New York Trip, keeping on track?

Options
Any tips on how to stay on track while on a trip?

Replies

• JLASilver
    JLASilver Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Is it Nyc? If it's NYC you can walk all over the darn place. It's easy to get 20,000+ step in just site seeing. Every chain in NY is required to post calorie counts so it's simple if you grab that AM coffee from Starbucks to make good choices. But try local restaurant and walk it all off. You'll be golden.
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest filling your normal meals, whether bfast, lunch, dinner, whatever, with food you're interested in and expect to enjoy. Avoid all-day eating "just because" it's vacation. You want to actually experience the food, not just stuff yourself.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just got back and did lots of appetizer sharing and split entrees. You get to enjoy the fun and try new restaurants at half the calories. Keep some protein bars in your shoulder bag for emergencies, so you can avoid the food carts. We rented bikes near Central Park and it was the highlight. Enjoy it!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC. The food is insane. I'd suggest not "going all out" for every meal. Before hand, if there are a couple bakeries you want to try, I'd pick the day you are going to do that...then plan for a lighter lunch/salad and reasonable dinner. A few nights pick dinner spots you want to try, and go lighter on breakfast and lunch. Walk a lot...work out in your hotel if there is a gym. Enjoy yourself. I live here and I struggle....
  • bbell1985
    Options
    plus food carts aren't worth it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Set your diary to maintain your weight and enjoy yourself a little more.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Don't splurge on every meal each day. Decide on one do it someplace unique to NYC so it's special (I.e. not McDonald's). Other meals sticl to plan. Try grocery stores that have hot bars, like a Whole Foods. Those usually have good options at reasonable costs.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Don't splurge on every meal each day. Decide on one do it someplace unique to NYC so it's special (I.e. not McDonald's). Other meals sticl to plan. Try grocery stores that have hot bars, like a Whole Foods. Those usually have good options at reasonable costs.

You can pack in the calories at Whole Foods salad bar if you don't stick to the dry stuff lol. But yeah...I go to the grocery store like 3x per day. Makes it easy to stay on track.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Stay away from anything Times Square.
  • bbell1985
    Options

Because it's gross, overpriced, and not interesting.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Because it's gross, overpriced, and not interesting.

Yup.
  • tsortsor
    tsortsor Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I would just enjoy nyc. Best place ever
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Go to Uncle Boons in Nolita and have a nice full branzino and sweet breads.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I do NYC every year for 4-5 days- walk everywhere - 12000-24000 steps per day. Use stairs not escalators - cIimbed over 50 flights one day. Eat a [make it myself] small cereal and fruit breakfast. Eat lunch and dinner at restaurants - small lunch with no desert - full dinner - but minimize bread. I'm on a low carb ketogenic normally, in NYC I ignore that and don't log anything. Typically put on 5lbs - when I come back - I go back to my standard eating and loose the extra within a week.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note, a few NYC chain restaurants will add a tip to your bill, it's a line on the register receipt. Be aware or you could end up double tipping. Happened to me at OLIVE GARDEN in Times Square.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

But they have Junior's at Times Square...

For me - walk everywhere. I end up walking 12 miles every time I go there alone. Look up restaurants on Yelp or Zagat and pick things you don't get to eat often (I always hit the French bakeries or restaurants when I go there as we can't find a decent one here).

The idea of eating at a chain restaurant in NYC makes me incredibly sad though.
  • fitin50s2
    fitin50s2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You're in NYC. There's no good reason to eat a meal at any chain. Walking a million steps a day is not uncommon if you avoid the cabs / buses / subway... within reason of course...

If you run, bring your shoes and run through Central Park.
  • JLASilver
    JLASilver Posts: 22 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    fitin50s2 wrote: »
    You're in NYC. There's no good reason to eat a meal at any chain. Walking a million steps a day is not uncommon if you avoid the cabs / buses / subway... within reason of course...

If you run, bring your shoes and run through Central Park.

I lived in Manhattan for 12 years and now I commute into the city every day for work. There are some excellent local chains (small and large). Chain doesn't have to just be synonymous with Applebee's. If OP hasn't had a burger at shake shack, lamb dumplings at Xi'an Famous Foods, or a Spanish latte at Think Coffee please do! A few of these a small chains (may have fewer then 10 restaurants and do not have to provode calorie counts). I still stop at Starbucks often because of the proximity to my office. Eat/drink what you love, just make informed choices.

Edit: I would like to add: there are a lot of tourist trap non-chains too.. Avoid Little Italy. Nothing on that street is worth the price or the calories. Feel free to message me for recommendations.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was born in NYC and have since moved onto the Island but I'm still in the city regularly. I usually eat at "Maria Pia" if I'm going to a show.

I do go to chain restaurants occasionally, they are the ones with the calorie counts on the menus. I was meeting someone at OLIVE GARDEN in Times Square, it's easy to find, and ordered a beer when I paid for it I tipped the bartender when I looked at the receipt I noticed that the tip was already on the receipt. So the bartender got a $5 tip for a beer.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

But they have Junior's at Times Square...

For me - walk everywhere. I end up walking 12 miles every time I go there alone. Look up restaurants on Yelp or Zagat and pick things you don't get to eat often (I always hit the French bakeries or restaurants when I go there as we can't find a decent one here).

The idea of eating at a chain restaurant in NYC makes me incredibly sad though.

The real Junior's is in downtown Brooklyn.