What could I do differently?!

Options
I tried posting this earlier but it did not work.

So, I was excited about my weigh-in today. I wokeup and stepped on the scale and what a disappointment! I am up a full pound from last week. I ate well, worked out and went to bed early!

I am confused but will keep at it in hope of better results next week.

I am just curious as to what could have been done differently. What did you guys do to switch things up.

I signed up for boxing and can't wait to start.

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear and many body functions cause your weight to shift, even when eating well and working out. Keep logging accurately- it is only one week out of many to come. I would recommend taking measurements and progress pictures as well because sometimes our progress is not reflected in the scale.

Don't give up and good luck on your journey!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So, I was excited about my weigh-in today. I wokeup and stepped on the scale and what a disappointment! I am up a full pound from last week. I ate well, worked out and went to bed early!

I am just curious as to what could have been done differently. What did you guys do to switch things up.

stay consistent, be more patient...
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Keep trying and weighing in and give it a few weeks. If you're not losing fast enough, exercise more. Don't reduce calories overly much and end up torpedoing your metabolism (been there, done that)!
  • jobritsc
    jobritsc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Remember, the scale is only a small part of the process. Take measurements instead -- much more accurate for progress. Also, it's very possible you gained muscle! Remember muscle weighs more than fat.
    Water weight fluctuates as well. Don't look at it as a set back. You're doing great!
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options

I read somewhere that the body can fulxualte 1-3lbs a day so keep that in mind.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I actually find it less depressing to weigh in every morning. First thing, before breakfast and after peeing. This way I can see the ups and downs and can relate them back to what I ate or did the day prior. My weight can go up or down 2 lbs from one day to the next, but the trend is clearly down. My scale logs to Trendweight (and here, and Withings, and Garmin) automatically so I don't have a choice but to enter the weight, but it helps to see the ups and downs daily vs. just waiting until the week is up and seeing where I land.

I know I can stall for a couple of weeks and then drop 3 lbs in a day or two. I wouldn't know that without the daily weigh ins.

But I also know it doesn't work for everyone and you have to do what works best for your motivation.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Weigh in daily and use a trending app.

Take your measurements.

Take progress pictures.

Weigh your food to ensure you aren't over estimating. I guarantee you probably are.

Be patient.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There isn't much you can do differently. As others stated, weight loss isn't linear. If you had a meal heavy in sodium or carbs in recent days, if you increased your exercise, or if you're coming up to TOM your body will retain water that will mask any loss you had for the week. Be patient, and if it continues on for a couple more weeks then you'll need to make some changes to your logging.
  • jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    jobritsc wrote: »
    Remember, the scale is only a small part of the process. Take measurements instead -- much more accurate for progress. Also, it's very possible you gained muscle! Remember muscle weighs more than fat.
    Water weight fluctuates as well. Don't look at it as a set back. You're doing great!

It's pretty unlikely(read: impossible) for someone to gain a pound of muscle in one week. Most likely you're retaining water in your muscles. Honestly, I found weighing weekly to be extremely discouraging, so I started weighing in only on the first day of every month. I agree that the scale is only a small part of the process and only one metric of gauging progress. If you're being consistent, don't worry about the number on the scale. Just keep going and trust that you're moving in the right direction.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Our weight changes every day depending on water retention and food in our digestive track. It is not consistent. I am one of "those people" who weighs in daily, and I will share my chart with you. As you can see it spikes up and down and up and down, but there is an over all trend over the 90 days. If I just weighed in weekly I'd probably lose my mind.

TxLRafw.png

Any given morning I can wake up and be 3-4 lbs heavier but the trend is what's important.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As others have said, weight fluctuates based on water weight, hormones, if you've had a decent BM or not. As a woman I find its very helpful to get your track weight daily for a month and see when/if you are heavier due to your monthly cycle-for some its right before, for others it a couple weeks before during ovulation. And some months it might just be worse than other months. If you know where it falls for you you can not freak out if a weigh-in comes in higher because of hormones.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I track my weight daily. Some days I'll be down a pound then the next day up .5 pounds, stay at that exact weight for a few days, then I'll drop 2.5 pounds, etc etc. There's no rhyme or reason to the way your body loses weight. Try and focus on things you can control like what you put into your mouth and how much you move. You CAN lose the weight! KEEP GOING!!!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Did you pee and poo before getting on the scale? That makes a major difference for me.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Did you pee and poo before getting on the scale? That makes a major difference for me.

Great point in things you can do differently:

- Weigh yourself at the same time and conditions
    - - For me this means first thing in the morning after relieving myself
    - - Always using the same scale, in the same spot on the floor

This will make weigh ins more consistent, but realize you are still susceptible to daily fluctuations that can not be provided.
  • sabinaholtby
    sabinaholtby Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This exact thing happened to me this week! You can do it! Don't give up, don't eat half a bag of chocolate chips because you're upset, that's what I did.
  • Jolenepiche
    Jolenepiche Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No chocolate chips for me, instead I ate a full pizza! Just kidding, i sure felt like it but decided to clean instead!

Thanks for all the kind words and motivation :)

Jolene
  • Erik_ss
    Erik_ss Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Set realistic goals that you can accomplish. Stay consistent with what works for you. Don't give up. The way I lost my weight will be different than the way you will lose your weight.
  • Jolenepiche
    Jolenepiche Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. All I was saying is that when I put effort in something I come to expect results. Yesterday was a bit disappointing to say the least. Nothing is perfect and I will keep at it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I totally understand and agree with what you are saying. All I was saying is that when I put effort in something I come to expect results. Yesterday was a bit disappointing to say the least. Nothing is perfect and I will keep at it.

weight loss isn't linear... you can be perfect with your calories and exercise all week and not lose... because weight loss isn't linear...

be consistent and over the months you will get results. the time will pass anyway so you may as well be aiming for your goals as it does.