Nutritionist advice?

Options
I've made an appointment with a nutritionist to help support my transition into maintenance/recomp. I plan to print and bring a few days worth of my food diary, either print or describe my current workout regimen, and bring my notebook where I record my weight and measurements. I have tons of questions for her regarding my current regimen and how to adjust it, plus I want to get an accurate recording of my body fat percentage as I do not completely trust my scale. Have any other folks seen nutritionists for similar reasons? Any advice or other suggestions for the visit?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    :lol: We are cynical, aren't we? Good luck whatever you decide.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    I've never used any professional for diet or nutrition. I did all my own research. But if you have some specific goals in mind, I'd say with any professional it's good to go in with a written idea of what you are wanting to accomplish so you don't get thrown off by her sales pitch. . . and there will be one, you can be sure of that.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    nichell88 wrote: »
    For the record, she is a registered dietician. She's got an RD addendum and promotes herself as a dietician/nutritionist. So no one who has responded has advice as to what else I can discuss with her? I'm going to see her, so any points other than "don't go" would be helpful and appreciated.

Well we are not you. I have learned on my own. I guess I would want to know how accurate the body fat % test would be and.....yeah, that's all.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    It seems like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to get out of the appointment. I guess the most you can hope for is that she is a good fit for you, and that you will be successful with your maintenance regime.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    nichell88 wrote: »
    For the record, she is a registered dietician. She's got an RD addendum and promotes herself as a dietician/nutritionist. So no one who has responded has advice as to what else I can discuss with her? I'm going to see her, so any points other than "don't go" would be helpful and appreciated.

Well I wouldn't have advised against the, appointment if you had mentioned prior that; they're a RD! I myself've never, been at; maintenance but when I did see 1 I prepared a, 10 question questionnaire for; my weight riddance goals!

She helped me, figure my; calorie & macronutrient goal my, appointment was for; an hour but because she hadn't dealt with my genetic liver disease she refused to, provide me with any advice/plan until; she researched my condition for nearly ¾ of that hour & that's what a professional's suppose to, do know what; they're dealing with!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've always assumed you go to an RD when you have some kind of health issue or food allergies that you need to work around or that make it difficult to eat a nutritious diet. It would never occur to me to go, absent a medical issue or challenge. I can't think of anything I would ask that I haven't already learned on my own. Let us know if they have any insights :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Asking his/her advice on what they see as significant success factors for clients who have maintained long term at goal weight after significant weight loss would be interesting.

Apart from that I would like to get a thorough understanding of how they intend estimating BF% and the margin of error their particular method entails. FYI - all methods have an element of inaccuracy.

Personally I regard maintenance as "normal" so wouldn't have slightest interest in nutritional or exercise advice as I'm happy with what I've learned.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful to provide your average daily caloric intake for the past month and your average weight loss for that month. For example - I ate on average 1,500 calories a day last month and lost 4 pounds. Provide the RD with real data so that they are not trying to calculate something new and unproven for you.
  • barbara12834
    barbara12834 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just was told my fasting blood sugar was 154 which indicates diabetes. I am reducing carbs and sugars. My weight was 129. After 4 days, my weight has dropped to 127. I need a professional to help me with my diet because I don't want to lose any more weight. I need to add calories without adding carbs and sugar. I am trying to correct my blood sugar on my own. So that I can avoid taking medication. Any ideas !!!
    BG
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I went to one a few years back when I was dealing with low blood sugar and fatigue. She was able to help me see that I was eating way too much protein and not enough carbs to fuel my workouts. It really changed the way I ate and I started to feel better. She gave me some sample meal plans that gave me examples of how many carbs I could consume. Yes, I probably could have figured that out on here now that I am more familiar with MFP, but she did help me at the time.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I work with one on a regular basis to tailor my nutrition requirements for endurance sports (ironman triathlons).

I ask questions based on how is she determining the macros splits you need? (i.e. calculation of protein/fat/carbs -especially if they deviate from what you were previously using).

do they have any recommendation for timing in relation to workouts (for typical weight loss not an issue, but if you are aiming for specific fitness goals it could be helpful
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I just was told my fasting blood sugar was 154 which indicates diabetes. I am reducing carbs and sugars. My weight was 129. After 4 days, my weight has dropped to 127. I need a professional to help me with my diet because I don't want to lose any more weight. I need to add calories without adding carbs and sugar. I am trying to correct my blood sugar on my own. So that I can avoid taking medication. Any ideas !!!
    BG

A 2 lb drop in 4 days means nothing. It's normal to fluctuates up and down a few lbs every few days. You need to track the trend for 3 to 4 weeks at least, before drawing conclusions about what is and isn't working.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    This falls into the "other suggestions" category:
    I would do some serious introspection before the appointment and try to determine where your weaknesses still are. New habits that you have carefully cultivated during weight loss are bound to be challenged in a new way now. What times of day or in what places or circumstances are you most likely to backslide? What are some strategies to help you recognize and avoid temptation?

Most good RD's have an arsenal of behavior modification techniques they can share with you, but you have to be able to articulate what your challenges are or might be -- or even what your challenges USED to be, because it's not likely the issues that made you gain weight in the first place are gone for good and forever.

Knowing how to take care of your mind and maintain healthy attitudes is equally important to fine-tuning nutritional goals.
  • addickens
    addickens Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulations as you take another step in your journey toward a healthy body weight and better health. I was 263 lbs. when I was 25 years old. I will be 62 next month and weighed 179 this morning. First off, let me tell you that I am biased toward a plant based diet and believe strongly in vigorous exercise.

I have sought the help of many experts over the years and continually try to educate myself through reading and study. I suggest that you look at the money spent for expert advise or study as an investment in your future.

The last time I spoke with a nutrition person I was mainly concerned if my plant based diet provided adequate nutrition given my level of exercise which included weight training at the time. She thought my typical diet was fantastic.

I have recently given some thought to what the last 37 years would have been like for me if I were morbidly obese as opposed to what they have been like for me working hard and yes, struggling, to maintain a health weight. I mention this because you look very young and those 37 years are likely in front of you. Maintaining a healthy weight for most of the last 37 years has affected every area of my life and has been worth all the struggling and every effort.

Keep up the hard work. Good luck.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You sound prepared. I've been seeing an RD every two weeks since last June and she has helped me all the way. Helps me stay accountable. I'm moving into maintenance myself with a new RD and I'll be seeing her tomorrow and like you I've got my food journal for the last 30 days ready and my exercise log. She said we will be playing around with numbers until we find the right balance so I can maintain weight and hopefully tone up some more. I look forward to weighing in and seeing my body fat % go down. Good luck!