Those who've been at this awhile... do you get sick if you cheat?

Options

Replies

• Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    dashawn02 wrote: »
    When was your first cheat meal after you start your diet

My first? Hmm I would say about 6 months after starting, I think if I would have had cheat days before then or early on, I would have given up completely. Now I'm trying to find a healthy balance so I don't go overboard again lol
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I don't get physically sick from junk food and going off my diet, so much as mentally sick :P (Guilt)
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love blizzards from Dairy Queen but I always feel blah after them, almost like a sugar rush. This is really strange but if I go out and drink quite a few drinks and eat a large amount of greasy food the next day I'm really puffy looking and everywhere on my body is sore to touch, I think it is a retaining water issue from to much sodium???
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Not so much as a cheat meal/day as I just eat what I like but, I do find that if I eat a few days of very high fat (not uncommon around new years as a lot of the common dutch new years celebration foods are deep fried) it goes straight through me. So I try and hit the right balance of enjoying myself without needing to run to the toilet too much, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    There aren't any specific foods that make me sick, but in the past sixty days of logging pretty tightly, I've had four days when I've seriously OVEReaten on calories, and THAT makes me feel sick, the way you described.

My brain doesn't enjoy feeling deprived/hungry (the way it sometimes gets when I can't eat whatever I want, like a spoiled child) but my body feels much better on a controlled-portion, reasonable, responsible diet.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Just eating unhealthier foods occassionally? Generally, no I don't get sick.

Working out after eating too much candy/pizza/chips/etc? I feel a bit sick TBH. I think that I feel better during my workouts if I eat nutritious foods- which for me is another plus because my body is keeping my accountable.

I agree with other posters about things tasting super sweet or super salty now that my palate is changing but I don't feel sick- I just don't enjoy eating those food types as much anymore.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Eggplant, certain squashes, some melons give me severe gastric pain. A lot of high fiber causes me to puff up in the abdominal area, as from a lot of veg, flax seeds, whole grain breads. Anything else only makes me feel uncomfortable if I overeat it.
    I did notice that when I tried to eat some meat after being vegetarian for many years it was like I had swallowed a rock and it took forever to it to be processed. Not doing that again.
    I hope you aren't limiting your diet in terms of variety then trying to eat those limited foods in abundance once in a while. I think that is a recipe for disaster. Look at allergy and overeating as culprits, then seek medical advice if you dont resolve it. imo
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Once I ate a butter tart from a local shop and it must have been 800 calories half of which were from butter and I felt like I had a little brick in my stomach for a couple hours lol. Okay fine it was 2. That would have made me feel off on any given day though lol
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yeah, it was definitely a thing for me in the past when I avoided highly processed foods.

It was an issue in the past for me too. Usually because the highly processed food I was avoiding usually contained a lot of fat. Whenever I would diet I would cut fat. If you cut your fat intake then have a high fat day, you may experience some stomach issues.
    The same goes for any big change in diet. People even experience issues when they suddenly add a lot of vegetables.

Now that I keep my fat intake higher, I don't have those issues anymore.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it was definitely a thing for me in the past when I avoided highly processed foods.

It was an issue in the past for me too. Usually because the highly processed food I was avoiding usually contained a lot of fat. Whenever I would diet I would cut fat. If you cut your fat intake then have a high fat day, you may experience some stomach issues.
    The same goes for any big change in diet. People even experience issues when they suddenly add a lot of vegetables.

Now that I keep my fat intake higher, I don't have those issues anymore.

Yep.

Happened to me when I was a teen and was put on a very, very low fat diet - it was for performance and not to lose weight, but that doesn't matter. When the competition was over and I tried to eat normal foods again I had awful gastrointestinal issues. I'm talking foods I had no trouble with before and were not particularly high fat. Most things I readjusted to in a couple of months. For some reason, steak in particular was a big problem for me. It was a couple of years before I could eat a single serving and not plan on a long restroom visit in the next 30min - but as I said, I was on a very restricted diet.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    This has happened to me, but as others have mentioned, it was with larger quantities of foods that I already knew were problematic for me- fried food & ice cream are at the top of that list. I can remember a couple of evenings spent in the bathroom earlier in my journey due to this. The good news is, I think between the healthier diet in general, and the fact that I just can't eat that much in one sitting anymore, it rarely happens now. I can go to our favorite Chinese restaurant and have a meal including a couple of egg rolls & a breaded, fried chicken dish with no problem. (This isn't a "cheat meal", BTW, just a meal like any other.) I doubt I could gorge myself or do it multiple times a month without problems, though.

