What ways do you secure your long hair when you exercise?

Options
tabbyxxcat
tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm not necessarily asking because it gets in the way, but because it makes my head hurt! I wear my hair down at all times when not exercising, but when I'm jogging or doing weights I have it up, and I get headaches due to the pull. I constantly pause between reps to take my hair out of the ponytail and give my scalp a quick rub, then put it back up.
Has anyone else found a good trick/tool that keeps their hair from weighing down their head? My hair is the longest it's ever been and I LOVE it, except at this one point during the day!!!

Replies

• MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I usually put my hair in a bun. A loose ponytail paired up with a sweatband should work. Good luck! :)
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    a loose french braid
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    When I wear the very dated yet still effective jumbo scrunchie I find that my head hurts less from an updo.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Could you braid it? That way it won't pull the same way but it will stay in one place. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Haha. Believe it or not I bring extra hair ties in my gym bag because many times I have female clients that forget theirs.
    Ponytail usually works unless hair is really long.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have fairly thick hair and had to have it thinned due to the weight. That being said, I side braid it or ponytail it.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Headbands are even worse (for me anyway). I wind up putting it in a low ponytail, a high one gets loose quicker and pulls too much if I make it tight enough to not get loose. I usually just deal with the annoyance of fixing it when it gets loose-rather than getting a migraine. It's annoying. Anything tight enough to stay up gives me a headache. Ugly low ponytail it is :)
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My hairs waist length. I ponytail it, and then braid it before I run. If it's raining, I add a hat. If it's super hot, I add a bondi band. Those suckers don't MOVE!
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I use a dozen bobby pins (j/k, not quite that many) and secure in a low bun at the nape of my neck. My hair is long, but not super heavy, so it holds through tough cardio. It doesn't work if the bun is any higher.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I braid my hair loosely in the back. I don't have bangs so the front is long enough to add to the braid. Some of it comes out sometimes and after a really strenuous workout I've had to rebraid but it works great for me. It's also less damaging than a too tight poneytail.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I had a cheerleader with long, thick hair. She could only do braids and low ponies because of the weight.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have a scar that runs the length of my scalp from a bad car accident several years ago, and since acquiring this scar, ponytails give me headaches too :/ I find frenchbraids to be more comfortable-- either one relatively loose braid or two slightly tighter "pigtail" braids.

I also find that putting the top portion in a ponytail, and then the mid portion in a separate ponytail and then the bottom in a third ponytail (see picture) that I have less pain, I think because the weight of my hair is more evenly distributed, and none of the hair is being pulled really high up or far back or whatever.

3uggjenjgzyk.png
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a scar that runs the length of my scalp from a bad car accident several years ago, and since acquiring this scar, ponytails give me headaches too :/ I find frenchbraids to be more comfortable-- either one relatively loose braid or two slightly tighter "pigtail" braids.

I also find that putting the top portion in a ponytail, and then the mid portion in a separate ponytail and then the bottom in a third ponytail (see picture) that I have less pain, I think because the weight of my hair is more evenly distributed, and none of the hair is being pulled really high up or far back or whatever.

3uggjenjgzyk.png

Sectioned pony is how my cheerleader mostly did her hair. It was the only way to get her bow on top of her head. :D
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I had long hair a loose French braid was the best way for me, sometimes with a few additional hair ties in different places to keep it secure.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Putting my hair up madness my hair break like crazy. I have to wear french braids to workout.
  • NEMom80
    NEMom80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    When I wear the very dated yet still effective jumbo scrunchie I find that my head hurts less from an updo.

I love my scrunchies!

• Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Up in a bun. Ponytails and braids still get in my way. My hair is to my waist so even a French braid is long enough to get caught on something.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    French braid will keep it from pulling on your scalp, especially if it is a bit loose. If it gets in the way/could be dangerous, then I'd put the braid into a low bun.
  • lovefriesam
    lovefriesam Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I chopped mine off because all my hair weight was too much for me. I took it extreme, but feel better now.
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I put mine in a side-braid, secured at the nape and bottom of braid. Not super tight. Works for me. I get bad headaches too from a lot of styles, it's the worst.