Food Scale Recommendations?

Options
I'm looking to purchase a food scale and was overwhelmed with the different choices and range in prices. I'm looking for something that measures in oz and grams, has tearing capability, is accurate, doesn't break the bank, and relatively sleek.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced!

Replies

• DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Biggest-Loser-Digital-Food-Scale-6.6-lb.-Capacity/11090896
    This is the scale that I use. I think that it works great! I originally purchased it for weighing out small packages for the post office. I've never had any problems with it being inaccurate. Now that I use it for food, I appreciate that is has a removable top. It makes cleaning it much easier. I've had it for 5 years, use it all the time and only had to replace the battery a handful of times. I've never used another scale, so I can't really compare. But I really like this one~

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenmar-WCCR2032-Lenmar-WCCR2032-CR2032-Lithium-Coin-Battery/24547602
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Get the cheapest you can find. None of them will last a long time and they're all made with the same weight-sensing electronics so you're paying for the packaging, the shipping, and the rental of the warehouse space.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I love my OXO Good Grips 5 lb. scale with pull out display. You can do oz. or gm, it has a tare weight function. You can pick one up at Bed Bath and Beyond for $30. I've had mine for over 3 years, and not a bit of trouble with it. I use it a lot.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Go to your nearest Tarwalmeijersmart and look at the models they have. Pick one you like, they will all measure in oz and GM, and will all have a tare function.

You might want to double check the cheaper ones though. I got one a while back that had the oz/gm button on the bottom and it always started in gm, which was an annoyance. But it was just as accurate as the older scale it would have replaced.
  • fancyfaxon
    fancyfaxon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations!!
  • fancyfaxon
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Go to your nearest Tarwalmeijersmart

This made my day hahah!
  • Fujigala
    Fujigala Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would make sure that the area of the scale is large enough. Mine isn't that big and we have large plates. If I want to weigh something on the large plate, I can't see the display anymore..
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    SAHM144 wrote: »
    I would make sure that the area of the scale is large enough. Mine isn't that big and we have large plates. If I want to weigh something on the large plate, I can't see the display anymore..

This and make sure it takes normal AAA or AA batteries because I had one that took those button style ones that were a PITA to replace.

Also make sure the cut off function is long. Nothing worse than weighing multiple things and having the stupid scale cut off on you. :grumble:
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I got this nifty pocket-sized one for my purse. I haven't used it at a restaurant yet :# , but I use it at work to weigh my snacks.
    https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-ZIP600-Digital-Counting/dp/B00GTX3LAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493730003&sr=8-1&keywords=pocket+food+scale
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    I love my OXO Good Grips 5 lb. scale with pull out display. You can do oz. or gm, it has a tare weight function. You can pick one up at Bed Bath and Beyond for $30. I've had mine for over 3 years, and not a bit of trouble with it. I use it a lot.
    This is what I have as well; the pull out display comes in handy for weighing large platters, bowls, sheet pans, etc.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Chiming in for the OXO scale others have referred to. I think I have had mine for 10 years.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    After going through a couple of scales, I purchased the EatSmart Precision Pro Digital Kitchen Scale on Amazon based on the reviews and my positive experience with one of their bathroom scales. Their scales give consistent results. Price at present is 20USD.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Make sure it can weigh a fair bit. When building a meal, I'll often put the plate/bowl on it, add one item and record it, then tare it, add the next etc. So mine will do 10lbs. I don't remember the brand or model etc.
  • fancyfaxon
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Your input has been wicked helpful - Looking into the OXO scale as it seems to meet my needs to best.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I use the Ozeri from Amazon as well. I've had it for 4 years and it still works great. I use it every day. I don't think I've even needed to change the battery!
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It so happens that this past weekend I saw an equipment review on America's Test Kitchen on food scales. The high end rec was for a $60 OXO. The lower priced rec was for the Ozeri shown above. I have the OXO that only weighs to 5 lbs. and I need one that goes higher. I also have a Taylor scale that I bought at Walmart several years ago that is my everyday weigh food scale.

On the cheap OXO that I have, if I put a heavy bowl on it, tare it, then start adding food, it runs out of available poundage pretty quick because it still counts the weight of the bowl even though it is only displaying the food weight. The good thing is that it has a pull out display so when you are weighing something large you can still easily read it.

On the Taylor I don't have the available weight problem. The only issue with the Taylor is the weighing platform is not removable so cleaning is a bit of a pain. Of course if I'm paying attention to what I'm doing I put a small plate or bowl on it first, then tare.

Hope this helps in deciding what to look for in a scale.