Weightloss and Muscle Growth Question

Options
gakarl
gakarl Posts: 4 Member
So I started doing cardio about a month ago every day. Started doing 30min 5-6 days a week on the elliptical. Now up to 45min a day. Watch my diet closely, high protein and stay away from carbs for the most part except for maybe 1 or 2 cheat meals a week. Eating between 1200-1500 calories a day, that 1200 to 1500 is after what myfitnesspal subtracts from my exercising daily. I feel like I am on the right track.

I went from 186-172lbs. I am 6' tall and 44yo. Fairly thin body frame except for that belly gut that has gone down significantly with the weight loss over the last month. I am at a point where I feel I need to start using doing some weight training since I feel like I am losing muscle and want to beef up a little and get toned but still keep working on losing the belly fat. I have access to a gym at my apartment but not a lot of options for free weights and other machines. Been thinking about joining a local gym membership or the ymca around the corner to add more options to my workout especially with lifting weights.

My main question is are suggested work out plans for strength training & weight loss at the same time. I do not want to spend money on personal trainer right now as its a expense I can not afford. But I am willing to read and educate myself. From what I have read as well building muscle burns fat post workout where cardio on burns during workout. So its a balanced combination.

Also how do I know what weight to start with?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Follow any of the proven strength programs mentioned here every day, like Stronglifts, NROL, Starting Strength, etc. They explain what weight to use, and all the other little details you need to know.

Btw, 1500 calories isn't enough for you. Eat at maintenance or slightly below. :+1:
  • gakarl
    gakarl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, yeah I have been pushing myself to get in at least 1500 toward the tail end as I learned more. Will do some searches on the programs you mentioned. Appreciate the input!
  • rabbidchicken
    rabbidchicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle you are going to need a surplus of calories as well as the resistance training. Doesnt have to be alot try an extra 100-150 calories over maintenance per day while lifting for a couple weeks and see how you feel/look and adjust from there.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Eat closer to maintenance! Eating that low won't help you build much of anything...I lost body fat (but no weight) eating just slightly below maintenance (like -100 calories.) It's been a slow process, but it's working. B)
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    At your height/weight you can probably eat 2000/2100 calories, still lose fat and add strength. Great weight loss but based on your deficit and lack of resistance training you probably loss muscle unnecessarily. Goggle AllPro's Beginners routine it was designed to be run on a deficit.
  • RelativeChaos00
    RelativeChaos00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Check out Bodybuilding.com for some solid workout plans and articles on nutrition, weight loss, and building muscle. Some will work without a gym, most won't though.

1200 is definitely not enough calories for your size. I don't know if I can link to outside sites (I'll try) to link you a calculator with a good equation for estimating calories. If not, search for a Miflin St. Jeor calculator, input your numbers and shoot for that. This is the calculation they teach us in school, I'm studying to be a dietitian, because it is the most accurate. From what I input, if you are only lightly active 1-3 days per week, you still need about 1850 calories per day to lose 1 lbs per week. You will lose muscle and eventually plateau if you consistently eat too little. I love the bodybuilding site for education, there is a lot of good info there!

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=44&csex=m&cheightfeet=6&cheightinch=0&cpound=172&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cactivity=1.375&printit=0&x=71&y=11
  • Tonkajoe
    Tonkajoe Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    SQUATS, using as heavy a weight as you can tolerate for about 8 reps x 4 or so sets. Do at least a warm up set first - no weight just the full movement. Leg day should be your #1 day of the week - the day you w/o the hardest. Try as much as possible to do full - butt to the floor and back up again and then if you can add at the top - all the way up to a calf raise. (all in the same movement) The more you work compound muscle groups - the more your body will respond with muscle growth overall. (http://www.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/squats-deadlifts-and-release-of-testosterone-and-growth-hormone/) After leg day you can do chest or shoulders, back, etc in any order you want. Again the more compound exercises you do the more your body will respond as opposed to say preacher curls.

Maybe aim for 1lb growth a month for your calorie adjustment. So when you finish your MFP entry for the day - when it says you'll weigh X in 5 weeks you should be +1.25 lbs. Try to get in 1.25g per pound protein - everyday. So for you thats ~200g protien.

If you don't have access to a gym find something heavy you can lift up - like a beer keg LOL!

good luck!
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm also 44 and started weight training last September. For the first time in my life, I see muscles in my arms! I love bodybuilding.com site. They offer lifting and eating plans. What I like is they show quick tutorial videos for each workout AND they will offer alternatives if you don't have access to certain equipment. You can also search a targeted-body part and then narrow down your search by selecting equip type, compound or isolation. I based my workout off of the 12-week Livefit Trainer Transformation Plan (free). Good luck to you and have fun!