Cheating

Options
What are some ways you guys keep on track with only eating what you've planned and not "cheating".
I don't do it very often but it seems that if I do I make a day out of it

Replies

• MrsSeager
    MrsSeager Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If I am over my calories one day, I'll cut calories the rest of the week so my end of week deficit is where it needs to be to reach my goal.
    Or, just don't sweat it and get back on track the next day :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don't keep cheat food in the house. I buy what I plan to eat so there are no temptations at hand.
  • kay_fitnessjourney
    kay_fitnessjourney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's ok to cheat a day or two if your having a lot of cravings and you feel deprived! Don't sweat it as long as you get back on the grind the next day after you feel satisfied. We're all human, it happens!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I just log what I eat, and consider my calorie goals a daily target / guideline. I never really see my calorie goal (or saw it) as an ironclad rule that involves my "cheating" if I don't meet it on a daily or weekly basis. I see it as a target to lose X per week or month, and if I don't meet it, then I'll end up losing 75% of X or whatever.

I personally have a love-hate relationship with "rules" -- imposing an ironclad rule that involves only cheating to avoid its consequences doesn't really work for me. In fact, usually I set a calorie target (or macro targets) with a view to "coming close" to them. I don't know -- maybe psychologically (and physiologically!) I benefit both from a target and a desire to say "F-U, I do what I want!" when I exceed a target by a bit.

Does it help you to think of your target as a wall you need to hit and immediately stop (at the risk of leaping over it and going like crazy?) Is there any way you can think of it as a stop sign that you sometimes might roll through by a fair bit as long as their are no innocent bystanders in the crossing? Not trying to be a dick or a smartass - I am genuinely interested in how others set and work towards goals.
  • sophiebryce2
    sophiebryce2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quite like how Kayla Itsines says that people don't need a cheat day, or meal... But that if you really do, don't let it be either. She tells people they have a 30 minute window to eat whatever they need to eat, then that's it. Don't make it a day!
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I haven't cut anything out so I never feel like I'm cheating. I just fit it into my calorie goals.
    This, I agree
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I quite like how Kayla Itsines says that people don't need a cheat day, or meal... But that if you really do, don't let it be either. She tells people they have a 30 minute window to eat whatever they need to eat, then that's it. Don't make it a day!

I reckon I could eat like 5000 calories in a 30 minute window. At least. :P
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ^ yup. With the right foods I could easily eat 3-5k calories.
    I would also say that's it's not just a matter of boot cutting anything out and just fitting it into your goals. Some days you're just extra hungry.
    Today my diary says I'll be over 224 cals (I work graveyards and fill out my diary a day ahead so that can always change). But though I'm over 224 cals for the day I'm UNDER for the week. Because some days I'm short 50-100 cals.
    So don't forget to look at the weekly view of things.

Another thing to try is to "cheat" with "intent". If you feel like you're going to chuck it all for the day, take a breather and Plan. It. Out. Think about what foods you really want and LOG THEM FIRST. Take a good hard look at those numbers. Do they come above or below your maintenance calories? If you've looked at what you want to eat and seen the reality of the numbers and still want to go for it then give yourself permission to take that one day to eat at maintenance. You may not lose as much weight that week but you aren't gaining either, you're just slowing down a teeny bit.
    But by seeing the numbers, knowing what you're doing and then saying, "yes, this is my choice. I CHOOSE to eat this many calories today and just today," and then going ahead and doing it without guilt, the next day you won't feel like you lost all control and failed somehow.

This Saturday is my mom's birthday party and I'm already trying to figure out what will be worth it and what won't. Cheese cubes are my downfall. So I'm going to work out an allotment in my mind that I will try to stick to. No soda, but yes small slice of birthday cake. No chips, yes fruit slices. No beer, little wine, yes vodke, etc. And then try to keep it under maintenance cals.

Hope that helps.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat sour patch kids once a week. Knowing that I get that treat once a week keeps my eating in check so far. Plus, I just don't buy any extra junk. Even my kids snack on fruits and veggies so we really don't have tempting foods in the house, which really helps.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Challenge accepted!!!
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A non restrictive approach like the one @MeganAM89 would be the best way, you may lose more slowly but you won't find it hard and you may not have carvings, you can have a pair of days a week of eating at maintenance to have room for all the tasty food.

In my case I'm surrounded by healthy food, drink lots of water and avoid junk food so eating healthy most of the time becomes an habit, but when I binge for something like pizza I count it and cut calories keeping the weekly deficit.

Anticipating before the high cal. meals of commiting to balance the calories gained, the important thing is to log them to keep on track.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

This is a weekly occurrence for me ;)

OP, the only way to be successful is when you prioritise your long term goals over the 1 minute of gratitude you get from eating something. I don't particularly like eating plain ground turkey with broccoli but I know that by doing that I am getting 1 step closer to my goal.