Fitbit Alta HR and Kettlebell Workout Calorie Burn

Options
vjambois
vjambois Posts: 39 Member
Hi all, I just got my Alta HR this morning and did a short KB workout; swings, deads, bridges, etc. My heart rate got to cardio (7 mins) and fat burning zones (11 mins) yet Fitbit estimated I burned 8 calories. I get that it measures steps but does it not take into account HR as well? Should I just enter it manually on MFP?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to say your heart got into a cutesy name? Can you post what the numbers were? What did it average for 7 minutes and for 11 minutes?

Anyway, Fitbits are programmed to estimate calories for step based activities, walking mainly. It has no clue about kettles, and its calorie guess for this is about as good as a role of the dice.
  • vjambois
    vjambois Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What does it mean to say your heart got into a cutesy name? Can you post what the numbers were? What did it average for 7 minutes and for 11 minutes?

Anyway, Fitbits are programmed to estimate calories for step based activities, walking mainly. It has no clue about kettles, and its calorie guess for this is about as good as a role of the dice.

The "cutesy" name is directly from FitBit, not like something I came up with. The HR Fitbits do estimate calorie burn, based on heart rate. I just found a FitBit group so I will ask there since it's possibly something wrong with my setup and I'd like to get an actual answer, not someone being snarky about the term I used.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'm not being snarky that you used a term, but Fitbit is giving you very non-standard and not at all useful terminology that makes it difficult for you to communicate your question. If you could post your actual HR during that period, somebody here might be able to give you a helpful answer.
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I use my Charge HR for my kettlebell workouts and don't have an issue. Usually with a 20 minute video I burn about 166 calories. You must have a setting not set correctly.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit blaze, log kettlercise workouts as weights or "workout". Works fine ofc heartrate.