Should I be bulking or cutting?

Options
ajm996
ajm996 Posts: 2 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
New to fitness, I am completely untrained and have almost no muscle mass. I'm currently 138 lbs and 5'11''. From looking at pictures I would guess I am around 16-18% bodyfat.
I've read on a guide that beginners should cut to 10-12%, maintain, then bulk to 15%, and repeat.
It sounds like I should be eating at a caloric deficit, but it feels wrong given how low my weight is for my age/height. Appreciate any tips or advice.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Recomp?
  • ajm996
    ajm996 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Recomp?

The guide I was referring to seems to be a more effective recomp diet, just longer periods of alternation instead of daily alternation.
    Source: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html/

Should I be starting with a traditional recomp diet?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    With those stats, you need more muscle. I would recomp or bulk.
  • mkarias1
    mkarias1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Read this article. https://legionathletics.com/how-many-calories-should-i-eat/

This guy (Mike Matthews) is the best. Read his book: Bigger, Leaner, Stronger before starting to workout.

Just be careful. I was 136lbs (5'9") last June when I first started working out and changing my diet. I was skinny fat (31.5" waist, not flat but not with a big belly) but went with bulking. I miscalculated my calorie requirements and increased my weight by 11lbs by Nov. Unfortunately, my waist also increased by 3". It took me a while to recalculate my TDEE and figure out what I need to cut. I reduced my waist by 2" so I need another 1". Once I reduce another 1" off my waist, I will then maintain (no bulk or cutting - stay at my TDEE) until late summer. Will cut a bit at end of summer and then bulk. Once I get to my target, I will cut again.

Basically, make sure you measure your waist (do it every day before breakfast then take an average for 4 days). Track that every month so that you do not increase your waist like I did. The link that I provided has a good calculator. Don't bulk by going more than 10% of your TDEE. Good luck.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine cutting at 5"11" and 138 lbs. How old are you? It would probably help if you posted a photo.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Well, do you want to get bigger or smaller?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Male at 138lbs and 5'11" - I wouldn't say losing weight would be at all appropriate for the vast majority of men.

"New to fitness, I am completely untrained" - get lifting on a decent program.
    The rest is just a distraction and you are over complicating.
    given how low my weight is for my age/height.
    How old are you?
    If young then that is a far greater primer for rapid muscle gain than what estimated BF% you are.
  • cbtebb
    cbtebb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend getting a bulk on first to gain some muscle mass, that also benefits as the more muscle mass you have the easier it will then be to cut down again. Just make sure either way you get plenty of protein in your diet to ensure you maintain any muscle growth, diet can make or break any bulking or cutting. Good luck bud
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Recomp then bulk. You will look extremely skinny if you diet down to 10%.