I feel I am not losing the weight fast enough!!

Options
Hello Everybody,

Hey guys....I have lost 44 pounds in 6.5 months....but I feel I have come to a weight loss plateau and can't lose anymore :( I have 40 more pounds to lose!! I weigh myself every week, some weeks I will lose weight and other weeks I will not lose anything at all! Also when I eat stuff that is somewhat unhealthy I feel really bad for doing it and my stomach feels all bloated afterwards!! I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, do 60 mins of cardio and also strength training! I stick to a 1,300 calorie a day diet and no POP! Does anybody have any other suggestions?? Feel feel to comment and/or send me a friend request!!! :)

Thanks,
Melissa

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hello Everybody,

Hey guys....I have lost 44 pounds in 6.5 months....but I feel I have come to a weight loss plateau and can't lose anymore :( I have 40 more pounds to lose!! I weigh myself every week, some weeks I will lose weight and other weeks I will not lose anything at all! Also when I eat stuff that is somewhat unhealthy I feel really bad for doing it and my stomach feels all bloated afterwards!! I go to the gym 4-5 times a week, do 60 mins of cardio and also strength training! I stick to a 1,300 calorie a day diet and no POP! Does anybody have any other suggestions?? Feel feel to comment and/or send me a friend request!!! :)

Thanks,
    Melissa

keep in mind, the more weight you lose and once your body gets into a "comfortable" weight, then you need to re-evaluate your diet. Generally, you will need to increase your calories. Also, if you are going to the gym that muscle, I bet you should more than likely need to be around 1800 calories a day as you should be eating your exercise calories back. Also, to help get yourself out of a plateau, change up your workout routine.

Speaking of that, are you doing weight lifting as well as cardio? Al;so, if you can do me a favor, check out the link below. It should help you target where you should be in terms of caloric needs per day. It is actually fairly close to where you should be in terms of diet.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Time to start eating your exercices calories. Obviously, what worked before is not working anymore

Good luck
  • Kimmerz1
    Kimmerz1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary JUST for today and my suggestion for that would be adding Veggies to your meal and low-Sugar fruit such as apple's, berries, pears, peaches, plums, ect.. Another to add to weight loss is getting protein but not too much, Have you tried drinking tea? Green Tea is super good for you and it yummy as well. If I can help more let me know :)
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    a bit of tough love for you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/chanstriste13/view/really-people-it-makes-no-sense-98025

stay the course and stop stealing your own glory - you're doing wonderfully. best of luck to you!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Try eating completely new types of food. Try vietnamese, thai, japanese, indian. Give your body foods it has never seen before and force it to work a little to figure out what to do with them. A hot bowl of pho or a big cold noodle salad may wake up your digestive tract. If you always eat the same things, your body already knows exactly what to do with them. Wake your body up with some surprises. And some really tasty food.
    Sorry if this is rambling. I just took an ambien and i need to get off the computer.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    44 pounds in 6 months is pretty fast. Just keep what you are doing! It's not a race.
  • uberlaut
    uberlaut Posts: 44
    Options
    1300calories? And you're working out 5 days a week? AND you weigh around 180lbs??

You need to eat more. Your body thinks it is starving.

Edit: I weigh around 185, work out 4-5 days a week including both cardio and weights, and I average about 2000cal a day.

And for the record, I've lost over 125lbs, run a 5k...a half marathon...a 10 mile race...and am currently training for a full marathon.
  • PamelaRose88
    Options
    Im not one to give advice on what you should do to change your routine up (YET ;) ) But someone did give me some advice that I thought was great!! take pics of yourself from front, back and each side! Then on weeks where you may not lose ON THE SCALE you can look at the pics compared to where you were a few weeks before and see if there's a difference!
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You may want to up your calories. Every time I eat a little more or don't go to the gym, I suddenly see a weight loss of about a pound. Because of this, I always make sure I eat all of my calories, or try to.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    this may apply to you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

Now that you have lost a good deal of fat, and you have been working out building a good deal of muscle, probably 1300 calories is not enough to fuel your work outs. Many people don't take this seriously, especially people who have a great deal of weight to lose or have lost a great deal of weight but still have more to go.

They think, no way, I am not going to eat more, it will make me gain. Actually the opposite is true. Once you hit a healthy body fat percentage and become reasonably fit, your body will actually GAIN weight if you don't eat correctly.

I learned this just 2 months ago when I found MFP and the above thread. I've maintained a healthy 127 lbs. for all of my adult life with the exception of pregnancies, until I had a mystery gain about 15 mos ago. After eating minimum WW points for an entire year and not being able to lose it, I gained another 5 and was at my wit's end figuring it must be hormonal changes. What I didn't realize was that both gains corresponded with my adding new, strenuous workouts (4 hrs/week dance and a 35-mile/wk ride) without adding extra food. I didn't know! So I starved for a whole 15 mos while I held onto those extra 15 lbs.

Crazy!

Anyway, I am pleased to say that after learning this, tracking calories burned and then eating properly (all the exercise cals), I have now lost 13 of those 15 lbs. in just 2 mos.

To reiterate: eating 1200 cals/day caused me to gain 15 lbs. Now, eating anywhere from 1500-3000 cals/day (depending on the day's exercise) made me LOSE 13 lbs.

It's a beautiful thing.

blessings.
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey Girl, I agree with most of what everyone is saying on here. Give yourself time, this isn't a race. You are doing a great job. I also agree that mixing it up a bit will help ( which we talked about before lol). I also agree that if you are burning a lot of calories you need to adjust your cals to boot, or your body will think its starving. Love ya Chick! See ya soon..
  • goteamwilson
    goteamwilson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There could be a few number of factors here - check your water intake and your fiber intake. If you are under alot of stress or not sleeping well that could contribute to it as well.