American slang 'Have you popped your cherry'' Funny!

Options
On Saturday i was watching Transformers 2 and heard this American slang 'Have you popped your cherry'' Funny!' .I found it pretty cheesy way to say if you've lost your virginity.New for British English Speakers.

Replies

• meowy12
    meowy12 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I knew about that one. I think its fairly distasteful.
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Nah, heard that one years ago. Perhaps it hasn't reached as far west as Bris'ol though. If you want a laugh out of the americans on here, give them some bris'ol speak.

"Where you to?", "Cheers Drive!" and "Alright my luvver?" comes to mind... ;-)
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    As an American, I am offended!

Oh wait, we're really not offended by anything.

Eh, I take it back.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    What do you call a virgin in the bathtub.... a cherry float! :laugh:
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    hahaha my fave brit saying is..innit! as in "its great innit"
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I'm English and I've known the popped your cherry saying for years, since I was a teen and I know it as doing anything for the first time.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    haw haw 'where to she now?' Gaving & Stacey!!

But the ole cherry popping thing was the saying when I was at school in the 80's Bit of a naff saying me thinks.

'are you ****ting me?- is my current fave.
  • Majbdrake
    Majbdrake Posts: 69
    Options
    America and England...A common culture divided by a common language.

A few examples from my portion of the United States call Northern Maine in New England.

"Upon awp a canne a beah four ma!"
    "Open up a can of beer for me"

"Oh, that's a wicked good set of lights.."
    'She is well endowed in the chest region..."

And I am sure the English have their own regional dialects other than the well-known and poorly imitated Cockney dialect of London.

Never cared for the original post's comments though.

Bruce
  • phinners
    Options

A few examples from my portion of the United States call Northern Maine in New England.

And I am sure the English have their own regional dialects other than the well-known and poorly imitated Cockney dialect of London.

Bruce
    I havent heard any of those sayings. I must be in the wrong bit of England :)
  • lustyrusty
    lustyrusty Posts: 46
    Options
    I once asked a tutor at Uni if his wife had been riding him too hard cause where I'm from it means to give some one a hard time. Unfortunately where he was from it meant to have sex!
  • phinners
    Options
    I once asked a tutor at Uni if his wife had been riding him too hard cause where I'm from it means to give some one a hard time. Unfortunately where he was from it meant to have sex!
    *s*******

ffs I type 'sni1gger'. As in to chuckle and the censorship thought I was wanting to type the N word.

I shall try again.

*sn1gger*
  • tasman11
    tasman11 Posts: 79
    Options
    Nah, heard that one years ago. Perhaps it hasn't reached as far west as Bris'ol though. If you want a laugh out of the americans on here, give them some bris'ol speak.

"Where you to?", "Cheers Drive!" and "Alright my luvver?" comes to mind... ;-)

Haha man your so right! Did u reside in Bristol? I have to say Bristol does have a strong accent and phrases. In Brizzle the letter 'T' is silent .Compu'er,wa'er. Actually people from outside Bristol to tend to find the accent hard to digest. The accent is also getting destroyed by the huge number of CHAV'S here!
  • tasman11
    Options
    Hahaha .How could 'riding someone' mean something else.
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I ALSO LOVE NAFF AND MINGER... oh how I wish I was english, my partner dated a scot for ages so he has a few of those sayings still

I also love using the word tosser and wankered (going out and getting very drunked e.g he was wankered last night)
  • tasman11
    Options
    Some slang from Bristol-

Mint in it! - it's good, isn't it?
    Cheers Mate/driver-Thanks driver
    'Where you to' -Where about's are you going.
    "u alrigh?"

Oh and over use of word 'Lush!'
  • MoonShadow_1au
    MoonShadow_1au Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I ALSO LOVE NAFF AND MINGER... oh how I wish I was english, my partner dated a scot for ages so he has a few of those sayings still

I also love using the word tosser and wankered (going out and getting very drunked e.g he was wankered last night)

And I thought Minge was where you wore a merkin !!

English must be the worst language ;)

The internet is not much better. I always thought FTW was F&*K The Wench until it was explained to me.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Hahaha .How could 'riding someone' mean something else.

lol There is a phrase here: Rode hard and put away wet. I think it's original term was meant for horses but it's been used here to explain a very hot and heavy s*xual encounter.

The pop the cherry thing always kind of grossed me out and made it difficult for me to enjoy cherry pie. :laugh:
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Bruce
    I havent heard any of those sayings. I must be in the wrong bit of England :)

I think he was saying that those are phrases that people in Maine say. "wicked good" is definitely a term from Maine.
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    using wicked to describe things is just a plan old New england thing! I'm from mass and its used ALL the time haha!
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    On Saturday i was watching Transformers 2 and heard this American slang 'Have you popped your cherry'' Funny!' .I found it pretty cheesy way to say if you've lost your virginity.New for British English Speakers.

No it's not - it's been an expression here for years, although we usually say 'lost' rather than popped