Chest & triceps

Options
Any tips on getting a bigger upper chest ? And also triceps growth

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Lots of incline close grip benching. Two birds, one stone.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I do heavy nose busters and heavy seated DB tricep extensions with a horse shoe grip( helps keep elbows together). Tricep press down machine is better than dips to me. I started doing the hands together with seated press up one end off a loaded up barbell to get the upper chest going at the end of a chest routine. I tried steep incline DB presses but still don't feel the upper chest activating.
  • kennymoney300
    kennymoney300 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hit incline first at all times. Barbell, dumbbell , hammer strength and db flies.
    For tri's close grip bench is really good. try skull crushers as well.
  • tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm working on developing a bigger chest myself. My triceps are pretty sizeable though. I'd like to think so atleast.

I try to hit arms twice a week so I'll do chest and triceps in the beginning of the week and arm day near the end. I usually start with exercises that I do the heaviest lifting. So it's usually dips or skull crushers. With Skull crushers ill usually do a set and when I reach failure I'll go straight to close grip bench with the same weight (usually using an easy bar). Close grip bench on a straight bar is awkward for my wrists and I feel like it'll injure them.

Usually my third set will be triceps extensions with the rope. After about 3 sets of going heavy I'll switch to individual rope extentions with higher reps.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Bigger chest? I did a 50,40,30,20,10,10 rep scheme starting at 155 lbs adding 20 lbs each set, ending with 245 on flat bench. First set got the blood flowing big time. I've tried a AMRAP with 225 for 4 sets, not quite as good as the first routine. I alternate flat and incline to begin with. I go for maxes every 6 weeks. I've tried the 200 rep workout with 225 like CT Fletcher does. Totally fatigued but had a good pump.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Pullups, decline pushups and dips have worked well for me in developing my upper chest and triceps.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Low cable flys, incline press, neutral dumbell press and plate holds all work for me.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Okay, we'll all meet at the gym and try each others routine. Always wanted to do that.
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    can i come watch ;):D
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Join in..
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Lots of incline close grip benching. Two birds, one stone.

I've been enjoying these lately. With a barbell tho, dbells seems to hurt my elbows for some reason.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    We're talking extreme tris?
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to improve my tris for the last couple of months and I'm seeing some really nice progress. I start with cable pushdowns, close grip bench, overhead ticep extension with a curl bar, skull crushers, reverse grip tricep cable extension. been working well.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    Been working with a veteran bodybuilder since the fall. We've pushed each other pretty hard. Arms went from 18 3/4 to 19 1/2" cold. Mostly from triceps. The heavy skull crushers and heavy overhead triceps db extensions with a horseshoe grip to get the db lower behind the head to stretch the tricep. Horseshoe grip keeps elbows closer together. Palms up db extension won't let the db go low enough. Heavy gets you the size.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I never got very good range of motion with a dumbbell. when I switched to the curl bar I could really feel it. might be different body composition that makes it hit us different.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Incline bench work is my mainstay even today and I did (for size) a lot of volume. 4-6 sets per exercise. Did no declines and did more flyes on flat bench than actual benching. Triceps are a good body part for me and dips, overhead extensions and lying tricep extensions put on most of my size.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    evilokc wrote: »
    I never got very good range of motion with a dumbbell. when I switched to the curl bar I could really feel it. might be different body composition that makes it hit us different.

It's the grip on OH tricep extensions. Plus I flex the muscle I'm using.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Been working with a veteran bodybuilder since the fall. We've pushed each other pretty hard. Arms went from 18 3/4 to 19 1/2" cold. Mostly from triceps. The heavy skull crushers and heavy overhead triceps db extensions with a horseshoe grip to get the db lower behind the head to stretch the tricep. Horseshoe grip keeps elbows closer together. Palms up db extension won't let the db go low enough. Heavy gets you the size.

Yeah, finding a training partner like that is a magical thing I tell ya. It can product a wonder of results due to intensity increase and forced reps / training through failure!

I recently started training with someone myself and my Gainz have already progressed considerably.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I don't see anyone doing negatives or forced reps or assisted anymore.