Diet bet

Options
olkr
olkr Posts: 31 Member
Hei there

I just started my first diet bet.
Has anyone done it before? Anyone who shares their experience? (https://www.dietbet.com)

Thanks!

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple. Very motivating. Holding off for now because I'm slowing my loss a bit.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i don't like the idea of betting money with complete strangers to lose weight. i'd rather bet $ with co-workers. at least i know them and see them everyday.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I do it every now and then. I enjoy it. Don't expect to win a lot of money lol. I usually enter two or three of the $30 contests at one time and the winnings are usually double the initial bet, though one time the prize was only 50% of the buy in.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't work for me, I don't find weight loss competitive but then I've no interest in gambling full stop. If it's your nature maybe a good thing. I also would never win because my weight loss is in fits and starts due to how much natural fluctuation I have.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've done one. It doesn't work for me - I can't lose weight that quickly.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I'd rather compete over things I can control (workouts, steps) rather than things I can't (scale weight).
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    olkr wrote: »
    Hei there

Has anyone done it before? Anyone who shares their experience? (https://www.dietbet.com)

Thanks!

Yes! I love it. I have done 7 (I think) and found them really helpful. I won an office biggest loser game and wanted to keep it going. Was able to make $96 that I used to buy new clothesand lost 60lbs(of the 106lbs I've lost total). As I've gotten smaller, it's getting harder. Taking a break to focus on activity instead of getting to a specific weight. Definitely recommend it!
  • phillyhockeyfan
    phillyhockeyfan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started my first in January. I've done one a month since. I've won everyone one.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing my first one - I have .6 pounds to go in two weeks. It is kind of exciting! I am considering doing it monthly. It is motivating for me! But I know I'm in the beginning of my weight loss stage so the pounds come off easily at first. I might try one of the long term ones that last 6 months.
  • olkr
    olkr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I've done two kickstarters in the past (and won, but regained). Now I'm in a Transformer, and just finished Month 4. I've just barely made it every month, and have won (with a $25/month pay in and half that money going to the last payout): $12,60, $19.71, $24.85. This month is still finalizing.

Personally, I love it.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Last year I did a several Kickstarters (1 month - 4%) and one transformer (6 months - 10%), it was fun and motivating. I especially like taking other people money.

I probably saw a 40% return of money. I didn't lose money except body fat. I saved the money for a new wardrobe, but ended up spending the money on emergency repairs to my truck.

It does help if you have a good idea on how to lose weight in a healthy manner. You can be motivated all you want but if you struggle with your diet and/or exercise it's not worth it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    olkr wrote: »
    Hei there

Thanks!

I've never done Diet Bet - because by the time I heard about it I was pretty close to maintenance. I just finished/won my first 2 Step Bets though. And I'm thinking about doing the Maintenance Bet.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Never done it but it looks like a cool idea!
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Yes, I plan to get on a Maintenance Bet as soon as my Transformer is done. It will help keep me accountable. :)
  • misciej
    misciej Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just entered my FIRST! Starts today! I still have at minimum 25 pounds to lose. So as long as my mind stays on track I should be good for this month!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Some family members and I just finished what we called 10-10-10. Everyone puts in $10 and the goal is to lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks. Whoever loses 10 or more pounds gets to split the pot of money. We figured it was a decently short amount of time and a reasonable weight loss goal.

I missed out - I only lost 8.5 pounds! >:(
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do StickK.com -- it sounds similar.
    you make a commitment goal and put up $$ and if you don't succeed it goes to either someone you pick - or an ANTI-CHARITY .. it motivates me, I do a 15 day commitment, and then take a few days off and then do another one.
  • TaraDeNucci
    TaraDeNucci Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I created a $20 dietbet if anyone is interested in joining! http://dbet.me/Z29Qbs