Oh, and you mentioned some kind of cake... too much cake will do it to me too, especially if it is frosted. I think it's the fat content.
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't "cheat" I just have days where I eat/drink more than usual (on weekends or with friends usually) and I've noticed if I overdo it and eat really fatty foods, I feel awful, and once I got very sick (but that was a lot of alcohol too lol). My stomach can't handle all the calories/fat anymore!
  • zelya202
    zelya202 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Same here, feel awful if I overeat and also can't drink as much alcohol as I used to. My guess is that it always felt awful, but it was normal back then. The new normal is to feel good and the contrast is more drastic during overeating.
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I banked calories usually I do around 200 and make it for five days so I would have 1000 for weekends to eat sometimes I banked more if I know that there was occassions ahead. Just plan out dont make a binge is the key
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's not always about over eating tho...I don't overeat but still get belly issues...as I said McDonalds scares me to the point where I just wont as I am not sure how my body would react...mind you I want a quarter pounder with cheese like nobodies business but it's been long enough that I expect I wouldn't be "normal" and be in the bathroom a lot the next day...

son has same issues...sister etc...it could be a family thing too.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have gotten that way with any fast food - I think it's my body not being used to the grease in it. I am still able to eat candy because I never cut that out completely, but I stopped eating fast food for several months. I'm okay with that though because I don't really feel the urge to eat it either.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen for different reasons. If I've been on a very low fat diet for a while and then eat a significant quantity of fat, I'll be running for the bathroom since my body isn't used to fat.

When I did Body for Life, there was a cheat day each week. Those usually left me feeling just kind of miserable and sluggish, but bad enough that I learned after a couple of weeks that a modified cheat meal or one cheat item felt a whole lot better than attempting a day of it.

I've had a tendency to cook almost all my food at home and use very careful ingredients the past few years, so often these days just a normal, healthy restaurant meal can send me into digestive distress.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    You have to re-evaluate how you're looking at this. You can't look at this as a diet period diets suck your miserable they don't work and that's why people fail at diets. You have to look at this as a lifestyle change it's a learning process and you have to educate yourself on how your body works and react and what you can and can't do. Also remember that MyFitnessPal guidelines are just at their guidelines based on a large population density and everybody's going to vary.

Let me give you my perspective January first 2016 my weight was 288 pounds. My current weight is 208 pounds. I've been maintaining at 2:08 for the last 8 months. During that time I've been on vacation three timesperiod once during my weight loss face and twice during my maintenance phase. During my vacation. I ate whatever I wanted I drank whatever I want it there were days I probably drink my calorie limit alone.

iPad no regrets as far as overeating or binging it's just a mental attitude and I know how to do it I know the consequences I choose to do it because I'll be honest with you those three trips if I had to give them up I don't know if I could keep on maintaining and keep on doing this. As crazy as this sounds losing the 80 pounds was one of the easiest things I ever did. It wasn't a chore or anything like that I had fun doing it the same thing with maintenance
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    To be fair, I think a whole day of eating all sweets and fast food, including "tons of a cookie cake" would make anyone feel sick :neutral:

Perhaps your diet is too restrictive, causing you to go off the rails on a day when you allowed yourself a splurge. There is nothing wrong with having a fast food meal or a sweet dessert every once and awhile, so maybe if you changed your mindset you wouldn't see a day as a lost cause and go to extremes. I have treats throughout the week that I usually fit in under my goal and I have days every once in awhile that I decide to eat at maintenance or a bit over but I still try not to go overboard.

Anyway, I don't think the problem was "cheating", I think it was going overboard.

Exactly ^^that.
  • trynewthingsforever
    trynewthingsforever Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I get sick if I eat anything that I strictly cut out of my diet for more than a month or two. Milk? Yes. Cheese? Yes. Bread? Yes. Meat? Yes. Gas station danishes? Yes. Soda? Yes.

I don't assume these foods were bad, just that I seem to grow accustomed to their absence and reintroducing them annoys my belly.

That said, there are some foods I do better without as far as day to day energy levels, hunger, and mood are concerned. Such as those aforementioned gas station danishes.