Any home Spinners out there??

Options
Hi!

I recently bought my own Spin bike (NOT a Peleton, too $$$) & am looking for others who cycle, whether indoor or out. I also have a Diamondback hybrid that is ready to go, just waiting for the New England weather to cooperate... I am interested in sharing workout music playlists motivational thoughts & ideas, & tips on cycling.

Looking forward to meeting you! Feel free to add me :)

-Tina

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I ride my bicycle on a trainer once in a while during the worst weather of winter.

I do "commercial intervals" where I ride easy during the 30 or 60 minute program I'm watching, and then ride as hard as I can during each commercial break.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I use my trainer when I have time constraints or it's raining outside. I usually watch a movie or a TV show. If I'm at the gym using the spin bikes then I like my music. Examples are Disturbed, Volbeat, Pop, fast beat country. I like all kinds of music :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I have a bike trainer that my tri/road bike hooks up too - mostly because I've been known to train at really odd hours of the day (to include 2am before a long work day).

I use trainerroad for structured sessions and then just watch TV for an easy spin and mix it up with periods of high cadence or big gear
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have a spin bike at home. I bought an ipad mount and watch some films/TV on it to pass the time.
  • TinaSpinQueen
    TinaSpinQueen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yes I typically watch a Netflix show while walking on treadmill, never tried it on the bike. Good idea to pedal regular during the show, then amp it up during commercials. Though does pose a problem with Netflix & no commercials!

Weather is a factor for me personally, I'm kinda klutzy & would probably fall off my bike in the rain, & I get cold easily--whimp. I never mind the heat, so long as I'm well hydrated :) Bring on summer!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a keiser m3 which is a great bike. I have purchased some commercial spin workouts. Sufferfest do some good ones. There are some free ones on YouTube as well. You could purchase an interval timer such as gymboss and set up an interval such as 2 mins slow, 1 min fast and then use the vibrate alerts whilst watching a movie to get a good workout.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I ride my bicycle on a trainer once in a while during the worst weather of winter.

I do "commercial intervals" where I ride easy during the 30 or 60 minute program I'm watching, and then ride as hard as I can during each commercial break.

I have a trainer and do the exact same thing!
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a Spinner NXT and some of the Spinning Series DVDS. I ride 2 to 3 times each week and love it.
  • SaraMatthews239
    SaraMatthews239 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi .i spin at home as well..i never been a cyclist but after having 3 kids this helped me get back in shape.I have a ton of Dvds i do i ordered off of Spinning.com.Pretty intense ..I do love it.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Any recommendation for a good home trainer? I've been looking into them but have no idea what's a good quality or brand
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a road bike and an indoor trainer...I use the trainer primarily in the winter because I'm not generally willing to go out if it's below about 40* or if it's snowing or raining...in the spring we can also get some nasty winds here that sustain at 20-30 MPH and gust to 60 with sand storms, so I'm not riding in that either.

When I use my trainer I typically do GCN workouts on YouTube. I prefer to be outside, so that's where I am most of the time...I don't listen to music when I'm road riding as some of my rides are actually on the road or in bike lanes on the road and I'm listening for traffic.
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    When I used a spin bike I invested in DVDs from Spinning. I am on rollers now and use mix up playlists or watch TV as the workouts on DVD don't translate well to my road bike. I still have about 16 of the Spinning DVDs laying around somewhere, they were very motivating.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I only ride outdoors. I got a set of rollers years ago, but I couldn't take the boredom of riding inside. I moved them out near the garden and it was a little better, but I still felt too much like a hamster on a wheel.

Outdoors, I dress for the weather and the type of ride I'm going to do.
  • latoit
    latoit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine does spin at home, and she downloaded the Peloton app and uses that. She doesn't have the bike because of $$, but she said you can still get the app.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I setup one of my bikes on an indoor trainer to make it into a stationary bike for the winter. I have a few workout DVD specific for training... but sometimes I just zone out and spin during a movie or soccer game.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    hesfeld wrote: »
    Any recommendation for a good home trainer? I've been looking into them but have no idea what's a good quality or brand

Do you have any bike shops near you? Like, real bicycles stores, not generic department stores that also sell bikes. If so, go check out what they have... that'll be a good start.

Around here, CycleOps is pretty much the standard brand, but they have different models depending on what you want and what your budget is. Wahoo is another good one. Tacx makes some nice stuff, but I think their claim to fame is more the connected aspect, not the actual trainer hardware. Kinetic and Blackburn make some decent entry level trainers.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Check out StudioSweat ondemand awesome spin workouts
  • trichardson012
    trichardson012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also run a drop bar bike on a trainer indoors. I use Trainerroad for structured workouts and just watch Netflix while working out. While I prefer to ride outdoors I simply can't find the time anymore. Luckily the trainer in the house is working well so far.

I have a Tacx Vortex Smart which works well me so far. I'm only been on it for a month but so far it has serious potential.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have a spin bike that I have had for about 6 years now, I really need to replace it. Any good ideas on a moderately priced spin bike? I also have a treadmill and elliptical and love watching my shows while getting my cardio in. I should take my cardio outside but with two toddlers that can be hard to do unless I put them in the jogging stroller which I don't like as much.