Weight Loss *REALLY* Isn't Linear - Some Evidence

Options
seantnash
seantnash Posts: 77 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have produced a little graph to provide evidence to support the statement weight loss isn't linear.

zkxbnmt3feio.png

I weigh myself every morning, at the same time in the same condition. The line represents my daily weight. Nowhere near a linear journey.

Apart from one odd day, I have always eaten less calories than I've burnt. Despite this, some mornings I've still gained weight. And trust me when I say I am meticulous with my food tracking.

So, whilst I weigh myself every day, I don't invest in the result emotionally. The only weigh-in that really counts is my weekly weigh-in on a Saturday.

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing- the body does weird stuff sometimes weight-wise. Remembering that weight loss isn't linear, and that measurements and other NSVs can measure success beyond the scale is important.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday in the same condition etc as well. Then, I take the average of those weights and consider that my "weight for the week". This helps to sort of downplay the fluctuations and give me a clearer idea of how much my weight is changing (or not) from week to week.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    This was the best lesson I learned. It's easy to see 1-2lbs ^ and feel like your hard work has been wasted. Glad you came to the same conclusion and kept at it. That is a beautiful downward trend :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yep, and usually even more un-linear (dis-linear? not linear?) if you are female.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It's definitely less linear if you are female. I've always tended to lose about every other week. It'll be no loss one week, -2 lbs the next, gain a couple ounces the next, lose 2 1/2 the next, etc.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have a similar chart going back to 2010.
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I know this is true, but sometimes I need a reminder and today was one of those days! I went back to crossfit last week and I've been up 3 lbs all week, which has been driving me crazy!! So thank you for posting this :)
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    In retrospect, it was a mistake to only record my weight lows, since I don't have this kind of demonstration to show off. I'll be moving to maintenance in a day or two if my new low holds up tomorrow morning, so it's too late now.

Eh. It's not the worst mistake I've made through all this.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    0lks2j7kgn4j.jpg
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the timely reminder, I needed that!
  • DenaManning
    DenaManning Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your charts, gals and guys. I am still somewhat new to this and felt like I worked really hard this week and the nsv shows a smaller waist line and more energy but the scale showed +3 lbs. I am just hoping it's muscle gain and next week will show more fat loss. Either way, I needed to see that I'm not nutso and I just gotta keep goin'!
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your charts, gals and guys. I am still somewhat new to this and felt like I worked really hard this week and the nsv shows a smaller waist line and more energy but the scale showed +3 lbs. I am just hoping it's muscle gain and next week will show more fat loss. Either way, I needed to see that I'm not nutso and I just gotta keep goin'!

Awesome job on getting more energy and a smaller waistline (woohoo!!).

I just want to clear something up for you that may help with your expectation going forward, since you say that you are new.

The +3 isn't muscle (sorry :/). It is VERY difficult to build muscle in a deficit, and 3 pounds in one week just isn't possible unless you're a freak of nature ( in a good way). What you're likely seeing is water weight from increased workouts. The cool thing is that IT WILL GO AWAY, and probably in just a few days :). As women, we get the brunt of the water weight bad news wagon. Not only do the normal things like excess sodium and new workouts cause it, but so does ovulation and menstruation. So, depending on where you are in your cycle, you could be seeing that, too. It's frustrating for sure - but it doesn't mean that you aren't losing fat!

Keep at it and don't get discouraged. A huge part of fat loss is just sticking to your plan, and having patience :).
  • lisawadeson
    lisawadeson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful and such and excellent reminder