My fiance and I were trying to get pregnant for 3 1/2 years before I started eating Paleo. About 6 months later I was pregnant. Good luck! I just started eating Paleo again and hope to lose 120 pounds.
  • greensleeves33
    greensleeves33 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I'm lucky enough to have a little boy, after 1 1/2 years of trying.

My problem is now loosing the baby weight :( Can anyonerecommend what my daily goals should be in relation to sugar, carbs, protein etc?

I'm currently taking 1000g of Metformin daily and on the contraceptive pill. I try to exercise 3-4 times a week, including weights but I literally cant even shift 1lb. I'm getting married next April and would love to be able to loose some weight before hand :(

Any help would be great!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I likely have PCOS...in the process of getting tests done and my thyroid was fine, so waiting until my DR here will test me for PCOS, but I eat a low carb, high fat diet ketogenic diet. I've lost 23lbs in 10 weeks, which anyone with PCOS will know is a HUGE accomplishment. Before this I was doing low fat, moderate carb for YEARS with little to no success. I eat 20g or less carbs/day. I try to split my macros 5% carbs/25% protein/70% fat or at least close to that. I'm not sure how the meds react and affect cravings, but I have very few cravings for carbs now, and I keep some low carb friendly "cheats" on hand, such as low carb waffles and ice cream. It's a tough process and I only started it because it was recommended for those with PCOS/diabetes/thyroid problems. I still have about 50-60lbs to go but for the first time ever, it actually feels possible. Good luck, ladies!
  • lifeisahighway
    lifeisahighway Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have PCOS too! <3
  • ErinMichelle31
    ErinMichelle31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's nice to see this support from people who have this problem! Your post is inspirational. I also have PCOS, but only just got a diagnosis. People act like cravings are weakness, but the carb cravings from PCOS are very real! The insulin resistance makes your body just turn carbs into fat, but then you crave them because your body thinks it's not getting any! It's a vicious cycle. Within a week of being on metformin I felt like a new person! I stopped sweating all the time and now I feel the cold like a normal person! (I'm not kidding--I used to turn the AC on in my car when it was 40 degrees outside because I was so hot ALL THE TIME). I have been eating lower carb, and the carbs I do eat are always complex whole grains--none of the white processed stuff. It's so nice to hear from other people who have this problem and to know I am not alone!
  • lainamarie74
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. Yes. It is most definitely a serious syndrome- feels more like a disease to me. It's is hard to battle, but possible. The hardest thing for me is long term / lifestyle change and social eating. Good luck to all of you trying to beat it. For me, the low carb/ high protein is key. The Phentermine has helped me continue this for longer. I am also on 1500mg of metformin. (500 3x per day with meals). My advice to the young ladies with this diagnosis is to really focus on diet and moderate steady activity. I feel like it is much more manageable in your teens and 20s. It's so hard in the 30s-40s, particularly after kids. If you can get to your 30s and 40s without excessive weight, it will be so helpful. It's SO much harder to lose later. Focus on fitness (not excessively) and healthy lifestyle. Be kind to your body. Learn how to handle your stress also. That's a big one. Good luck.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    My 19 yr old daughter was just diagnosed with this and struggles with her weight. I'll send her a link to this discussion so she can follow it. Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on finally finding help for your condition!!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and my 15 yo daughter was diagnosed a year ago. Yup, this nastiness has a hereditary link! She takes BCPs, and one that specifically targets her acne. I went undiagnosed until my mid-30s, after I spend 3 years trying to conceive. Part of the reason I went undiagnosed is because I wasn't overweight. I never had regular cycles, except when on BCPs. It's been tough on my daughter, because while she doesn't have the weight issue--apparently 50% of PCOS'ers don't---she has other issues. Happy that you found treatment and that it's working! Hugs!
  • lainamarie74
    Options
    I went to a dr appointment today. Over the last two months my weight loss has slowed a bit. But it's still a loss. I am now adding amino acids. They are also supposed to help with fat loss. I will let you know. Lately I've been struggling with the right amount of exercise that doesn't make me too hungry or go into low sugar mode. I need to do shorter, medium and low intensity workouts regularly. My instinct is to go full- throttle and work as hard as I can. For me, this is not always beneficial.