Extremely High Lean Body Mass But ...

seantnash
seantnash Posts: 77 Member
edited May 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
My current lean body mass is around 220 pounds. I weigh around 380 pounds. My current lean body mass alone is above the maximum healthy weight of 189 pounds for my height.

So, if I'm able to reach my healthy weight, then obviously some of that lean body mass needs to go. Will this just happen naturally? I'm not actually currently doing any form of weight training so it's all natural lean body mass (probably from carting around 484 pounds daily at my heaviest).

The thing that confuses me about is, even though I've lost around 35 pounds now since checking lean body mass, my lean body mass has actually increased slightly.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    It's NOT increased in mass, but by percentage to your body's composition.

As you lose weight, you'll also lose some muscle mass. But I'm betting you're not talking SKELETAL muscle mass but overall lean mass and that includes organs.

Just lose the weight. You can reassess once you get down your body fat percentage under 20%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • seantnash
    No, the reading I get gives me the mass as a weight not a percentage so yes, it has increased in both mass and percent.

I'm not hung up about it I was just trying to understand how it actually works.
  • seantnash
    edited May 2017
    Oh and yes it's lean body mass (without the bone mass as I get that as a separate measure). But, even so, 220 pounds of any type of mass is still higher than my healthy weight and I don't plan on donating any organs :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Are you exercising? I thought you said you weren't. You CAN'T gain muscle if you're not doing anything to encourage it.
    If it's about the "readings", then what is the source of information? Bio impedence? Bod Pod? Dexa scan?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • seantnash
    edited May 2017
    Well I'm doing Zumba so there is some exercise - I just meant I'm not lifting weights and the like. Also carrying around 380 pounds of body isn't exactly light work. But it's only increased by a couple of pounds rather than 50 pounds.

And it's dual frequency BIA. Yes yes I know it's not going to be a perfect measure so I use it for the general trend and not taking it as gospel. But it does give me consistent readings. I would have just expected a bit more of a downward change after losing 35 pounds. Perhaps I'm just wrong.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Is the 220 lbs really muscle mass or lean body mass?
  • seantnash
    edited May 2017
    It's lean body mass (minus my bone mass). Have edited my post accordingly. Apologies.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Lean body mass is not the same as muscle mass. LBM includes everything other than fat, for example water.
  • seantnash
    Ah that's made it click in my brain now. Thank you very much :) I think what confused me is the scales call it "muscle mass". The penny has well and truly dropped now. Awesome.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    You might want to look into a structured lifts regimen like all pro beginner or strong lifts...
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    The measurement system you're using isn't accurate enough to reach the conclusion that you've actually gained lean body mass. A couple pounds could be an error for any number of reasons.

At 90lbs overweight, I would just focus on losing the weight and retaining as much muscle as you can during the process. BMI is a pretty flawed system so you may end up with your healthy weight being a bit higher than what is suggested by BMI if you do have a higher amount of lean mass. It's too early for you to worry about these details though. Lose 60-70lbs and then reassess. Remember, it doesn't really matter what the scale says at the end as long as you're healthy and happy with the way you look. Don't get bogged down by the metrics.
  • seantnash
    Oh I'm definitely not getting bogged down by it. It was just something that intrigued me and got me thinking that's all.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    i know you have a goal weight but I wouldn't get hung up on that now. if your up in the 380s two hundred anything will feel good. congrats on the weight loss.
  • Daddy78230
    Daddy78230 Posts: 125 Member
    If you have a lot of weight to lose than you hope you lose some LBM, particularly the extra skin.

Think of those big guys that lose 100 + pounds quickly on those reality tv shows, then have 20+ pounds of extra skin surgically removed. That's LBM being surgically removed.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited May 2017
    You do not have an extremely high LBM.

Assuming that your LBM calculation is correct, you have an extremely high level BF% - it's at 42% (380-220=160/380).

A "healthy" average level of BF for men is considered to be around 20% -- 1/2 of your current level -- and, when you lose weight, you lose both BF and LBM.

So, if your initial goal is to lose 100# and to get to 35% BF, your weight would be 280 with 182# of LBM and 98# of BF or a loss of 38# of LBM and 62# of BF.

And, if you want to get down to 200# at 20% BF, you'd be at 160# LBM and 40# BF -- 60# less LBM and 120# less BF than you have now.

It's all relative.