Quit smoking, struggling to loose weight...

Options
it's been almost 7 weeks of non smoking...I'm desperately trying to get onto the fitness track.. I've put on 4 kilos but really need all in all to loose 20 kilos all together.. For the last few weeks ive been extremely good with the food but can't seem to budge any weight at all, i seemed to be able to loose weight easily when i smoked....starting to struggle mentally now I'm loosing my motivation... Any advice would be appreciated..

Replies

• Mi1dred
    Mi1dred Posts: 4
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting smoking and becoming a healthier person I am sure you will also success in reaching your goal weight. Best wishes
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    March 29th of this year I had my last cigarette. I am still faced with cravings (all psychological now instead of physiological) and it is a battle. One that I am proud to fight. There are times though when I lose my fight to food because of the cravings for a smokey treat.

Just remember that everyday is a new day. And this is an opportunity to not only better your life, but to extend it. And be more financially solvent as cigarettes are bloody expensive!

Good luck on your journey! It'll be hard, but I know you can do it!
  • TiffMax
    TiffMax Posts: 70
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking!! Dont be discouraged- the steps you are taking are invaluable and no scale can give you a true reflection of the great things youa re doing with your body. Not sure on the details of what you are currently at weight wise or food choices so only advise i can give is make sure you are eating plenty of live (raw) foods and getting excercize- nothing can replace excercizing.

Quitting smoking- as hard as it is- was much easier than the eating lifestyle change. Keep up the hard work!
  • glutenliz
    glutenliz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help, I only smoke 3 cigs a day now but am so paranoid of the weight I'll gain if I stop. I have other bad habits too so this may be a pretty minor fear for me, but it still registers as I can't seem to give it up altogether!!! I wish you the best of luck and ill be interested to hear what others say.
    Ok Im a bit of a lose. Ive got to refresh my page, I hit reply and now there are several replies. As to the person that suggested live raw food, my prob is I stock up on fresh stuff, forget its there and end up throwing it away threw away 4 tomatoes, a cucumber, and 5 peaches just today!
  • roxymax
    roxymax Posts: 8
    Options
    Thankyou all for your kind words, it's definatley tough quitting smoking and dieting at the same time... Mentally challenging also.. I currently weigh 89 and wish to be 70.. I'm only 5ft 2.. and they say I should be losing till I reach 62... However I have no desire to be skinny...just healthy... I want curves not bones...
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain man. I quit smoking in 2003 and I packed on the pounds big time. But I wasn't being too health conscious back then either.

It's going to be tough for the first few months after quitting smoking. Your body has to have time to adjust to your new lifestyle. Smoking does help prevent food cravings, and now without that mechanism, your body will have more cravings.

These WILL PASS, but you have to first train yourself two ways:

Psysiologically: Get your body used to a nutritious routine with foods that help curb appetite (high in fiber, lots of protein, low sugars)

Mentally: The hardest part of quitting is the lack of habitual putting something up to your mouth. Chewing gum, celery sticks, etc are all like "diets". They work for a little while, but are destined to fail, because they are not the same as cigarettes. It takes 30 days of consistent behavior modification to "break" an old habit, and another 30 days to "form" a new one. So these next 60 days are very important to help not only curb your craving to constantly have something going into your mouth, but to also re-train yourself into healthy habits.

It's tough, but it IS doable. You can do ANYTHING for 60 days. After that, both your body and mind should have adapted nicely to the new you that is beginning to form.

I hope that helps.
  • roxymax
    Options
    Thanks that definatley has given me some motivation... I like your idea of the 60 days sometimes when someone gives you a timeframe gives you something to work towards... Definatley need to stay focused.. I'm trying very hard..
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book?

I read that and quit 489 days ago! Didn't put any weight on, he promies you that you won't, and I haven't. It is every bit as easy as he claims and promises.
  • roxymax
    Options
    Hi there no I haven't but I'm going to now thanks for the post..
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to accept and embrace that giving up smoking is so beneficial to your health - with or without weightloss.

Hopefully your weightloss will follow... Just keep on the going - do not lose heart and do no go downt he route of thinkiing that smoking keeps you from eating less. Smoking is a vile habit and by stopping you are empowering yourself and liberating yourself!

I stopped smoking eleven weeks ago and touch wood I have managed to avoid any gain (I was very close to GW when I stopped though) however I cannot for love nor money shift those last pesky pounds.

Do you know what though - I'll happily stick at this weight and be a non smoker any day of the week!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It's an amazing book! It trully is!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book?

I read that and quit 489 days ago! Didn't put any weight on, he promies you that you won't, and I haven't. It is every bit as easy as he claims and promises.

Yep - this is how I stopped.

I read it in one day (despite having had the book in a drawer for years!!) and I stopped 11 weeks and one day ago.

I haven't gained a single pound and I have not missed being a smoker for a single second.

Allen Carr's book is the single most important book I have ever read in my life!
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    They say that the average smoker who quits puts on 3-4lbs when eating normally.

HOWEVER you are on here making the effort to eat healthily and change your lifestyle. Therefore you may not have lost weight, but you diet has prevented you from gaining. This is such good news!!!!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Keep going and after the first couple of months you will start to lose.

I am in exactly the same boat!!! I have cut down from 10-20 a day to socially smoking when I go out every few weeks. I feel your pain!!!

x
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip on the book, I am searching all the threads for stop smoking ideas!