Noob Stupid Question Alert - Exercise Tracker

Options
simonanderson73
simonanderson73 Posts: 6 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm an overweight male from the north east of UK and recently quit smoking and decided to get fit, I was recommended this site / app and I'm really impressed - any-hoo enough about me.

As a reward for not spending money on Marlboro I would like a fitness tracker that I can use in the pool, on my bike, wear for steps etc. It doesn't have to be all bells and whistles and isvery much substance over style and needs to link into the MFP so which one would people recommend and why?

Any help greatly appreciated - Cheers

Replies

• stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am no help at all...I still use one of these....LOL zvzd2u8eiqka.jpg
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You'll get better answers if you can tell us (1) what your budget is, and (2) what you expect of it. You said you'd like to be able to wear it while you swim and ride a bike - would you like it to be able to give you useful information about your exercise while you do this, or do you want it only to track your steps? That's a fairly sizeable distinction and will help to narrow your choices down.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    One obvious detail is it needs to be water proof. a little Google search and I came upon this:

http://www.pcmag.com/roundup/328228/the-best-waterproof-fitness-trackers

The page has links to reviews. THis would be a good starting place. Read them, see what features each has in order to consider which features matter to you.
  • Sjoerringvej100
    Sjoerringvej100 Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi simonanderson73, i'm using Garming Vivoactiv Link here https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/150767 It's waterproof for swimming, programmable for new apps, good battery lifetime, up till 5 days before charging. easy to sync, both Androide and apple IOS compatible cheap prizetag approx 100-120£ (on ebay.co.uk) it's also support heart rate monitor, speed sensor and kadance sensor for bikes, it has step counter! I would think that is a good activi tracker,! downside, low visabilaty in low light, even white the builtin light and it vibrates in regular intervals to remeind you to move around. all in all a good tracker for a low price . it's has installed apps for running, swimming, walk, and biking both indor and outdor.
  • simonanderson73
    simonanderson73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - The Garmin looks like the sort of thing I'm after, as I do want it to track steps but also heart rate, calories etc etc - Cheers